I've got a 65 Fender Mustang Reissue with Cool Rails on the neck and Hot Rails on the bridge. Now I am pretty sure this guitar wasn't designed with any metal or heavy sound in mind as it came with some pretty weak factory standard single coils, but I believe the Hot Rails do help so anybody have any suggestions on what I could do to get that Avenged Sevenfold sound. I really like the thickness and clairity of their distortion and I love the sound of their lead guitars.

I'm looking for a good heavy sound with some clairity in the tone and any tricks to get that lead sound would be appreciated. Any pedal/equipment suggestions?
To be at peace would be a sin. It's surely unAmerican.
Quote by garretw28
wear a lot of eyeliner. that might work.

this. plus wah.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by garretw28

haha. This

Then hire a terrible vocalist and a guitar player with a degree in music theory and a drummer with a double bass.
Quote by garretw28

True story, A7X once asked my mums friend if they could borrow her eyeliner.

Oh, and TS, I'm sure their settings are in the Ultimate Settings thread, I've seen them there before.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by silversoulcage
haha. This

Then hire a terrible vocalist and a guitar player with a degree in music theory and a drummer with a double bass.

Haha. I might try that and see how it works.

It's a shame that I like his vocals on the album but hearing them live is unpleasant. It's amazing what studio editing can do. A lot of the music industry is based off lies as I've noticed a lot of bands have this problem.

I still dig their guitar tone though.
1.Take your guitar and amp
2.go to your restroom with a bucket
3.extract a sufficient amount of toilet water from said toilet
5. Pour over aforementioned guitar and amp
7. Hire someone with an acute speaking disorder
8. Attend musical theory school, wear eyeliner

there you go
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
Quote by ILIKEMUSICALOT
Haha. I might try that and see how it works.

It's a shame that I like his vocals on the album but hearing them live is unpleasant. It's amazing what studio editing can do. A lot of the music industry is based off lies as I've noticed a lot of bands have this problem.

I still dig their guitar tone though.

Yea dude a great deal of vocalist have that same problem. I'll admit synyster gates is a beast but I don't much care for their music over all.
If it weren't for the hilariousness of the replies here. I'd be ****ting all over this thread and probably have been banned by now
Quote by silversoulcage
Yea dude a great deal of vocalist have that same problem. I'll admit synyster gates is a beast but I don't much care for their music over all.

Yeah, I like their Waking The Fallen album, I don't really like their City of Evil album, and their latest self title one has some good ones, but it's also just a "meh" album for the most part.

Synyster IS a beast and they write some awesome riffs. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't give a rats ass about em.
God im sick of you people ragging on avenged sevenfold all the time. I dont like them really either, and they are cheesy, but id bet my entire rig you wouldnt all kill to be them!

/minirant.

I know they use SD invader pickups, and used bogner ubershcalls until recently i believe.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I like their vocalist's screaming/growling, he does that well, dunno live :P ahahaha I just watched unholy confessions live to see how it is, lots of girl screaming, and not very good vocals, no.

Waking the fallen is pretty nice, sounding the seventh trumpet is ok too, rest is rubbish
Last edited by Mosho2 at Feb 6, 2009,
Jebus! It's cool if you guys don't like the band, but please, this man has questions that need answers!

From what I've looked into, they use Schecter guitars w/Duncan Invader pickups in the bridge, and Bogner Uberschalls for amps. Although who knows, this could have changed. I was into everything up to City of Evil, but haven't really paid attention to anything since the newest album.

Supposedly, they used Mesa Rectos back on Sounding the Seventh Trumpet, but I haven't found any source that confirms that (which sucks since I like that tone!).

So basically, pretty high end amps are gonna be ideal, but there are cheaper alternatives if you don't have a boat load of cash. What amp are you using now? Hot rails will definitely be better for this sound than single coils, but I'm not sure by how much. Start with the amp though, what are you using?
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Amps :
Marshall JCM800's
Bogner Uberschall and Caveman
Krank Revolution
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier

Pickups :
Seymour Duncan Invaders SH-8

Pedals :
Visual Sound H20 Liquid Chorus and Echo
Custom Boost for Solos
Krank Distortus Maximus
MXR Wylde Overdrive
Boss SD-1
Boss PH-3
Boss RV-5
Boss CS-3
Boss BF-3
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi Fuzz
Seymour Duncan SFX-01 Pickup Booster
Line 6 Constrictor
Boss Noise Supressor

All controlled with a Voodoo Labs GCX and DMC ground control\rack unit.

Speaker Cabinets :
Marshall 4x12 cab
Bogner Uberkab 4"x12" and standard Bogner 4"x12"
Mesa/Boogie 4"x12" dual Recto Cabinet
Krank Revolution 4x12" cabinet (main)
Quote by dcdossett65
God im sick of you people ragging on avenged sevenfold all the time. I dont like them really either, and they are cheesy, but id bet my entire rig you wouldnt all kill to be them!

/minirant.

I know they use SD invader pickups, and used bogner ubershcalls until recently i believe.

I dont think anyone here would KILL to be them. Even if you did get the gig after killing someone your in jail so whats the point.

Ohh and Ill be taking your rig now..........
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Feb 6, 2009,
ok, if you actually want real advice,
get seymour duncan invader pup's,
its wat gates uses,
they sound of ****, but if u liek that kinda thing, then get them

kinky...
Seriously, can't ANYONE ask about A7X tone without the thread degenerating into emo-bashers and people bagging the band?

A cheaper alternative to a Bogner Uberschall is to use a distortion pedal (Metal Muff, Metal Core, etc) with an EQ and fiddle with the settings a little... I managed to get a good Syn sound out of my old amp with my Metal Core pedal and an EQ with lows at 8, mids at 4 and highs at 7.
Actually post #2 nailed it.

My comment about the Pit was not related to A7X. I don't have a problem with them. My comment was based on the fact it amazes me how people go on pick-up searches and people are always willing to throw out recommendations without understanding the rest of the TS's gear. Besides, this TS asked for other pedal/equipment recommendations. That's pretty hard if we don't know what amp he's using.