whenever i try to learn a scale i play it for a while till i can play it without looking at the notechart. after i play around with it for a while i move on to the next scale i want to learn and then it gets really hard to remember all these scales i learn and what not. is this just me or do i just need more practice?
Try learning how it is built, instead of just what notes are in it. EG, M3 or m3, Perfect vs flat fifth.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
If you mean the fingering patterns, I don't think it's much trouble doing the entire neck in all positions in about a week. That's just to retain it in memory without having to look at a chart. It's still pretty tenuous unless you keep practicing it. And that's just basic rote memory which is still no where near being able to use it well.

There aren't all that many scales you need to memorize. Major scale first. Harmonic Minor. Melodic Minor. Diminished. Whole Tone. If you don't stick with 1 scale for a while and work with it, and just keep jumping from one to another, you'll have a hard time remembering anything. Stick with the major scale for several months, the others can wait.
I found the columns done by ZeGuitarist were an excellent source of learning theory. Do a search for his user name and check out his stuff. You will get a very good grounding by reading the info there.
Remembering scales is no harder for our brains than memorizing phone numbers, just takes time. Spend five minutes a day going over every scale you want to memorize, each. You'll have it in no time.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Try writing something using the scale, perhaps make a little melody for each scale - it'll help for composition too. Otherwise you'll just be learning the scales for the sake of it, and doing anything just for the sake of it is always boring and bound to be forgotten.

Maybe even try recording them and then seeing if you can recognise which scale is which when played back.
Don't jump from one scale to another. Learn a scale. Then, when you are ready to move onto a new one, keep practising the other scale aswell.
I don't really know how to help, I can remember a scale really fast but it takes a while before I can apply it properly.