so i've been playing for almost a month now and im wondering what to do from here should i learn theory, scales, or anything else?

Also any metal songs i could play to keep me busy.

I can play trivium dying in your arms minus the solo.

escape the fate my apocalypse solo.

and lots of easy songs
Quote by guitarnoob2009
so i've been playing for almost a month now and im wondering what to do from here should i learn theory, scales, or anything else?

Also any metal songs i could play to keep me busy.

I can play trivium dying in your arms minus the solo.

escape the fate my apocalypse solo.

and lots of easy songs

Yes.
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
Try some Six Feet Under, Rammstein or Marilyn Manson if you want easy. As for learning, start working on your scales first, then worry about theory later. You need some basic knowledge of notes and positions before you get too deep, and scales will teach you that. They are also good exercise, and help with finger coordination.
i would a few of the main scales but mainly just do whatever you enjoy. If you want a great skill to have is to learn how to read music
- My Gear:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Greg Bennet Malibu
- Welconic Acoustic
- Marshall JVM205C
- Dunlop SW-95 Slash Crybaby
yeah some scales etc would be good. there are lessons on this site so check them out. The pentatonic minor is nice and easy to start on then work from there. i did pentatonic minor, then major then normal minor and major. I know this might sound like jargon but will make sense once you look. If you've got solos down ure timin must be fine.

EDIT: chord work is helpful too
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
You will find open chords / rythm guitar is handy to learn as they give you a good feel for the music you are playing. I ended up playing all sort of music after learning them and not just the stuff I was interested in to begin with. I am now practicing lead guitar which is going fine it just takes time to learn. There more you learn and practice the easier it is to learn other things.

Have fun,

Quote by pettit4eva
And then modes...And you're pretty much sorted
No. Stop it.

They've been playing a month, they should probably not need to even sniff modes for at least another couple of years.

TS: Expand your knowledge of chords and look into some theory of how they're formed. This will also bring you in to looking at scales and how they're made up.
You won't really need to venture too far from basic Major/Minor, and pentatonic scales (perhaps blues too).

As soon as you can, properly learn the notes on the fretboard.
Also take a look at the Circle of Fifths. (It might not be something you understand straight away, but it's a very important concept to get in your head)
404: Sig not found.
Last edited by ChrisN at Feb 6, 2009,
i've looked at the lessons on theory for scales and its all quite confusing at the moment, and when i play scales i dont see the reason for them, will i learn anything from scales if I don't know how they work
Scales are incredibly important. Not only for solos, but for warming up and adding onto your finger speed. If you're into a style of music that only has power chords, then you're better off just skipping scales for now, but it definitely won't hurt you to learn scales.
Quote by VortexOfSouls
Scales are incredibly important. Not only for solos, but for warming up and adding onto your finger speed. If you're into a style of music that only has power chords, then you're better off just skipping scales for now, but it definitely won't hurt you to learn scales.

yea my band plays alot of power chords and i dont know scales. its not really a disadvantage for me