So i've recently come into some money, about 1,500 AUD and i'm pretty intent on upgrading my behringer (life-changing mistake ) or my bass, MIM p-bass & SX p-bass special copy.

If i sold the p-bass i could probably get up to 2 grand AUD as the SX's tone is seriously better then the P-bass, maybe i got a good piece of wood but it really stands out from the p-bass to the extent that i only use the P about once a week. I was looking at the aerodyne P-bass (because i'm in love with it) and i was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions and or experience with the aerodyne.

The behringer i'm going to have to upgrade in the future i guess but i don't know whether i should do it now or later. The few shops around me have mostly no-name brands, but there's this one shop that has Orange amps AND Trace elliots. And i was wondering if any of you guys had any experience / feedback / opinions on which to get on either of these brands. I'm definately looking to get a head and cab and i was looking at either the 115 on orange or 410 for a cab and the AD200B head. Still not sure about trace elliot as i havn't had a look yet.

Soo. Any suggestions?
find an ampeg 810 with and ampeg head and thats all you will probably ever need
Gear

82' Gibson Les Paul w/ EMG KFK
Schecter Limited Edition C-1 Artist
Fender Fat Strat
B-52 AT100 Head
B-52 AT100 Cab
Blackstar ht-distx
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
no and he wont be able to afford it
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
what would 4500 aus be in us dollars close to 2500 or less? you can get a used 810 for 600 to 800 and a head for maybe 1200 used but thats US dollars.
and what is better in your opinion than ampeg? anyone i know that is big has that because it is the best.
Gear

82' Gibson Les Paul w/ EMG KFK
Schecter Limited Edition C-1 Artist
Fender Fat Strat
B-52 AT100 Head
B-52 AT100 Cab
Blackstar ht-distx
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
Last edited by trlrdrmatt at Feb 6, 2009,
^ Ampeg is not for everyone, and you didn't even ask what style of music he plays. Bad form, sir.

I'd definitely do the amp now...the basses you have will last a while.

As far as what's at that store, try the stuff out and see what you like. Also tell us what the no-name brands at the other stores are...there are a few aussie brands that are quite good, and are much cheaper since they aren't imported. I think Jansen was one.

edit: also, $1500AUS is $988USD, but Austrailia and NZ get gouged down there....I'm notreally sure how the price translates over once you take that into account.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 6, 2009,
I wish i had that money...I whole heartidly recommend orange they are awesome amps and if I had the would most likely purchase a Orange stack/halfstack.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Quote by Mutant Corn
^ Ampeg is not for everyone, and you didn't even ask what style of music he plays. Bad form, sir.

I'd definitely do the amp now...the basses you have will last a while.

As far as what's at that store, try the stuff out and see what you like. Also tell us what the no-name brands at the other stores are...there are a few aussie brands that are quite good, and are much cheaper since they aren't imported. I think Jansen was one.

edit: also, $1500AUS is $988USD, but Austrailia and NZ get gouged down there....I'm notreally sure how the price translates over once you take that into account.

Workman and monster are the no-name brands.

The MIM was selfbuilt by the previous owner btw and i think that's why the tone isn't great. Plus the SX has lasted me 4 years and the tone is kind of bland compared to say, anything except for a t-bird :p

Also, we don't get ampeg down here unless you buy off ebay. Which i don't trust.
iv seen ampeg stuff at Billy Hyde, hell iv played through some. also labsystems is another Australian brand
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Nah, last time i checked billy hyde was sold out. And the only time i've ever seen a labsystems amp was in footscray and it was pretty wack.
amp before bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Bass First

The MIM was selfbuilt by the previous owner btw and i think that's why the tone isn't great. Plus the SX has lasted me 4 years and the tone is kind of bland compared to say, anything except for a t-bird :p

Did you try just checking out the electronics on the p bass? The builder could have put in pots or a cap with strange values (I bought a bass that came that way once) which can actually make a huge differance on the tone. Even if that's not the case you could just install a new pup

I'd focus on upgrading the amp right now (A new amp might even bring out different qualities in your two basses) and in the meantime see if there isn't something very easily fixable on your p-bass.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I'd focus on upgrading the amp right now (A new amp might even bring out different qualities in your two basses)

This. Behringers have horrible sound quality, and anything will sound muddy through them. And as far as the basses go, check the pots on the P-bass, but keep in mind that SX's don't sound bat at all...you might just like the tone of it better.

As for the no-namers, I can't find anything on them (typical..), but if they have one big enough I'd at least try it out. Just because it's not a mainstream brand doesn't mean it's bad.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
This. Behringers have horrible sound quality, and anything will sound muddy through them. And as far as the basses go, check the pots on the P-bass, but keep in mind that SX's don't sound bat at all...you might just like the tone of it better.

As for the no-namers, I can't find anything on them (typical..), but if they have one big enough I'd at least try it out. Just because it's not a mainstream brand doesn't mean it's bad.

I've tried them all out, they are on par or slightly better then the behringer.
The workman's are pretty sturdy sounding though but they're a tad expensive.

Also, i checked over the P-bass like twice when i got it, everything except removing the neck, it's all in order, he might of used a different kind of wood though, but i can't identify it, definately a fender neck though.
Also, mutant, was the SX or the Fender the first bass in your blog (what does price have to do with tone)?
Well, talking about behringer, i was talking to this guy today and he says his behriger was th ebst amp he ever owned, and he has an ashdown mag now. I honesly believe him, His been playing along time, and has always had a sturdy tone, so i for one believe that behringer now and again have a Beautiful gren apple amoung all the rotting fruit.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Well, talking about behringer, i was talking to this guy today and he says his behriger was th ebst amp he ever owned, and he has an ashdown mag now. I honesly believe him, His been playing along time, and has always had a sturdy tone, so i for one believe that behringer now and again have a Beautiful gren apple amoung all the rotting fruit.

I don't doubt it.

I refer to it as the sweet lemon theory. every once and a while, a citrus farmer will get a sweet lemon.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

What good's a sweet lemon?
EDIT: what do you guys think of DiMarizo and/or Seymour duncan bassline pickups?
Actually originally lemons are quite sweet its just ones we buy are sour.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
^yes, but this one was even sweeter.
Quote by Bass First
What good's a sweet lemon?
EDIT: what do you guys think of DiMarizo and/or Seymour duncan bassline pickups?

my Dad grew one. tasted like extra sour lemonade.

he told me not to take all of it though. everyone in the family had a piece.

he said it was rare, and then gave some speech about gardening.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Bass First
Your dad grew DiMarizo and seymour duncan pickups?

lol. citrus.

he still does, but the lemon tree died.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Gallien Krueger 1001RB and a 410 cab. Instant win.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Mmkay, so i'm leaning towards selling the behringer and the P-bass to get the Orange halfstack and replace the pickups in my SX unless i find a bass that i fall in love with before then.

Whatchoo guys think?

EDIT: Also, there's no GK retailers at all arond here as far as i know.
If you can, I'd ask the store owner if you can bring your basses in and try them through the amp. That way there's no risk of selling one, only to find out you like the other better.

However, if you do like the SX better, that seems like a solid plan. I'd try to do it without selling the P-bass if you can, though. It's always nice to have a backup, as I found when my Squier's neck went to hades. If I hadn't had my SX, I'd have been stuck gigging with an acoustic.

Oh, and I'll pm you about the blog...I don't want to answer in a thread. It defeats the purpose of it.

edit: V lol
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 8, 2009,
I'm not really into the gig scene atm, i've only done like 5 or 6 and i doubt there'll be any this year apart from school. I guess i could always try and get a $50 bass from a pawnshop somewhere and go nuts with electronics and a bandsaw.

EDIT: i just got the a-maize-ing joke.
If you like the SX there is no reason to upgrade, other than you want a different brand name on it.
I'd definitely look at the Orange amps, I love their tone. Save getting a new bass for the future.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
I would say go with a mid 80's Trace elliot, they have great sound and eqing with 7 and 10 band eqs. They also are usually 200 to 500 watts. Plus i got my 200 watt trace for roughly $400 USD. Pretty inexpensive if I do say so myself. And if you hook up a cab to a trace elliot, you get a WAY louder than normal.
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Trace Elliot GP7SM 200watt bass combo
I went down to the store last night and the only trace elliot that have is the ah series i think it was, the massive 810 ones.