Hey all, I've got a 1988 Epiphone Spotlight, fairly rare guitar and super awesome....Problem is, mine was a pawn shop find and is in fairly rough condition as it is. The neck and fretboard are in top-notch condition, however the electronics have gone to hell, the tuners slip horribly, and the trem has shot craps.

My question is since the trem is so unstable and old, would it be a good idea to replace it first before anything else? And specifically what kind of after-market trem should I be looking at? It appears to be a pretty standard Strat block style trem, but I could be wrong...anybody know what would fit? I attached a picture just to get an idea of what I'm dealing with...

Thanks a lot guys.

trem is a fender style 2 point trem. look at wilkinson, they make a good trem in that style.

just rip out the electronics and replace them with brand new parts either alpha or CTS

replace the tuners with either schaller, gotoh or wilkinson tuners of the same style
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
those are GREAT guitars, nice poly-fiber fretboard and stuff and neck-through design. You want new pickups, those are junk, you want gotoh tuners locking tuners if you want to use that tremolo. a new gotoh tremolo would make that guitar the cats ass as well. you can get all of this from allparts, and its 35% off if you order through me and soon.
damn that's nice. maybe put locking tuners and definitely the gotoh trem or a trem king. I'm using the tk on my build
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Last edited by bv310 at Feb 6, 2009,
I wish epiphone still made guitars like this one... This thing is beautiful.

And TS I would add something more helpful but its pretty much all been said.
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
the PRS lawsuit was amusing
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by LP Addict
i have read that they got in some legal trouble because of this guitar.

gibson in legal trouble... never... they're usually the ones giving people hard times for using their ideas in the slightest (didn't they sue like B.C. Rich, Ibanez, or jackson one of those 3). but what did these legal troubles involve, if anyone knows. also that guitar looks sexy. i agree with LP though, just replace the stuff that isn't so good. and also if you don't want to use the tremelo, i think you can do something that's called blocking off.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
im surprised they didnt sue washburn with their RS-10Vs, those guitars were so bad ass, too bad washburn equipped them with their horrible tremolos.

PRS did take them to court, there is no doubt about that, just look it up.

gibson sued ibanez 1978/1979 over their japanese les paul production knockoffs, everything before 1978 is known as a "lawsuit" model, even if its a cheap plywood **** knockoff, ibanezs are the real "lawsuit" guitars.
Last edited by LP Addict at Feb 6, 2009,
Quote by bv310
the PRS lawsuit was amusing

so PRS sued them, that what i guessed but didn't want to take the leap. i guess its because the cutaways don't look all that similar (the upper i gues horn looks smaller than a PRS one) and PRS have that deep cutawy on the lower cutaway.
Edit - i guess it is called a heel, but i think those are on the neck and body binding in the back.

Edit - ^ to LPs post then who sued jackson , cause i thought they got sued which is why they have the upside down headstock.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Last edited by F8iscruel at Feb 6, 2009,
This guitar is beautiful. I'd love to have one.

Apparently the highest-end model of these came with a double-locking Steinberger trem.
Quote by Xoth
This guitar is beautiful. I'd love to have one.

Apparently the highest-end model of these came with a double-locking Steinberger trem.

Truth, though I've heard those Steinbergers wore out pretty fast though. The image I posted was one I just found on Google, sadly mine has had his lovely natural body painted black....so disappointing, but I think once I get this project on its way and order the new parts, I'll rip it apart and get it back to original

Thanks for the help guys! I did some looking and actually found some Gotoh and Wilkinson trems that look as though they'd work. Just to be safe, I think I'll take the guitar in and have a nice chat with a techy, I doubt anyone would care working on such a beautiful and rare guitar, this things build quality is immense...I'll post the Spotlight up when its done
i thought gibson sued Ibanez for their explorer knock offs? EVH had an Ibanez explorer and he took a hacksaw to it, he then realized that he lost a lot of his tone when he did that and wanted a new one from Ibanez but they were discountinued because of legal troubles with Gibson

Well that what i heard anyway