Hey all,

I've really been into maiden lately and have been trying to perfect the a style such as Steve Harris's. I'm doing alright, but i'm having trouble getting his sound. I know he never touches a pick, so I don't, and i know he uses his fingernails, too, so im gunna let mine grow a little. Also, I need new strings so i'm gunna order his signature strings, also because ive never played flatwound before.

I understand that I can never fully get his sound, no matter what, especially since i don't have his amp either.

But I do have a 7 band EQ on a Peavey TKO 115 Sheffield. I figure I can get mildly close.

So any help on where my settings should be at? I was thinking sort of higher mids and treble with a flat low end, but i cant find a good spot yet.

Thanks a ton everyone.
Doesn't he tend to push down more then pluck with his picking fingers. Unless that's the right way to play, when I play bass I usually pluck the strings upwards and it doesn't twang as much.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
harris used to put talcum powder on his fingers.

He also has a special custom set of strings from Rotosound I believe, so that'll have something to do with it as well.
It doesn't, but what good is putting talcum powder on your fingers if you're not pulling them across the string?
Fender precision bass with heavy flatwounds and a very heavy attack so that the strings bounceon the fretboard is the key. I cannot remember his amp situation.

Cranking treble is not a good idea, as it will just sound harsh with his attack.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Fender P bass, his signature strings, dig in hard near the bridge, cranked mids, flat treble and bass would be a god place to start.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Do NOT play near the bridge. That is exactly how one prevents the "clanking" sound.
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
Steve's action is so low the 'clanking' sound is inevitable.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Feb 6, 2009,
Not enough stress can be placed on the fact that his sound comes from a P-Bass with Seymours and flatwounds. Then, once you have that, play hard enough to be heard over three guitar players. Done.

If you don't have that exact setup, you won't get his exact sound.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Ivanator
Do NOT play near the bridge. That is exactly how one prevents the "clanking" sound.

I agree. you can get roundwounds to "clank" if you play near the neck. try eg: resting your thumb on the neckjoint.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Feb 6, 2009,
Hit the strings. Don't pluck, or twang. Hit those strings. Your fingers should hurt after playing a Maiden song. Hit them really, really hard. It also helps I have a Harris patch on my Bass PODXT :p

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Duncan Quater Pounders would be a good start.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
rotosound heavy flatwound jazz strings (50-110) or his signature pair the only difference between them is steve's sig pair have the man u color string wraps and about 20 bucks. his amp is impossible to duplicate cause its some stupid one of sorta deal that is rarer then then a good coldplay song. Seymour and badass bridge on a p bass treble up helps and yah play like u wanna break the strings don't worry u wont
Keep On Keepen' On
not enough people here have stressed the "p-bass sound".

he used to have a signature model p bass that was made by Fender of Japan, but they discontinued it as it was so quality it outsold American P basses.

Search for one used. Probably worth the price you'll pay.

Truthfully, his sound is a clanky, trebly p-bass. And that's about it. Not a ton of technique (but it'll help), not a tone of rig or strings (but it'll help). Mostly pure p-bass at its best.

see also: Mike Dirnt, Donald "Duck" Dunn, Duff McKagan.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
The Steve Harris sig p-bass was a Japanese made P-bass with a seymour duncan quater pounder and a bad ass II bridge. The bad ass improves sustain and bass response, while the quater pounder provides insane output and scoop. That's the key. So, pickups and bridge should get you on your way. Harris himself used an overwound custom made SPB-1, though.

That clanking bass sound is in the "upper-mids" so, an amp with a 4 or more band EQ or an EQ pedal could really help you attain that sound. I think he's also using a pick, and from what I've seen, he strikes the strings about 3/4 between the bridge and the pickup. I'll through a recording of my p-bass up trying to get that sound.

edit: ok, I tried to do it, but none of the models in Gearbox really give me the attack I need for this. And he does not use a pick, I checked it out. You're gonna need an amp with serious gain for a bass amp.
Last edited by Thomme at Feb 6, 2009,
Quote by Thomme
The Steve Harris sig p-bass was a Japanese made P-bass with a seymour duncan quater pounder and a bad ass II bridge. The bad ass improves sustain and bass response, while the quater pounder provides insane output and scoop. That's the key. So, pickups and bridge should get you on your way. Harris himself used an overwound custom made SPB-1, though.

That clanking bass sound is in the "upper-mids" so, an amp with a 4 or more band EQ or an EQ pedal could really help you attain that sound. I think he's also using a pick, and from what I've seen, he strikes the strings about 3/4 between the bridge and the pickup. I'll through a recording of my p-bass up trying to get that sound.

edit: ok, I tried to do it, but none of the models in Gearbox really give me the attack I need for this. And he does not use a pick, I checked it out. You're gonna need an amp with serious gain for a bass amp.

You forgot Flatwound strings, one of the most important elements.
Quote by watchingmefall
You forgot Flatwound strings, one of the most important elements.

didn't know that, that actually makes a lot of sense... wierd... didn't know he used flats.