There was a thread from December about rack mountable heads, but it didn't go quite into the detail I would like, and I'm not one to necropost - ergo new thread.

There's a head that I'm STRONGLY considering buying. The thing is, it's a rack-mountable version. Now I don't own a rack; I don't consider myself enough of a tone purist to desire to own a rack (not yet anyway).

My question is this, but please feel free to add any information or discussion you feel is relevant at all to the issue: can I get the head and simply lay it atop a cab without fear of damage?

Go.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Just get a small crate with rack positions in it. You can use it to mount your head and have storage for cables and pedals and what not.
I'd recommend a GATOR crate.
Recommendations are good! I'll definitely look into that, and it's probably what I'll end up doing.

Nonetheless, keep the feedback coming.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

Most rackmountable heads have feet for you to do that. My SM-900 has it's own rack case that only fits it and nothing else.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Ok, well, I'm helpless, so if I were to get a rackmount, I'd appreciate a specific suggestion there. As in, a link. Keeping in mind, of course, that budget is a major issue.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

hmm.

put a little piece of carpet under it. if it would damage anything, that should stop said damage.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I mean, if their was a danger of damage, would it be more in having it directly on the cab, or just in transport of the head itself?

If I sound annoying, it's because I want to ask as many questions as possible before tomorrow, when it's actually possible for me to buy.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

Obviously you're going to want to protect your head as much as possible, but so long as you're going to be careful with your stuff, you can transport it on a car seat or some such like that. Something like this:
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_SKBR4%20Space%20Roto%20Rack%20Case_-1_10052_10002_-49970479_cmCategorySA182982
will do the trick. Obviously though you'll want to shop around and find a better price than $110+
What amp is it? Many rackable amps do just fine sitting out on their own.
Nope, no sig here.
many rackmount head have feet anyway as mentioned. my guitarist buit his own rack. He said it's really easy you could just buy some plywood. carpet it and then put in the metal pieces than mount it. probably could pick them up at a good guitar shop(maybe) or get them at a hardware store. This is probably the cheapest protective solution.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
my LH500 is rackmountable but it's ok without a rack because it's got feet on the bottom and the fan is on the back so it shouldn't cause any damage
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
my LH500 is rackmountable but it's ok without a rack because it's got feet on the bottom and the fan is on the back so it shouldn't cause any damage

The only foreseeable issue to me is the whole ventilation thing, and as long as the fan isn't on the bottom as Dan has implied, you would actually get better ventilation outside of a rack.

The rack only becomes benificial if you're gigging twice a week and really throwing that head around, or you also buy a rackmount compressor/effects unit and a power supply and want all of that in one managable space.

If you do buy a rack, be really careful with the dimensions, some shallow racks won't fit amps, and on the flip side I have cheap musicians friend house brand racks and they're about 7 feet deep and it's a real pain in the ass to route cables to the rack effects hidden deep inside.
Quote by RX120D
Just get a small crate with rack positions in it. You can use it to mount your head and have storage for cables and pedals and what not.
I'd recommend a GATOR crate.

+1
Scan ebay abd you can get a 4u for practically nothing, it will do the job. Personnally, if its a rack head, put it in a rack i would. It'll make it easier and safer. If you want a really good one for for SKB.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Thanks for the feedback guys, for the record I went ahead and ordered the head. An Ashdown MAG 600R - the discontinued rackmountable version. Got it for $330.

I'm actually not sure whether or not it has feet (I know, I should've researched everything first, but I didn't want it bought right under my nose like happened last time!). I'm guessing it does, but perhaps someone has some information there?

Here, let's look at Ashdown's site together: http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=legacy&ID=140

Now just according to that picture, it seems the vents are going to be on the sides, though I'm not sure if it would have more on the bottom - I'm guessing not. Moreover, the picture, if you look closely, DOES have the head directly on top of a cab. That doesn't necessarily mean it's alright, but, eh, I want to trust Ashdown!
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

Theres two fans on the rear of it and no feet, theyll be room in the rack for air to get those vents. You could also get a small fan top be external and attaqch it on the back of the rack.

$300 is killer, i got min e for 300 euros and then 22 for postage, so you got a way better deal, but m50 cent a watt is still great.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul