I currently own an ibalez hollow bod and play alternative music. i want to get a new amp that will suit this kind of sound, with a nice overdrive. can be tube or solid state, price limit 600. can anyone give me some pointers? thanks
Do you gig?

AC15 combo, Blackstar HT-5 combo or head, Peavey Classic 30, maybe a Laney?
Player, give me some brew an I might just chill
but I'm the type that like to light another joint like Cypress Hill
my band hasnt gigged yet, but were hoping to soon sometime. my current amp is a peavey vypyr 75 watts and lately i havent been very happy with the overdrive quality, although im guessing it could just be my guitar, which is a hollow body
How heavy "alternative" are we speaking?

15W of tube and up is perfect for gigging with overdrive.

I'd go for the AC15 if you play alternative/indie.
1. learn how to spell ibanez
2. its probably the guitar or you don't know how to eq your equipment that well
Gear

82' Gibson Les Paul w/ EMG KFK
Schecter Limited Edition C-1 Artist
Fender Fat Strat
B-52 AT100 Head
B-52 AT100 Cab
Blackstar ht-distx
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
i know this sounds weird, but were actually a mix between hard rock (lead guitarist style) funk (bass style) and indie (my style). Its pretty heavy and the lead guitarist uses a lot of gain. so only 15 watts is enough?
Quote by trlrdrmatt
1. learn how to spell ibanez
2. its probably the guitar or you don't know how to eq your equipment that well

1. ibanez. there.

and second i think it may be my guitar, which is more suited for playing blues. my peavey vypyr doesnt have the best EQ either
Yeah, 15 watts of tube is like 30-50 watts of solid state, depending on the ear and the venue I guess. Do you play with a lot of gain? That should be the question.

Vypyr's are also not know for their overdrive as they are more of a metal modeling amp.
Quote by Mr.Camo
Yeah, 15 watts of tube is like 30-50 watts of solid state, depending on the ear and the venue I guess. Do you play with a lot of gain? That should be the question.

Vypyr's are also not know for their overdrive as they are more of a metal modeling amp.

ohh..ok yea i really need a new amp then. im trying to get a lot of gain, thats not too screechy and overpowering
i would advise a decent eq pedal first than a differnt guitar, and if that doesn't fix than try a different amp. find people you know that have different equipment that they will let you try.
Gear

Fender Fat Strat
B-52 AT100 Head
B-52 AT100 Cab
Blackstar ht-distx
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
^No offense, but I think that a new amp is a lot more important for his sound in this case. He's looking for an overdrive high-gain sound, not a ball-crushing metal sound (like the Vypyr is supposed to model)

If you can find a JCM combo, I know a lot of pop punk bands use them, if you're looking for British voicing.

I'm going to say Peavey Classic 30 or (if you can find one) JCM combo, but try them out, they're both an acquired taste.
Last edited by Mr.Camo at Feb 6, 2009,
yea i was thinking that it is the guitar because ive heard that it isnt very good for distortion/overdrive. and yes i have actually looked into an EQ pedal, and maybe a marshall amp. i heard those are the best out there?
Quote by Mr.Camo
If you can find a JCM combo, I know a lot of pop punk bands use them, if you're looking for British voicing.

I'm going to say Peavey Classic 30 or (if you can find one) JCM combo, but them out, they're both an acquired taste.

hmm..ok ill go to guitar center and try those out, hopefully i find one that suits my taste, thanks!
Not necessarily, I think my Crate V33 sounds great with decent EQ work, but some people hate it. It's about what you like, I'm just merely giving you suggestions of what I'd check out if I were you.

I doubt you'll find a JCM800 combo at a Guitar Center, unless the have a ton of used gear.
Quote by RozzLe
ohh..ok yea i really need a new amp then. im trying to get a lot of gain, thats not too screechy and overpowering

I'm not sure if there is an amp with more gain than a vypyr. The models it has are of some of the highest gain amps produced.
Quote by gregs1020
I'm not sure if there is an amp with more gain than a vypyr. The models it has are of some of the highest gain amps produced.

i guess i need a solid body guitar then? and also, the models on the amp are not as good as the real thing
My friend plays hardcore with an Ibanez semi-hollow, he just has a noise gate.
Cant go wrong with a fender deluxe 112 plus or a marshall tube
- My Gear:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Greg Bennet Malibu
- Welconic Acoustic
- Marshall JVM205C
- Dunlop SW-95 Slash Crybaby
your amp is made for high gain/ distortion and your guitar is more of a blues style. you can probably get and eq and a noise gate, if not its the guitar or just your settings on the amp. like i said try to borrow some of that equipment from friends and play around with your amp. you can probably get something you are satisfied with for now.
Gear

Fender Fat Strat
B-52 AT100 Head
B-52 AT100 Cab
Blackstar ht-distx
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
Quote by trlrdrmatt
your amp is made for high gain/ distortion and your guitar is more of a blues style. you can probably get and eq and a noise gate, if not its the guitar or just your settings on the amp. like i said try to borrow some of that equipment from friends and play around with your amp. you can probably get something you are satisfied with for now.

i have something that im kinda satisfied with on the amp but yea im going to mess with other peoples amps and at guitar center
so you have something you are kinda satisfied with then try a friends guitar with that and maybe a pedal, you might realize you can live with your amp
Gear

Fender Fat Strat
B-52 AT100 Head
B-52 AT100 Cab
Blackstar ht-distx
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
Quote by RozzLe
i guess i need a solid body guitar then? and also, the models on the amp are not as good as the real thing

I wouldn't say you "need" another guitar, it just surprises me that you aren't getting enough gain from a high gain amp. Or maybe you are using too much gain and need to dial that back a tad and add some good ole fashioned "volume". The vypyr can be noisy if you have the gain dimed, even at low volumes. But it is a decent amp if you need versatility. If you don't need all the versatility of the amp and just want a gain machine, try the 6505+ 112 combo when it comes out or look for some hi gain amps used. There is no shortage of those.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
RozzLe - my opinion is that your posts seem kinda all over the board. I don't think it is your guitar.

Peavey Classic 30. Used.

ok, ill look into those amps, thanks