Hey guys, I'll be picking up a few new pedals this weekend. I have actually never owned any pedals in the 2-3 years I've been playing, guess I just figured why buy pedals to put in front of crappy gear? Well I finally think I have some decent gear that deserves some pedals (Crate V18 2x12 and a Fender standard strat). I'm looking for a good baseline set of pedals, you know, the basic must haves. So I'm thinking an original dunlop crybaby, a bad monkey for OD, and a Dan. Fish n chips for the basic EQ.

I play mostly blues, alt, and some grunge. I also dabble in some classic and modern rock.

How do the choices sound? Any other suggestions? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I'd start out with a MXR 10 band EQ.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
well what budget are you working with?
the bad monkey is a great choice.
and the fish n chips is great value for the price
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Could just start out with a 535Q and get the best of the other pedals later :p
Just got back from the local shop, tried out a bad monkey, really liked it. So I now own a bad monkey pedal, and am now only really in the market for 100 dollars worth of wah and EQ.
Sorry to dredge up my old thread, but I was considering the weeping demon. Anyone think it would be worth it to take the money that would buy a fish and chips and an original dunlop crybaby and just get a WD?
The Bad Monkey is a great pedal for the money. It's versatile and has a good range of sounds to it. I have one, and I use it simply as a signal booster for my Tele in the Vox, I personally prefer the BBE Greenscreamer, but it's also twice the price.

The crybaby is a so-so pedal stock. When I first got it, I was like, "this thing is awesome," but eventually realized it's not too musical and kind of sucks the tone out of my signal, so I modded it. With about $20 worth of parts and a little elbow grease, you can turn it into a great pedal. http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/WahMod.htm">http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/WahMod.htmhttp://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/WahMod.htm

Now, the Dano Fish'n'Chips is an ok pedal for an EQ, and is generally regarded as a great value, but, it's not that great... but for $30, how can you go wrong?! The MXR 6 band is only like... 60 bucks and is True Bypass.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Feb 7, 2009,
A EQ is much more important pedal than a wah.

Wah's suck when overused, they're great to have in your arsenal to bust out in a song or two or three, but. You're not Hendrix.

I'd suggesting looking other places than the wah for now.

Delay + EQ is another great option.
Quote by JilaX^
A EQ is much more important pedal than a wah.

Wah's suck when overused, they're great to have in your arsenal to bust out in a song or two or three, but. You're not Hendrix.

I'd suggesting looking other places than the wah for now.

Delay + EQ is another great option.

Yeah, but Delay gets tricky pretty fast. Warm, natural sounding analog delays are few and far between and not as useful as one would think. Really, if you've got a good amp and guitar, all you need is an Overdrive pedal. If your amp is lacking a reverb, getting a delay or reverb pedal is a good idea, then.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme
Yeah, but Delay gets tricky pretty fast. Warm, natural sounding analog delays are few and far between and not as useful as one would think. Really, if you've got a good amp and guitar, all you need is an Overdrive pedal. If your amp is lacking a reverb, getting a delay or reverb pedal is a good idea, then.

True, but I just imagine him using a Delay more than a Wah.

Wah's are pretty much only good for Solos in his genres.

Delays are much more versatile.

Perhaps a fuzz of some kind?
to be honest i really would like a wah pedal. I've seen delay pedals in action, and while it's a neat affect, I don't really see myself using it all that often. I make due with the reverb the v18 comes with.

On a side note, the v18 sounds just down right muddy when you are too liberal with the gain. So putting that bad monkey in front of it to give it that help makes the amp sing. Personally I think it sounds like a much better amp for having just that pedal there. /rant