I love playing my squier a lot more then my Schecter, the neck on the squier is a lot better and the rounded body makes it a lot easier to play. The only thing I hate are the pickups.

I was thinking of replacing the pickups by selling my Schecter. Would I get a decent metal tone out a squier strat with some good pickups. I was looking at making it HSS instead of SSS so I don't get a tonne of feedback through my amp when playing on a high gain channel.

However I doubt that my mum would let me sell my schecter because I got it just over 1 month ago.

If my mum lets me sell my schecter would it be worth upgrading to some nice HSS pickups to the price of around $400 or should I keep my schecter?

I play mainly metal but I really play anything, rarely blues or jazz. I am using Peavey Vypyr 30.

NOTE: Don't tell me to get a new amp because I am fine with the Vypyr.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
First thing, you'll probably need to dremel out a humbucker sized hole to fit it in the place where the old bridge single coil pickup used to go.
Was it you who actually paid for the Schecter? I'm sure you're mum wouldn't mind you selling it if you tell her exactly what you plan to do.
Also, what kind of pickups are you looking to replace the stock Squier ones with?
sell the squire and the schecter and get a decent fender
Gear

82' Gibson Les Paul w/ EMG KFK
Schecter Limited Edition C-1 Artist
Fender Fat Strat
B-52 AT100 Head
B-52 AT100 Cab
Blackstar ht-distx
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
Quote by trlrdrmatt
sell the squire and the schecter and get a decent fender

Well I can get a MiM strat for $1000 then I need new pickups anyway for high gain...

I was thinking of getting a Seymour duncan JB but I'm not sure about 2 single coils. I got the Schecter for $500 for Christmas and I would only be ab.e to get about $300 for it.

My squier is already routed for HSS.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Feb 6, 2009,
Well I don't know if it's profitable to switch pickups. Replacing the pickups will set you back a couple of bucks. Besides you'll need a new pickguard for the strat if you're going to have a humbucker in it if it only has room for single coils at the moment. And then you're left with a Schecter with only one pickup + the tech will probably charge you taking out the pickups of it. Maybe...

I would say that it's possible to get a decent metal tone out of the vintage modified squier models due to the pickups, but I would suggest saving your money for a more long sighted solution.
find something in your area that you really like that you would be able to trade them in on is the best i could recommend. the squire isn't that great of a guitar and i don't know what you have available there
Gear

82' Gibson Les Paul w/ EMG KFK
Schecter Limited Edition C-1 Artist
Fender Fat Strat
B-52 AT100 Head
B-52 AT100 Cab
Blackstar ht-distx
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
Quote by Beans4coffee
Well I don't know if it's profitable to switch pickups. Replacing the pickups will set you back a couple of bucks. Besides you'll need a new pickguard for the strat if you're going to have a humbucker in it if it only has room for single coils at the moment. And then you're left with a Schecter with only one pickup + the tech will probably charge you taking out the pickups of it. Maybe...

I would say that it's possible to get a decent metal tone out of the vintage modified squier models due to the pickups, but I would suggest saving your money for a more long sighted solution.

I think your lost... Maybe try reading the first post before posting?
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
A HSS set of active EMGs will set me back about $600.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
^ hot dam ^

anyways... what are you expecting out of changing the pick ups? getting a "more" metal sound? i believe the amp has more to do with that then the pick ups do.

I dont think selling the schecter is a wise solution. Why not look for someone on here with a lower end trade available and give it a try? Im sure you could find a low end Iby or jackson on here.

Edit: and would you really have to trade out all of the Pick ups right away? I see EMG's FS/FT all the time on here. I am sure if your willing to pay shipping you could get one, and it wont cost you an arm and a leg.....I feel so bad about you aussies sometimes and your gear prices.
Last edited by xXMetal-HeadXx at Feb 6, 2009,
Did you try out the Schecter before getting it or did someone else buy it for you? I'm sort of confused because why would you buy a guitar that didn't feel as good as your Squier, so I'll assume someone else bought it for you.

As for what to do, I'm not too sure. If you really don't like your Schecter, then I guess you could sell it, but I think you should keep it for now. I don't think it's worth replacing pickups in a Squier, but that's just my opinion. Save up for a better guitar I think, and when you find something you like, sell your Schecter for some extra money.

And please don't put EMGs in the Schecter or the Squier, they're not gonna sound great through a peavey vypyr 30.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Wait a minutes, is the Squier HSS or SSS config? If HSS, just drop the bridge pickup from your schecter in there. Take the neck pick up out, and sell the body as is, then sell the neck pickup on the side You'll make a good bit of money for that.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Wait a minutes, is the Squier HSS or SSS config? If HSS, just drop the bridge pickup from your schecter in there. Take the neck pick up out, and sell the body as is, then sell the neck pickup on the side You'll make a good bit of money for that.
Yes because every guitar shop lets you trade in a guitar with 1 pickup...
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30