So. I was thinking. Buying bulk means deep discounts. Mass production means less time and more profit. A lot of guys here sell parts. Now I do not mean to step on anyones toes... but I think we could kick it up a notch. Metalwarrior40 could do inlays, I can take care of fretboards (maybe electronics as well)

I know people here have some good connections. Maybe a bit more helping each other out and using purchasing power would be an excellent idea....
Yup, I'd be willing to do custom inlay work for parts and stuff like that, so who else is in?
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Lp just ruined this guys dreams lol
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
if you want to make fretboards, it's cheaper to buy long lengths of wood, resaw, surface and slot with a multi-blade table saw but you'd still have to spend XXX hours on resawing, surfacing and slotting with the table saw... if you do radiused boads, you'll have to get a special jointer blade made up to expedite that...

with all of that time, you'd have to charge $100 a board to make up for the 4 hours it takes to make one.

inlays are usually cut on cnc machines in a production environment. for someone to cut each inlay out with a saw, file them to shape and test fit each piece exactly is enough to drive a person nuts... especially when someone says "wow man i'll buy that sistene chapel inlay off of you for 50 bucks!!!" after it took you 500 hours to cut, shape and form each piece.

I make/sell fretboards too but it's a loss of money and a waste of time so I don't list that as a viable part unless someone says "hey do you have any ____ you could make a fretboard out of?"

i get bulk pricing through mojo musical supply... but you have to order 5, 10, 100 of the same part to see a few % discount.

Unfortunately, we all have to face one fact. Guitar building is a money pit. You blow 100 hours on perfect work and people want the 250 dollar ****cter at guitar center. I've made a few bucks profit on pickups but, unless i'm charging $130 like the other guys do (which i DONT), i'm losing money because of the time involved. It takes about 2 hours start to finish to wind and assemble a pickup. if you wind a dead coil or if the wire breaks you have to cut the wire out and do it again which takes more time.

everyone wants something for nothing - which is why american manufacturing is in the sh*t house. All the garbage made in china is flourishing because nobody wants to spend 50 dollars on a broom, they want to spend 5. I hear time and again "why should I spend 70 for your pickup when I can get one from guitar fetish for 35?". Basically put, people and cheapskates and unless you make something that will save their life, they'll haggle with you on price.

I bet people would complain if the cure for cancer were 5 dollars more than chemotherapy without all of the side effects and agony...

>.>

<.<

wait... where am i?
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8

everyone wants something for nothing - which is why american manufacturing is in the sh*t house. All the garbage made in china is flourishing because nobody wants to spend 50 dollars on a broom, they want to spend 5. I hear time and again "why should I spend 70 for your pickup when I can get one from guitar fetish for 35?". Basically put, people and cheapskates and unless you make something that will save their life, they'll haggle with you on price.

I deal with this constantly, working in a music store trying to sell people decent stuff. It really drives me nuts when people are willing to buy pure rubbish because it's cheap. I'd buy your pickups instead of GFS ones because I'm sure they're tons better (I'm just broke).

But I'm in the minority. Hopefully one day people will pull their heads out of their ***es and buy decent products.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer