Hello

I have a lonely epiphone sitting in the corner that is yerning for a upgrade.

Now, my question to you guys. Will a EMG pickup work in it to help me get heavy rock tones? I am playing through a digitech bad monkey and a fender fm65r amp.

I ask due to inexperience.. I usually play a telecaster through a champ 600 to give you a clue to how little experience I have with modern rock

And if they do work for me, what emgs do you recommend?

thanks in advance
Washburn JB100 Customshop USA
Squire Stratocaster, Squire Telecaster, highway 1 tele,
FM65r amp, Marshall MS-4 & FM-15r
Washburn b-9 five string banjo, Eagle dreadnought acoustic. Art & lutherie AMI.
Last edited by Talmir at Feb 6, 2009,
EMG's = bad unless used with tubes. If you intend to use that Champ and crank it, go for it, but if the FM65R is your main amp, stay with low/medium-output passives.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Alnico 2´s then paired up with a high gain pedal maybe? (I´m trying to get as much high gain heavy tone without replacing my amp )
Quote by Talmir
Alnico 2´s then paired up with a high gain pedal maybe? (I´m trying to get as much high gain heavy tone without replacing my amp )

That's actually a good idea. I'd go for this, as long as the amp you use isn't a modelling amp.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
What kind of Epiphone LP is that? Standard, Studio, Special, Custom... ? Because if it's a Special, then I wouldn't change its pickups, not worth it.

Edit: Sorry, I've just reread your post, you didn' say it's a Les Paul . Doesn't matter, if it's a cheap guitar I wouldn't change the pickups.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
Last edited by hansolo1106 at Feb 6, 2009,
Quote by hansolo1106
What kind of Epiphone LP is that? Standard, Studio, Special, Custom... ? Because if it's a Special, then I wouldn't change its pickups, not worth it.

Edit: Sorry, I've just reread your post, you didn' say it's a Les Paul . Doesn't matter, if it's a cheap guitar I wouldn't change the pickups.

That doesn't make sense, sir. You can make many a cheap guitar quite decent by changing the pickups.

OP: You have to lose the frontman if you want good tone. Spending money on pickups is something you do after you've got a good, solid setup. It's tweaking an already good sound, not fixing a bad one (usually).
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
That doesn't make sense, sir. You can make many a cheap guitar quite decent by changing the pickups.

OP: You have to lose the frontman if you want good tone. Spending money on pickups is something you do after you've got a good, solid setup. It's tweaking an already good sound, not fixing a bad one (usually).

I'm thinking of those very cheap guitars, like the Epiphone LP Special 2 (the one I have), or eg a cheap Squier Bullet Strat. They usually have poor wood, cheap electronics and tuners, and so on. So spending about 200 $ on pickups (which is more than those guitars cost) is I think not really worth it.
Of course, if the TS has got a cheap, but nice guitar (good construction, he likes to play on it), then sure, go for the pickups. But first, get a new amp .
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
Yeah...exactly. As long as good wood is involved, there really is no problem with a pickup upgrade.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Talmir

Those are LOW output pickups so they wouldn't be what you want at all, but in all honesty a pickup swap isn't going to do anything to improve your "heavy" tone through that amp, just buy a pedal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Those are LOW output pickups so they wouldn't be what you want at all, but in all honesty a pickup swap isn't going to do anything to improve your "heavy" tone through that amp, just buy a pedal.

I can get very heavy tones with my low output pickups. It's not he resistance that matters.. it's what you plug into.
Quote by steven seagull

IIRC, buying a JB and changing the magnet to a Alnico 2 gives a VERY good tone.
It's what Seymour Duncan himself uses.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
JB? not sure what it stands for :P
JB = first custom pickup Seymour Duncan wound for Jeff Beck.

I'd be interested in hearing the JB with a AII, it's just too harsh with the A5 magnet, and too flubby in heavier mahogany guitars.
Quote by steven seagull

Lots of guitarists like low output pickups with a hi-gain amp
Quote by jamesfarr
Lots of guitarists like low output pickups with a hi-gain amp

Including myself. I just plain love low-output pickups through tubes though. Gives more room to play around before the amp blows out. As far as getting a JB, I'd say go for it; they are easily my favourite pick for a bridge position humbucker.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by TubeAmpGuy
I can get very heavy tones with my low output pickups. It's not he resistance that matters.. it's what you plug into.

I said low output, not low resistance...they're not the same thing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i dont wanna be a dick but new amp if you want to play metal. and EMG's are pretty useless unless you have tube amps. theyre made to overdrive the tubes more.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack