So, I'm going to have to solo some time in jazz band, so I was wondering if anyone had some tips to make a good solo. I don't mean the basics like scales and such, but like, a good amp/guitar tone to use, licks that sound jazzy/bluesy, and maybe a few songs that have really good (jazz) solo's that I could maybe learn and study and stuff.

Also, maybe some tips on what NOT to do. That would be really appreciated (sp?).
I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my life

But I will always find a way to survive
try to keep it fairly simple. it sounds really awkward if you try to shred or do too much in a jazz context. and as for tone, mild amounts of reverb, chorus, or even tremolo seem to go well for me
(i realize it seems odd for someone w/ punk in their user name to know about jazz, but i made this when i first started out and thought greenday were good.)
Quote by ratracekid111
And the Tax! Dear God! When I only get one virgin a month, I want the whole freakin' thing! The damn government shouldn't be chopping it in half
o.k. so which pick-up, bass, mid, and treble settings are pretty good sounding? My I was told to keep a very warm tone, but when I solo it sounds kind of awkward. Should I go for a little but more brighter tone or what?
I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my life

But I will always find a way to survive
i actually keep it somewhat bright, kinda springy i dont really know how to describe it. and i usually use the bridge pickup for soloing- even if you have a kinda warm tone, it'll make it brighter
Quote by ratracekid111
And the Tax! Dear God! When I only get one virgin a month, I want the whole freakin' thing! The damn government shouldn't be chopping it in half
You have an RG. It will be very hard for you to get a nice jazz tone out of one of those. You don't want a bright or twangy tone either. Always use the neck pickup, never the bridge. Roll of the tone and treble and make it mellow, not bright. Also pick lightly, don't dig in too much unless you really want to accent something. My best advice would be to take a solo on a rock chart rather than a swing chart. That way people will expect a rocking distorted guitar solo. Otherwise you should find a recording of the tunes you have to solo on if you can, and try to transcribe some licks.
12 fret fury
Have you ever played Jazz before? You can't expect to just start soloing in Jazz after just joining the band.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
if you haven't really played jazz too much before, you'll quickly learn that the chord changes in the song often change the scale of the song as well. Or that you have to play a different scale on each chord. I would advise you to learn and understand modes, if you havent yet done that.
And i agree with punkrock4all, try keeping it simple. In jazz, what sounds good is when you sound that youre in control over the scale and chord changes. And i think a good jazz solo isn't played 22 nps. Dont play too fast too soon.
Quote by AmIEvil?
if you haven't really played jazz too much before, you'll quickly learn that the chord changes in the song often change the scale of the song as well. Or that you have to play a different scale on each chord. I would advise you to learn and understand modes, if you havent yet done that.
And i agree with punkrock4all, try keeping it simple. In jazz, what sounds good is when you sound that youre in control over the scale and chord changes. And i think a good jazz solo isn't played 22 nps. Dont play too fast too soon.

This ^^^.

And also, jazz is known for that "loose, floaty sound". They get that by stacking a lot of thirds to avoid too much resolution in the music. Use a lot of 7th, 9th, and 11th chords, as well as diatonic thirds and some chromatic notes as well.
for the squeadlies, mash on the trembalo. for meadlies, tune up on your chord surpassers.

oh, and i'm awesome.
Bit past middle for mids, lots of bass but not too heavy on it, and just a touch of treble, that with some reverb and you're good to go...

My advice is just create phrasing licks, about 12 or so and memorize them, then jot those around your solo spot and improvise AFTER the lick... When it gets out of hand, use another lick to settle it down and carry on. You shouldn't need to use all 12 or however many you make. Nice 5 second ones.
*shrugs* I don't know...