Im looking for a new amp for under 500$ because my current amp sucks(fender frontman 25w). I have a fender standard stratocaster. I want to get good cleans like the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Coldplay along with decent distortion. If an amp only has good cleans could I just get a pedal for distortion and be set? Any suggestions??
used Carvin x100b's have some pretty awesome chimey cleans but for RHCP I'd be inclined to go with a fender.

As for distortion, I wouldn't rely only on a pedal on the clean channel. I think you can get a footswitch for Hot Rod Deluxes to switch to the drive channel, which if it isn't enough you can add an overdrive pedal on top of.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Last edited by Deep*Kick at Feb 5, 2009,
I have a Fender Hot Rod Deville that is great for clean tones. I have the four ten inch speaker one which is actually way too loud for me, but they make a 2 x12inch speaker one that you could find used for under $500.
Vox AC15 for sure. Great overdrive, amazing cleans. Sure it wont be amazingly loud for bigger gigs but dont forget about mic-ing the darn thing!
Fender HRD, Orange Tiny Terror, Peavey Windsor, Peavey Classic 30, Roland JC-120, used Mesa (not a Recto)

I would go Fender or JC-120.
The Classic 30 is a good British-voiced amp so it should do very well for RHCP stuff, not sure about Coldplay though. If I were to take a shot in the dark I'd say the guitarist uses Voxes (a tone which the Classic 30 can nail) but he could use Fenders.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by bulletrocks522
Fender HRD, Orange Tiny Terror, Peavey Windsor, Peavey Classic 30, Roland JC-120, used Mesa (not a Recto)

lol no. No clean headroom at all
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Peavey Classic 30, Fender HRD, Vox AC15
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I would go with a Roland JC-120.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by bulletrocks522

I've got the windsor and you really can't say good and clean in the same sentence.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
I've got the windsor and you really can't say good and clean in the same sentence.

Turn down your preamp vol and roll back your guitar vol. It actually cleans up pretty nice.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
Turn down your preamp vol and roll back your guitar vol. It actually cleans up pretty nice.

Ah, Yeah, but i think your definition of good cleans and mine are probably 2 different things.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by The Fret-Dancer
Vox AC15 for sure. Great overdrive, amazing cleans. Sure it wont be amazingly loud for bigger gigs but dont forget about mic-ing the darn thing!

A Vox's cleans kinda sound like most tube amp's clean when pushed to the point of breakup. It's a completely different kind of jangly sound thats unique, but I'm not sure thats what the OP is looking for.
Get a used Hot Rod Deluxe if you can. They're really, really good.
Gear:
Ibanez GAX-30
Hagstrom HL-550
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Ibanez TS9
jazz chorus!
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
fender hot rod deville sounds like you hands down.

the 410 will have a woodier tone and the 212 will be a bit thumpier and a little heavier.

both are nice amps, and a band that played at my bar swore by them. 1 guy had a 212 and the other a 410. have to say id go for the 410.

i have a fm25r for practice. they really are not that bad, are they?
Quote by NoSwear
Get a used Hot Rod Deluxe if you can. They're really, really good.

Hell yea'.

Slays all the lesser Laneys like butter, and I prefer it to more expensive Vox amps.
Anything with the word "Fender" on it that doesn't have the word "Frontman" on it is a straight pass to pretty cleans.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by bulletrocks522

the hot rod deluxe's drive is so mediocre its very upsetting you will need a pedal

the tiny terror sounds great with break up but cleans are lacking and its also is over priced

havent played the windsor

i'd reccommend the classic 30

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
the hot rod deluxe's drive is so mediocre its very upsetting you will need a pedal

the tiny terror sounds great with break up but cleans are lacking and its also is over priced

havent played the windsor

i'd reccommend the classic 30

HRD Drive isn't meant for things people always want it for. It really ain't that bad!! The drive on a Laney I tried was carp.
Quote by Jackolas
HRD Drive isn't meant for things people always want it for. It really ain't that bad!! The drive on a Laney I tried was carp.

that would depend heavily on the Laney you tried.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Just got home from guitar center with a used Fender Blues Jr.! Got it for 375$ and it looks new so it was a great deal. Thanks for the recommendations, this amp is sweet.
Good job
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I agree completely with the Blues Jr. and JC

Oh, wait..
Nice! how do you like it?
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
Last edited by cavalier14 at Feb 14, 2009,
its great, can't believe how much better it is than solid states! now I see why people recommend tubes so much.
Quote by Fender1222
Just got home from guitar center with a used Fender Blues Jr.! Got it for 375$ and it looks new so it was a great deal. Thanks for the recommendations, this amp is sweet.

Good job mate, the BJr is a real sweetheart. I had one and if you wanted cleans you got it.

If you want dirt get a dirty pedal. That's what I did on my BJr and works beautifully.

Check out what tubes you got in that BJr, if they're Groove tubes they were stock. Mine were Groove red labels meaning they were early breakup tubes. I didn't want early breakup so I replaced them with Mullard Reissues (Russian made) and they sounded much better.

I retubed my BH Handsome Devil with the Mullard RIs. They're pretty good tubes.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
fender hot rod or a mesa DC. both have awesome cleans and wrok really well with pedals. or you can buy a chorus pedal.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Get a Fender- pretty much anything Hot Rod Deluxe on up will work great. They are way more reliable and better for service (if you ever need it) than a majority of others in the price range. Maybe get a pedal too

Edit- Blues Jr is awesome too. Good pick up!