K so I'm fairly new at guitar (playing for about a year) and before i started playing, I saved up a LOT of money to buy one and i got a Gibson les paul...needless to say people were like Wtf...

a lot of people look at my as the "spoiled rich kid" and they think my parents bought it for me...which is not true, i had to work hard for a long time..

anyways, often times i would get stuck because I dont know what to practise to get better..and I get bored of writting songs or just uninspired at the moment

so what are some really good excercises?? things you can practise everyday and never enough...I wanna be able to play worthy of my guitar

thanks a lot.

I play blues, classic rock, rock, funk, pop, indie

and yes i already know the blues scales and stuff
so what? i saved up and bought an Ibanez PGM301 and people called me spoiled. then i told them i bought it myself and then they all want to be my friends so they can play it. i don't let them.
AwesomePossum5? Is that you?

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
the main thing you can do is practice songs at half tempo (or less) and build up to full tempo. This'll help build up muscle tone in your fingers and forearms.

And ignore anyone who says you're spoilt, you saved up for the guitar and you have good taste, which is more than any squier wielding poser rocker has.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
I don't think are are any exercises that you can't get enough of, they are all pretty boring. I'd suggest learning a song, everything in it, solos, everything. Then move on to a harder song and learn it completely and so on.

That way you are actually putting your technique into practice without sitting there trying to write something when you are uninspired.
Do you take a lessons? Find a song you like, and think you are capable of playing and don't give up until you've nailed it.

Also; nice move on buying the guitar. Personally I wouldn't have done it incase I didn't like it. But nice job.
i wish i had started on something sweet like a les paul all i could afford was... well it looks like a strat lol
Keep On Keepen' On
Quote by JessyB96
i wish i had started on something sweet like a les paul all i could afford was... well it looks like a strat lol

I hear ya man. I don't even think the guys that made my first guitar are even in business anymore lol
Quote by JessyB96

ever heard of stagg? didn't think so. that was my first guitar, i woked long and hard to replace that piece of junk.
Haha, i have the same predicament, except me parents payed for my guitar (even though i insisted i pay for it), i havent been called spoilt so far, but if that happens i would show my mad playing skills, but its not mad yet, but it will be haha
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
this is the type of guitar i started out on...exact model and color, except mine looked like it had been tossed down a flight of stairs...but i practiced it enough to play in the JazzBand, looked weird playing jazz with that thing, sense it sounded horrid and well looked terrible!
http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/5658/washburna20v3oz.jpg

dont worry so much about people in high school, once you leave, none of that matters.
1. you went and bought an awesome guitar when you didn't even know how to play.
2. you are sitting on here bitching about how you can't play after a year instead of practicing your balls off.
i wish i would of had a guitar like that to start on
Gear

82' Gibson Les Paul w/ EMG KFK
Schecter Limited Edition C-1 Artist
Fender Fat Strat
B-52 AT100 Head
B-52 AT100 Cab
Blackstar ht-distx
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
honestly if you love guitar and learn to play it it doenst matter how u got it bought it had it bought for you stole it whatever
Keep On Keepen' On
Quote by skaterskagg1
ever heard of stagg? didn't think so. that was my first guitar, i woked long and hard to replace that piece of junk.

Yes, yes I have! That was my first guitar too. I took the stocks out and put some SD Invaders in there, sanded the 'Stagg' off the headstock and painted 'Gibson'on it (as a joke)

god im sad
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
Guitar sk1llz don't come easy, but just don't stop playing and it will sort itself out.
By the power of Greyskull
If you hadn't bitched about people making fun of you this thread would have deserved no assery... but..... you did.

What did you learn?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

you should have learned to play before getting the nice guitar. looking at the guitar i started out on four years later and compare it too mine now, my first guitar looks like it fell out of the back of a truck and got attacked by a bear. try not to let that happen to a beautiful Les Paul.
quit caring what other people think.
Gear

82' Gibson Les Paul w/ EMG KFK
Schecter Limited Edition C-1 Artist
Fender Fat Strat
B-52 AT100 Head
B-52 AT100 Cab
Blackstar ht-distx
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
People are clearly jealous of the Les Paul in the thread.

I forgot how many people use Squieazss.
Quote by Jackolas
People are clearly jealous of the Les Paul in the thread.

I forgot how many people use Squieazss.

So true... All these ppl saying to stop crying and stuff probably started on a sh*t guitar...

and haven't replaced it.

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
So true... All these ppl saying to stop crying and stuff probably started on a sh*t guitar...

and haven't replaced it.

Yeah? What of it?
Quote by Hot_Money420
Exposed and Proud...Off-Brand Guitars FTW!!!

I started off with a Jay Turser electric, prior to that i had a 40 dollar acoustic that didn't even have a brand name on it.

Now i have an Epiphone Les Paul, Fender Tele, and Laguna acoustic electric (just need a PRS and i'll be happy; i'm not paying over 1000 though).

As you can see, i don't need overly-expensive guitars. As long as they sound, feel, and look good, i'm happy with them.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by Hot_Money420
Exposed and Proud...Off-Brand Guitars FTW!!!
Not really.. i hate mine, sure the sound is fine on it, and its pretty decent but i hate the design ;l
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH in Crimson Red
Reverend Sensei HB FM in Tobacco Burst
Fender Vintage C Neck, HH, Surf Green Nitrocellulose (Handmade)

Egnater Rebel-30 MKI Head
Egnater Tourmaster Series 412B 280W 4x12 Cabinet
ignore the people who make fun of you. the important thing is that you know that you worked hard for your guitar. also, the fact that you have a quality guitar means that you won't spend half your time retuning and repairing it; you'll get more enjoyment out of it.

i'd recommend finding the tabs for your favourite songs and try learning them. it'll keep you busy and give you new ideas to play with.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Get out of the mainstream groove, grow long hair (none of that emo ****), do weights and get huge freakin' arms, play some blues.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Ignore everyone, Somehow I found out that and it got me great results on my school report and I moved up several classes, then made great friends.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Quote by Antimage27
K so I'm fairly new at guitar (playing for about a year) and before i started playing, I saved up a LOT of money to buy one and i got a Gibson les paul...needless to say people were like Wtf...

a lot of people look at my as the "spoiled rich kid" and they think my parents bought it for me...which is not true, i had to work hard for a long time..

anyways, often times i would get stuck because I dont know what to practise to get better..and I get bored of writting songs or just uninspired at the moment

so what are some really good excercises?? things you can practise everyday and never enough...I wanna be able to play worthy of my guitar

thanks a lot.

I play blues, classic rock, rock, funk, pop, indie

and yes i already know the blues scales and stuff

Same thing with me, except i had played for like 5 years, and everyone gave me crap about being a spoiled rich kid, but i worked hard to get that money too, it sucks, but those people are losers who say that
Quote by Tire Me.
Here Wahmbulance! Take TS!

Did somebody say wahmbulance?
Quote by Turkeyburger
It's not cool to make fun of people with disabilities.....

(Being Norwegian is a disability)

Quote by BK202

hey bro that thing w/ the buying of the guitar happened to me i saved up and got a Gibson SG but now i am good so people dont talk **** to me.
so just get good. practice instead of doing homework. and play two hours a day at least.
within 7months u could be ableto play Jimi Hendrix Castles Made Of Sand near perfectly (like me!)