Poll: Which is the better amp?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is the better amp?
Mesa boogie DC-5
6 27%
Mesa Boogie F-50
16 73%
Voters: 22.
so i've decided on a mesa for a new amp, and have narrowed it down to 2, because of my budget.

The DC-5 and the F-50 and was hoping that the ug community could help me pick.

I play everything in the rock spectrum, everything from lifehouse to slipknot.

so i ask you, which is the overall better amp?
No experience with the DC-5, but I like the F-50. It has a 'darker' rock sound, which tends to be a bit modern for my taste. But if you're into metal and alternative rock, its a solid play for the money.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Arent those the same amp just different names????
i have no experience with mesas so feel free to correct me.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
The DC series is like a happy medium between the F series and Mark series. Basically F series with a GEQ if I recall.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
They are very similar. And I would agree about the darkness of the F-50 sound (as an owner, I should know). I quite like mine. The "contour" option can really tear the house down.
Quote by handlerb
No experience with the DC-5, but I like the F-50. It has a 'darker' rock sound, which tends to be a bit modern for my taste. But if you're into metal and alternative rock, its a solid play for the money.

if it sounds modern then that should be good, most of what i play is modern stuff.

Although can anyone tell me if the clean is any good?

plus please answer for me the following stupid question...

what is a graphic EQ?
My brother owns an F-50, and personally, I just don't like the sound that much. I prefer my Boosted Valveking any day. But I am playing strictly metal. The cleans on the F-50 are absolutely MIND BLOWING.
Graphic EQ is when you have those little sliders that control specific bands of the tonal spectrum.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I'm a big F-Series fan. I think they're probably even better than the Express series.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Yea, the cleans are bloody angelic. And depending on how deep you saturate the pre-tubes, you can get it so it bites right when you dig in...clear voice though, it's fantabulous.
Quote by I Like Me.
My brother owns an F-50, and personally, I just don't like the sound that much. I prefer my Boosted Valveking any day. But I am playing strictly metal. The cleans on the F-50 are absolutely MIND BLOWING.

o.O These things were built for metal.

Hmm, the graphic EQ on the DC is a nice thing to have, the contour on the F sounds absolutely brutal and adds tons of harmonics and sustain. I've only ever played an F so I can't really compare them, but that seems to be the main difference between the two.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by theoreticmusic
I'm a big F-Series fan. I think they're probably even better than the Express series.

That's not hard to beat, the Express series suck horribly imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
That's not hard to beat, the Express series suck horribly imo.

Eh, they're an entry-level Mesa. I wouldn't say they suck horribly, but they're certainly nowhere near as good as a Lonestar or Stiletto...

I'm certainly not disappointed with mine, but I wouldn't mind something different.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Eh, they're an entry-level Mesa. I wouldn't say they suck horribly, but they're certainly nowhere near as good as a Lonestar or Stiletto...

I'm certainly not disappointed with mine, but I wouldn't mind something different.

They're horrible for the price. F anc DCs are half the price, twice the tone. That's 4 times better!

Honestly though, Mesa ought to be dropping them soon, I can't imagine them selling, especially considering it's not too hard to find a MK III (for about the same price) and F/DC (for half the price)
Quote by Kevin Saale
They're horrible for the price. F anc DCs are half the price, twice the tone. That's 4 times better!

Honestly though, Mesa ought to be dropping them soon, I can't imagine them selling, especially considering it's not too hard to find a MK III (for about the same price) and F/DC (for half the price)

I'd have a Stiletto by now, but I just farted and a T5 popped out. I definitely agree with the fact that they're too high-priced. I mean, a grand for a tiny little 112 25 watt amp? Only 2 of the "4" channels are really useable, and it doesn't really react like a true 5w Class A amp, but I'll never say that it sounds horrible.

Don't judge me.
Didn't say it sounds horrible, just said it's horrible for the price
Quote by Kevin Saale

Exactly.

If the Express were cheaper, they might be better, but for the price they're asking, they're not too great at all, especially when Mesa markets them as similar to Rectos, and they don't have nearly enough gain, or balls to even make that statement half true
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Just tried an f-50 yesterday, favorite mesa ive tried in person so far.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by MatrixClaw
Exactly.

If the Express were cheaper, they might be better, but for the price they're asking, they're not too great at all, especially when Mesa markets them as similar to Rectos, and they don't have nearly enough gain, or balls to even make that statement half true

****, I never even knew that. That's damned retarded. They're not even close to high-gain amps...

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
****, I never even knew that. That's damned retarded. They're not even close to high-gain amps...

Yeah, I went in to try one and was thinking, "This is gonna be awesome, switchable down to 5W with tons of gain... DO WANT!"

Then I plug in and I'm thinking, "WTF IS THIS!?!? LIES!!!!"

It does have nice cleans though
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Yeah, I went in to try one and was thinking, "This is gonna be awesome, switchable down to 5W with tons of gain... DO WANT!"

Then I plug in and I'm thinking, "WTF IS THIS!?!? LIES!!!!"

It does have nice cleans though

Is it just me or does switchable wattage just seem like a joke? to me all it does is make the master a bit easier to control at low volumes, something a volume box (or eq with level slider) in the loop could do just as easily.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Is it just me or does switchable wattage just seem like a joke? to me all it does is make the master a bit easier to control at low volumes, something a volume box (or eq with level slider) in the loop could do just as easily.

Eh, supposedly (with the Express, at least...) it changes it to a true class A circuit, so that it reacts as a class A circuit does, but I don't really see it unless you really crank the gain on the clean channel. The 5:25 is a bit better in this regard, but what the hell, who cares.

It certainly doesn't make much of a volume difference.

Don't judge me.
Well I love my F-50. I get jazz cleans to indie grit to classic rock crunch to teh br00tz. And almost anywhere inbetween.

No Matrix, I will not trade you.

Yes, Kevin I stole part of your sig. I like being drunk. I am now. Goodnight UG!!!!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Well I love my F-50. I get jazz cleans to indie grit to classic rock crunch to teh br00tz. And almost anywhere inbetween.

Yes, Kevin I stole part of your sig. I like being drunk. I am now. Goodnight UG!!!!

That's awesome, I was hoping it would spread.
Oh, it will.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack

So....

Wanna trade...?

You know you want to...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
So....

Wanna trade...?

You know you want to...

I've got skittles...?

Don't judge me.
Quote by MatrixClaw
So....

Wanna trade...?

You know you want to...

just noticed on your mesa price list your missing the F-50 and expresses and DC's
F-Series and DCs are discontinued. The Express series is $1499 for a 5:50 212, $1299 for a 5:50 112, $1199 (or so) for a 5:25...

But don't quote me on that.

Don't judge me.
i like my dc. never tried the f's but they made those after they made dc's so they should be a little i dont know.. metallyer?? i like the graphic eq because it amkes the amp realy versatile you can play pretty much whatever you want.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Matrix, no means no. Man, you must be a hit with the ladies...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals