I heard that if you pull power tubes, it could act as like an attenuator. I was wondering how to do this (how to pull a tube) and what tubes to pull. Can someone like teach me how to do this on my Mesa Mark III Red Stripe head????? Thanks
Pull out 2 outside or 2 inside tubes.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
Pull out 2 outside or 2 inside tubes.

How do I pull tubes, and what do I do about ohms???:?
I would find a copy of the manual to be certain but 'usually' it is the 2 outer tubes. Always pulled in pairs. It is sometimes recommended to have the amp rebiased. Not familiar with your amp but you pull the tubes strait out. Pull hard at base. Again, check, but usually you will to cut the impedence load in half to cab. 16 ohm to 8 ohm for example. Hit up the Mesa thread if you have not already. Again, never owned a Mesa.
Ok, I pulled the tubes, plugged in the cable to the 8 OHMS jack on my head, and plugged the cable in the 16 OHMS jack on my cab, and no sound will come out. Please tell me I didnt f up my amp.
and then you have to impendence mismatch.... put a 16ohm cab into an 8 ohm jack on the amp, or 8ohm cab into a 4 ohm on the amp...

BTW, doesn't cut your volume in half...more like 12% lower or so. If you want to play your 100 watt head in your bedroom, you have two options:

1) buy an attenuator
2) buy a new amp head

If you just want a more saturated tone, might be the ticket...
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by bulletrocks522
Ok, I pulled the tubes, plugged in the cable to the 8 OHMS jack on my head, and plugged the cable in the 16 OHMS jack on my cab, and no sound will come out. Please tell me I didnt f up my amp.

Please help me
Quote by bulletrocks522

Hrm...which ones did you pull?
Quote by kcdakrt

Just looked up a schematic, you have one of those bull**** "simulclass" amps?

Flip the "class A" switch on...
Quote by kcdakrt

did you try putting them back in to see if it works with all the tubes?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
damnit, Mesa went against all conventions on this one. If my previous suggestion doesn't work, try pulling the two furthest away from the preamp tubes...looks like instead of the inside>outside arrangement, they went pair 1 tubes and then pair 2 tubes, because they have that bull**** "simulclass" thing.

Other electronics geeks, take a look at this and let me know what you think:

http://www.schematicheaven.com/mesaboogie.htm go to MArk III...
Quote by kcdakrt

Quote by danyellenik
If I could read that schematic I'd let yah know... that's horrible haha

Second page...they have a pair of output tubes running triode and a pair in the middle running pentode. BUT, check out the numbering. If they put them in the chassis that way, if you pull the outer two or the inner two, you kinda really mess the thing up (to the TS: not permanently...hopefully).
Quote by kcdakrt