So I want to spice up my explorer a bit, and i'm thinking the finish is close enough to a whiteboard that I can write on it, and wipe it off when needed. Would this ruin the finish at all?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
haha i hope not your probly gonna get flamed but i think its sweet if it works!
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT
at first I thought this thread would be retarded... I was wrong, If you can get the right paint. that'd be sick
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

At first I thought this thread would be retarded...I was right. This is a stupid idea.

It could work if you take off the finish and repaint it with white board finish. It will not work if you draw on it right now because it would smear and not come off probably.

Why would you ruin an explorer?
Nitrocellulose lauqer is not meant to stop the exchange of moisture with the wood, only slow it down, so yes the marker could go through the finish onto the wood. its like putting a wet glass on a table, it could leave a ring or it could not. So although it may not bleed through to the wood, there is a chance it could. I dont suggest it. And it probably wont wipe off easy like a whiteboard anyway.

EDIT: ^^i agree, it is s dumb idea you would be ruining an explorer anyway
Quote by Stiffy Maximus
i smoke some weed and get naked. thats the way to write a good song.
Last edited by Eldiablo30x6 at Feb 5, 2009,
find a spot on the guitar you cant see and make a dot and see if it will come off clean
My Gear:
Epiphone Classic Les Paul
Ibanez JS1000 w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and Pearly Gates
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
Since its only an Epiphone, Im not too sure that it would have a nitro finish... Its probably just a thick lacquer of some sort... It would probably either smear or just not come off at all... I wouldn't try it in any areas that are noticeable... Maybe try it on the back or something obscure so that its not noticeable when you are playing and leave the mark there for about 2 weeks... Try playing and seeing if it rubs off on you, or if it rubs off at all... I think it will probably not end to well, but thats just me...

If this doesnt work, you could get some sort of white board paint, or better yet chalkboard paint... That could look pretty bitchin...
Hm. What about just the pickguard? Thats solid plastic, not a finish, so would that work better? And i'm not looking at repainting the guitar. I just wanted to know if dry-erase markers would screw with the finish.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Pickguard might work, but again, plastic is a bit of a porous material, so it will probably soak in the marker... Thats the same principal for why you can "age" plastic parts by dunking them in coffee...
Darn. Any other ideas on how I could maybe add a bit of flair to the guitar?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Well, it's the Epiphone Korina Explorer, in a black finish.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Its not a white board material on your guitar.

check it out, i am a painter and I know a little about chemicals. You could write on your guitar if you wanted to assuming you wouldnt keep it there so long that it could damage your guitar.

If you do you could use a chemical available at your lowes or home depot or maybe even walmart called acetone or mineral spirits. Id try mineral spirits first. Its good ****. It will wipe clean but dont sit there and rub it all day.

Use a good cloth, not terry cloth some thing really fine and soft like a jewelry cloth and put just a little bit on the cloth. Wipe the marker. It may take a couple of seconds to get all of it off but it will. Seeing that its only a Epi. I say go for it and take my advice when you clean it.

Ive done it on my guitars with no bad luck. I did use windex on 2 different guitars and it nastied the finish but nothing I couldnt fix. (Had to use Meguiers cleaner car wax.)

Same thing with sticker residue except you have to use mineral spirits. Its better for releasing th echemical compounds in the residue and doesnt damage the finish. At least not when Ive used it. Just dont scrub it off and youll come out fine.

DO TRY IT IN YOUR CONTROL CAVITY FIRST!
Last edited by bastratard at Feb 6, 2009,