Hey everyone,

I've been playing guitar for 8 months, I'd just tackled the pentatonics and the solo for Smoke on the water (which I was pretty proud of btw), but I overdid it on the practice (had several days in a row of up to 5 hours of practice) and started getting pain in my wrist in fingers. Diagnose ? Tendonitis... So my practice time went from at least 2 hrs a day to no practice at all. I miss guitar like crazy. Anyway, this thread serves 2 purposes :

1. to all the beginners like me, don't EVER overdo it on the practice, if you feel ANY pain at all, quit playing ! If you feel it the next day, don't play until you're absolutely sure the pain has subsided.

2. I'm hoping some of you guys 've had tendonitis (not in a bad way mind you) and could give me some advice on how to get rid of it as fast as possible, 'cause I'm being driven crazy by not being able to play....

Thx in advance !

Gerry
Is this a medical Diagnosis or your disagnosis?

Quickest way to get rid of it? Rest.

I had Cortisone injections which I wouldn't recommend to anyone as they hurt like hell.
I never got this, and I played alot, way too fast for what I should have been doing (I played things like twice as fast as they were meant to be played, when I only had like a couple of months under my belt.

But now I have slight carpal tunnel in my right hand =( (Doesn't really effect my guitar playing, but when I pick up a bass... D=)
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by RichieJovie
Is this a medical Diagnosis or your disagnosis?

Quickest way to get rid of it? Rest.

I had Cortisone injections which I wouldn't recommend to anyone as they hurt like hell.

It's a medical diagnosis. Got it about 10 days ago, tried to rest as much as possible (no guitar, no gaming), but still have to work. I'm in logistics, which means a lot of typing...try to use one hand as much as possible though. But I happen to be left-handed while I played right-handed so I'm pretty screwed
Quote by KaGe47
It's a medical diagnosis. Got it about 10 days ago, tried to rest as much as possible (no guitar, no gaming), but still have to work. I'm in logistics, which means a lot of typing...try to use one hand as much as possible though. But I happen to be left-handed while I played right-handed so I'm pretty screwed

Omega 3
OMEGA 3 DAMMIT
also possibly natropathic medicine
Quote by KaGe47

Given the length of time you have been playing the guitar vs your job I'd suggest the guitar isn't the cause.

Rest really is the answer.

I sympathise as I had it in my left wrist and my right elbow and the pain is excruciating on occasion.

I had injections to reduce the inflammation and they hurt more than the pain itself.

It went away after about 6 weeks and I currently am ok. 6 weeks seems like a long time but in the grand scheme of things it isn't.

Good luck with it.
Quote by KaGe47

You type lots and have tendonitis. Take time off work if at all possible. You'll just prolong it otherwise.
Yeah, I've had it in both wrists.
When I was first diagnosed I took several weeks off with no playing at all, and after that when I wanted to play I always started with a nice long stretching session and warmed up for a while and kept the practice time to maybe an hour or less with lots of stretching and excercising my hands in between.

My picking hand was first to get it, so I ended up pretty much completely changing my picking approach. Keeping my hand loose and my fingers curled in and my movements small and minimized. It actually helped my playing a lot too.

I got it in my fretting hand later, and I just started wearing the guitar a lot higher. That helped a great deal. These days, I have absolutely no concern for looking cool with the guitar - I wear it to be comfortable and avoid any sort of strain on my wrist.

I still do lots of stretching and excercising my hands to keep them loose, but tendonitis is something you can definitely overcome as long as you acknowledge what's causing it.
Hope you get better soon.

Where does tendonitis hurt at mostly?
Ive had pains recently between the bones in my fretting hand (Might be from Working out, Chopping wood, or playing guitar, IDK) so what could that be? It seems to be gone now, and Ive iced it down. Any idea of what it was?
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Hope you get better soon.

Where does tendonitis hurt at mostly?
Ive had pains recently between the bones in my fretting hand (Might be from Working out, Chopping wood, or playing guitar, IDK) so what could that be? It seems to be gone now, and Ive iced it down. Any idea of what it was?

In whatever tendon is affected by it. You can get tendonitis in lots of places.
I had it in my wrist, so the pain was right in the center of my wrist joint and the worst pain was when applying grip pressure or flexing my wrist in either direction.

Doesn't sound like you're describing tendonitis, but if it comes back or persists, you should see a doctor.