So i (sort of) recently got a Fender Super Champ XD for Christmas, and there weren't any noticeable immediate problems. But now, a little over a month later, i'm starting to see some.

1) When it is on a distortion setting, if you let a note or chord ring out, you can kind of start to hear a crackling noise if you just leave it like that

2) Just very recently, when i play a note on the E or A strings, more bass sounding notes, the amp makes a quite noticeable buzzing sound. I checked all of the external screws and knobs but none of those were the problem. Should i bring it in, or is this something i might be able to fix, myself?
TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
Yes, it's just one song in particular, theres no shredding or fast solos.
It is a mellow, instrumental, clean, song.
It sounds like it may be a speaker issue. Take it to a tech anyway.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Yeah, I thinks probably a speaker problem, or it may even be a pots problem. Have you tried it with a different guitar?
my amp is having the same exact problem, let me know if you find a solution
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
It's probably a speaker problem, or something not bolted down. They don't have reverb tanks, do they?

In the case of the Bugera...i'd say it's a connection that's managed to work itself loose...or maybe even the output transformer, you know, since they don't bolt them down. Who knows.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Not saying this is what your problem is. . . but other's have had issues with the Fender logo buzzing on loud notes. There is a bit of info on this prob on Harmony Central reviews, and Telecaster.com. . . and if you search for Super Champ XD and "buzz" some of it will come up.

I read almost every thread on this amp when I bought it. Some things to watch out for are "breaking the speaker in" because a brand new one of these special designs seems a bit tight. Also the name plate has contributed to buzz on some. You might want to check the screws and give them turn if they seem like they can take it.

I have the crackly problem on mine too sometimes . . . so it might be one of SCXD's downsides. Make sure it's not your guitar that's doing the crackling with volume pots or buzz with high pups. Perhaps its the speaker, but maybe the amp too.

I just got a cab to use with mine, but haven't had a chance to check it out. I probably will tomorrow or the day after to see if the crackle goes away through a different speaker. A buzz sound will probably go away, but I don't think a crackle will.

I only hear it sometimes; usually after playing a few notes and stopping I can barely hear it and only with certain voices that are more distorted.

I'll let you know if using the cab makes it go away when I get a chance.

BTW: There's lots of great info on some of those other fender type forums.
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Feb 6, 2009,
just got an update, i took it in today and they were going to have their Fender tech come in to look at it, but from what he saw, it was a stripped screw holding the speaker
TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
Yes, it's just one song in particular, theres no shredding or fast solos.
It is a mellow, instrumental, clean, song.
Quote by JRib1216
just got an update, i took it in today and they were going to have their Fender tech come in to look at it, but from what he saw, it was a stripped screw holding the speaker

Glad to hear you solved the problem.

Hey, using a cab makes this amp sound HUGE!!! Not that is does't get loud for a 15 watt amp already (awesome what 2/6v6 can do), but when you hook it up to a cab it just takes away that slightest amount of boxiness that the combo speaker has and takes away some of that treble harshness too.

I love this amp for it's tone, but I always had to turn the treble way down or it ended up sounding harsh to me and now with the bigger speakers I don't have to do that. That slightly harsh sounding treble has become more of a stinging edge that makes it cut through and takes a bite out of just about everything around it.

The bad thing is that the cab that I got sounds a little bit buzzy on the cleans unless I roll back the bass. . . so now I've got the opposite problem.

I still hear the slightest amount of crackle "sometimes" that I really can't narrow down, but I do think it's just something that is inherent in the amp itself and one of the few downsides. I will gladly take that minimal downside considering all that this amp has to offer in rich tone and versatility. Next stop is a good EQ dedal.

I still have a week left to change my mind about keeping this amp and I've already bought a 4x12 extension cab for it . . . I guess I better fill out the registration card!
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Feb 7, 2009,