If I were to buy an Ibanez XPT707FX and install a tremolo system on it later, which one should I install, and should I install it recessed?

Edge Pro, Lo Pro, Edge, Zero Resistance, Original Floyd Rose...
Don't forget Kahler, it's the shredder's choice Actually, as far as I know, only Kerry King and David Shankle use Kahler trems.

OFR is probably the best of those, imo. I'm not a big fan of any tremolo, except for Bigsby.
Actually, now that I thought about it: unless you absolutely love everything about double-locking trems, don't do it. It's not worth the trouble unless you really want it. If you love those big-ass divebombs, then it makes sense, but if you're just looking for basic trem stuff, note-bending and vibrato works just as well, and are great skills to have in the long run. They'll serve you better than just always relying on a trem. That's my opinion.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Actually, now that I thought about it: unless you absolutely love everything about double-locking trems, don't do it. It's not worth the trouble unless you really want it. If you love those big-ass divebombs, then it makes sense, but if you're just looking for basic trem stuff, note-bending and vibrato works just as well, and are great skills to have in the long run. They'll serve you better than just always relying on a trem. That's my opinion.
Well, when I get the 7-string I'll be doing a case study in Nevermore. Not sure how much Mr. Loomis uses his OFR... I've only really listened into the "This Godless Endeavor" album.
Ah. Too bad the old days of Napster are gone. You wouldn't have that problem then.

I don't listen to Nevermore, so I'm not of any experience to comment on Jeff Loomis' guitar techniques.

All I know is that the upward trem use can be duplicated just as well with simple string bending and vibrato. The only trem I trust is Bigsby.

EDIT: Why spend the money to order the damn thing have to pay labor to have it installed, unless you do it yourself? Ibanez makes quite a few sturdy seven-string guitars already equipped with double-locking trems. Specifically:

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG1527M

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG1527

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-S7320

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-APEX1

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-UV777

Given some of the above may be out of your price range, it's worth considering what you could save in the long run by avoiding ordering the parts and then paying labor to have them installed, un less you do it yourself.
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Feb 5, 2009,
i wish they would just put a damn trem on it from the factory..
id definately buy one then.
MD5K
IBANEZ
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']EDIT: Why spend the money to order the damn thing have to pay labor to have it installed, unless you do it yourself? Ibanez makes quite a few sturdy seven-string guitars already equipped with double-locking trems. Specifically:

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG1527M

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG1527

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-S7320

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-APEX1

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-UV777

Given some of the above may be out of your price range, it's worth considering what you could save in the long run by avoiding ordering the parts and then paying labor to have them installed, un less you do it yourself.
Well, we'll wait for someone who's heard Nevermore to comment on whether or not a tremolo is necessary for their case study and similar soloing.

On all those models, upper fret access isn't quite as good... body intrudes on the 22nd fret of the XPT707FX. Left horn obstructs 19th fret on UV777, APEX1, and RG1527. RG1527 and UV777 are both basswood; I'm looking for mahogany. S7320 has 22 frets, not 24... left horn obstructs 17th fret. APEX1... how easy is it to remove fret inlays? And what the hell is that tremolo thing?

Oh I'm absolutely aware of the long-term cost... it's just the above problems that are still keeping the XPT707FX viable.

Quote by TORSION
i wish they would just put a damn trem on it from the factory..
id definately buy one then.

Agreed. And black finish with black chrome hardware... none of this Chameleon gray green nonsense.
Last edited by G.9 at Feb 5, 2009,
All of that up there makes a good point, but whattya know. As our good friend and philosopher Mick Jagger says, "You can't always get what you want."

Quote by G.9
APEX1... how easy is it to remove fret inlays? And what the hell is that tremolo thing?

"That tremolo thing" is a specifically designed trem system with a "U-Bar" that allowed Munky to utilize the trem system and palm-mute without touching the fine tuners. Had you actually read the entire thing you'd know that it can easily be switched out for a regular whammy bar attachment.

Don't just slag off something simply because it looks different or if you don't recognize it. A little research goes a long way
I say that would be a major mod for a guitar like that, being an owner of one myself I wouldn't ever do it because of the cost and the fact that I have a ZR trem on my S7320 allready defies the purpose of wanting to do so.
Unless you are hellbent on Needing the 24th fret, and any sort of custom guitar is out of your price range, then you can take the chance and go for it. Be fare-warned though, the string ferrules that allow the string to be strung through the body of the guitar are far enough back that if you put a trem in, it'd have a pretty far back cavitiy after routing, and it could quite possible look really ****ty in the end.
And BTW, the upper-fret access on the xiphos is **** compared to an RG, because the lower-horn is quite close to the body in comparison for a higher fret distance than on any RG or S series, this making large stretches problematic in some situations.
But I will still answer your question and say ZR. Best trem I've played by far.
Last edited by bowen at Feb 5, 2009,
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']All of that up there makes a good point, but whattya know. As our good friend and philosopher Mick Jagger says, "You can't always get what you want."

"That tremolo thing" is a specifically designed trem system with a "U-Bar" that allowed Munky to utilize the trem system and palm-mute without touching the fine tuners. Had you actually read the entire thing you'd know that it can easily be switched out for a regular whammy bar attachment.

Don't just slag off something simply because it looks different or if you don't recognize it. A little research goes a long way
Only thing that gets in the way of the Apex for me is the upper fret access. But I guess it'll help get me technically better... or it could be just obstructive, whatever.

Apologies. Concerning the fret inlays? How much would it cost to get those removed and replaced with just regular dots?

Quote by bowen
I say that would be a major mod for a guitar like that, being an owner of one myself I wouldn't ever do it because of the cost and the fact that I have a ZR trem on my S7320 allready defies the purpose of wanting to do so.
Unless you are hellbent on Needing the 24th fret, and any sort of custom guitar is out of your price range, then you can take the chance and go for it. Be fare-warned though, the string ferrules that allow the string to be strung through the body of the guitar are far enough back that if you put a trem in, it'd have a pretty far back cavitiy after routing, and it could quite possible look really ****ty in the end.
And BTW, the upper-fret access on the xiphos is **** compared to an RG, because the lower-horn is quite close to the body in comparison for a higher fret distance than on any RG or S series, the making large stretches problematic in some situations.
But I will still answer your question and say ZR. Best trem I've played by far.

Explain this upper fret access on horn thing a little more. S7320 was my previous choice. For me, the fact that Nevermore occasionally hits 23-24 frets was not enough justification, but then I started thinking about the neck and how much that horn really does obstruct. But according to you it offers better grip and vantage... explain.
Last edited by G.9 at Feb 5, 2009,
Upper fret access is no problem. Dremel power tools there's various tools that can help you scallop the lower horn to give you greater access. Herman Li had it done on his signature E-Gen, and it gave him perfect access all the way to the 24th. As much as I hate Li, a good idea like that deserves respect.

Hell if I know. I consider it an insult to mess with the inlays. Ibanez sells necks and parts, I'm sure you could find a suitable neck with regular dot inlays. There's a link from their website, or there should be.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Upper fret access is no problem. Dremel power tools there's various tools that can help you scallop the lower horn to give you greater access. Herman Li had it done on his signature E-Gen, and it gave him perfect access all the way to the 24th. As much as I hate Li, a good idea like that deserves respect.

Hell if I know. I consider it an insult to mess with the inlays. Ibanez sells necks and parts, I'm sure you could find a suitable neck with regular dot inlays. There's a link from their website, or there should be.
Hmm... well I looked it up. Apparently it's a special "APEX Prestige" neck, so I guess I can assume only that neck will work as given on the parts page? And I think it has the inlays on it.
My next best guess is to take one of the other non-sig models that I posted and just scallop the lower horn to give you better access, cause I'm not finding anything on another possible neck.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']My next best guess is to take one of the other non-sig models that I posted and just scallop the lower horn to give you better access, cause I'm not finding anything on another possible neck.
RG is basswood. So I guess I'm back to where I started: S7320.
I'm sure you could find a 24 fret neck to fit the S7320. Scallop the lower horn if need be. If not, you can always use the trem or bend on the 22nd fret to get it up to a two octave sound from the open string.
From the Ibanez Parts site or elsewhere? Because I looked up the necks, found one for the S7320 but it's the stock 22-fret one... so I looked up all the necks and they all seem to be specific to a guitar model.
Quote by G.9
Explain this upper fret access on horn thing a little more. S7320 was my previous choice. For me, the fact that Nevermore occasionally hits 23-24 frets was not enough justification, but then I started thinking about the neck and how much that horn really does obstruct. But according to you it offers better grip and vantage... explain.

As in, when you get up past the 15th fret with your index finger for sweeps and other lead techniques, and one goes to do a farther stretch, your hand will jut out at the wrist to compensate for the distance your fingers want to cover. In doing this action, the horn gets in the way, and makes you have to "hug" onto the neck when doing stretches, or shift your technique to having your fingers on angle with the fretboard, which can be a hassle, and feel unnatural for a lot of people.
I'm not sure what you mean by stating that I said that it gives better grip and vantage, because it wasn't what I meant if you re-read over my post. It gets in the way is my biggest problem with it's obtruse size just to make the body look a little more extreme, it isn't very practical sadly.
Are you strictly looking into Ibanez guitars, or can you look into Schecter's? I can tell you that a lot of the Nevermore leads that include the 23rd and 24th fret are just taps extending sweeps that Jeff does, and only when he does his improvised solo stuff that he might get up to those high frets with some alternate runs and the such, but I wouldn't say it's a must have for a guitar, but rather a preferance.
try to neck from the RG 7-strings. It should be a good fit. They only have them organized by what model they correspond to. You can probably swap the necks out. If not, I'm sure there are other websites that can help you out.
Ive been searching about this obviously too, Its more economical to buy a razorback 7 string if you just want a similar shaped guitar. I heard the dude from necrophagist had a custom one built with a trem You gotta factor in 150 at least for labor plus 300 or whatever for the bridge YOu gotta love that chameleon paint job though
Why not ignore the inlays of the APEX1? Yeah, it's a Korn sig, but it's rather unique because it has 24 frets, a (good) trem, a thin neck, and a mahogany body.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?