Page 1 of 13
radomu
400 IQ
Okay, I know it has been done a million times, but I'm making a yet another favorite band thread.
It can be individual artists if you like.
try to diversify the genre if you can and not just do heavy metal...

For example,

1. Led Zeppelin - Heavy metal, world music, blues-rock
2. The Corrs - Folk Rock, Pop, Celtic
3. Cream - Psychedelic Rock, Blues Rock
5. The Black Crowes - Hard rock, Blues rock, Southern Rock
6. Whitesnake - Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
Last edited by radomu at Mar 19, 2009,
TheNewArmy
Army of One
10 IQ
I,ll take it from a guitar playing perspective...

1- Slayer; greatest riffs ever and a great way to loosen up...releasing tension!!

2- U2 ; Love the dexterity and sound

3- YES ; Pure technique

4- Anthrax ; Just love it!

5- Pink Floyd ; David Gilmour is God.... LOL
TheNewArmy

BC Rich Warlock
Jackson V
Gibson SG Custom

Marshall twin880
oh yeah...pedals........
radomu
400 IQ
Quote by TheNewArmy
I,ll take it from a guitar playing perspective...

1- Slayer; greatest riffs ever and a great way to loosen up...releasing tension!!

2- U2 ; Love the dexterity and sound

3- YES ; Pure technique

4- Anthrax ; Just love it!

5- Pink Floyd ; David Gilmour is God.... LOL

Both irish bands on no.2
ninjagayden777
A Bawdy Little Monkey
537 IQ
1.Hurt-Thoughtful songwriting and loads of great catchy guitar hooks

2.Pink Floyd-Who can't love this band? At least before Roger left and all hell broke loose.

3.Combichrist-Not too cool to have an industrial group with no guitar as one of your favorites on this site( ), but screw it, they rule.

4.Circa Survive-Their guitar playing is almost always spacy and solo-esque, no matter what part of the song they're in, and that takes a lot of talent to pull that off!

5.Job For A Cowboy-Best Metalcore band out there. Doom is probably the best album that genre has ever spawned. And before someone attacks me, I know they're more Deathcore now.
Last edited by ninjagayden777 at Feb 6, 2009,
radomu
400 IQ
Quote by ninjagayden777
1.Hurt-Thoughtful songwriting and loads of great catchy guitar hooks

2.Pink Floyd-Who can't love this band? At least before Roger left and all hell broke loose.

3.Combichrist-Not too cool to have an industrial group with no guitar as one of your favorites on this site( ), but screw it, they rule.

4.Circa Survive-Their guitar playing is almost always spacy and solo-esque, no matter what part of the song they're in, and that takes a lot of talent to pull that off!

5.Job For A Cowboy-Best Metalcore band out there. Doom is probably the best album that genre has ever spawned. And before someone attacks me, I know they're more Deathcore now.

I weirdly loved Floyd's frist album the most...
ChrisN
I signed up for this?
10 IQ
I'm going to give my list as far as overall listening time and influence on my music journey.

They're only listed in the order I listened to them in...

1. Oasis
2. U2
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. Bloc Party
5. The Fall Of Troy
404: Sig not found.
Last edited by ChrisN at Feb 6, 2009,
Gris-Gris-Man
savage
40 IQ
FZ and the Mothers
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Jeff Beck
Emerson Lake and Palmer
Cream

no order really, and always changes..i jus picked 5 that came to mind
'Music is the best"
Zappa
soundgarden19
50 IQ
Soundgarden-Chris has some of the best vocals of all-time.
Jane's Addiction- Two words: Three Days
Clutch- Catchy stoner rock
Phish- Amazing musicians
Grateful Dead/The Mars Volta- both great, the Dead are some of the best musicians and TMV are very original.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Baby Joel
750 IQ
Billy Joel: Fantastic musician. Brilliant songwriter. All the lyrics are about his personal life and real experiences. He also has quite a versatile and flexible voice. He can go from southern preacher voice (As seen in 'Tomorrow Is Today', about halfway through or so) to quite a high tenor ('Why Judy Why'. That is NOT a falsetto!). Great pianist as well.
The Killers: Not only do I like them because the lead singer is Mormon, but they are quite fantastic. Lyrics are super personal (About relatives, girlfriends, personal beliefs/philosophies, etc), the music is well produced, and it has a certain feel that you can only get from some bands.
Buckethead: Best guitarist alive, in my opinion. Can play every style, has fantastic technique, fantastic emotion, a great character (Whole chicken thing is pretty sweet), and I think he looks fantastic live (Haven't seen him yet though). Also, he has the greatest respect for other people. Has tributes to over ten different people, including Hendrix, Dimebag, ODB from Wu Tang, Michael Jackson, Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Paul Gilbert, and I guess his parents if you want to count that.
Rise Against: Good ole punk. New album was a disappointment though. Old stuff though in Siren Sound of Counter Culture, and even in Sufferer and Witness, they were quite political, well produced, and Tim's vocals are just superb. Helps me to get my angst out.
Serj Tankian: Basically everything in Rise Against, but Serj is a bit more atonal/serial/strange, and I love it. His voice is so unique. I really don't have to explain more, and my fingers hurt anyways.
JTROKS
Me, Myself and I
30 IQ
1. The White Stripes
2. The Raconteurs
3. Anberlin
4.U2
5. Disciple
Wouldn't it be great if pigs could fly?
HiImKindaNewAnd
Stupid n00b
30 IQ
Talking Heads-Coked up art school nerd funk/punk, what's not to love?

Can-Seriously, did these guys have some sort of telepathic bond with one another or something?

King Crimson-The band that got me into progressive rock. So many lineups, so many different styles tries out.

(Syd-era) Pink Floyd-LSD-inspired fairy tales! Yippee!!!

The Fall-Rhythm-heavy fun-uh!

Solo artists/Singer-Songwriters:

Tom Waits

Bob Dylan

Frank Zappa

Captain Beefheart

Nick Drake
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Last edited by HiImKindaNewAnd at Feb 6, 2009,
radomu
400 IQ
Quote by JTROKS
1. The White Stripes
2. The Raconteurs
3. Anberlin
4.U2
5. Disciple

Raconteurs' latest album is amazing
RPExecutor
lead
40 IQ
BTBAM - the most killer prog metal i've ever heard. still. i know some people have problems with them, but they're honestly ****ing fantastic. Alaska was an awesome death metal album and Colors was one of the top 10 albums of '07. whether you want the epic feel, the brutal, chaotic approach, or the soaring acoustic melodies, BTBAM does it, and does it well.

Misery Signals - true innovators of metalcore. Mirrors and OMatMH were truly reminiscent of Botch's best days. the math-rock influence they stick in all their songs is fantastic and makes a much better sound to listen to than your standard metalcore.

Circle Takes The Square - possibly the best lyrical band this side of... well, anything, really. if that's too controversial for you, say "the decade". seriously, though, this band constantly pushes out the lyrical boundaries and always manages to remind me that the true meaning of "emo" is "emotion".

Botch - i've been blathering about them quite a bit all around, but these guys invented metalcore for BFMV and Trivium to wreck. they're completely classic and i would love to have them back.

Krallice - now THAT'S (prog) black metal. all of their songs are a wonderful waterfall of tremolo picking, endless blastbeats, Mick Barr's harsh witch-shriek, and each band member playing their own different song. when Colin Marston said "we're a nature band" he must have been kidding, because nothing natural is this good.
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
radomu
400 IQ
Quote by RPExecutor
BTBAM - the most killer prog metal i've ever heard. still. i know some people have problems with them, but they're honestly ****ing fantastic. Alaska was an awesome death metal album and Colors was one of the top 10 albums of '07. whether you want the epic feel, the brutal, chaotic approach, or the soaring acoustic melodies, BTBAM does it, and does it well.

Misery Signals - true innovators of metalcore. Mirrors and OMatMH were truly reminiscent of Botch's best days. the math-rock influence they stick in all their songs is fantastic and makes a much better sound to listen to than your standard metalcore.

Circle Takes The Square - possibly the best lyrical band this side of... well, anything, really. if that's too controversial for you, say "the decade". seriously, though, this band constantly pushes out the lyrical boundaries and always manages to remind me that the true meaning of "emo" is "emotion".

Botch - i've been blathering about them quite a bit all around, but these guys invented metalcore for BFMV and Trivium to wreck. they're completely classic and i would love to have them back.

Krallice - now THAT'S (prog) black metal. all of their songs are a wonderful waterfall of tremolo picking, endless blastbeats, Mick Barr's harsh witch-shriek, and each band member playing their own different song. when Colin Marston said "we're a nature band" he must have been kidding, because nothing natural is this good.

Interesting because I've never even heard any of those bands...
RPExecutor
lead
40 IQ
^ it's cool. they don't mind.

but you should eventually. check every single one of them out.

and now to piss everyone off i'll list some recommendations:

BTBAM - All Bodies, Ants Of The Sky
Misery Signals - The Failsafe, Five Years
CTTS - Non-Objective Portrait Of Karma, A Crater To Cough In
Botch - Japam, Frequency Ass Bandit
Krallice - Forgiveness In Rot. nothing else suffices for that band; it's undoubtedly their best song. 15 minutes long, so plug and play... and play... and play... and play...
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
mikey son
mee
30 IQ
Quote by radomu
Interesting because I've never even heard any of those bands...

Do you live under a rock
radomu
400 IQ
Quote by mikey son
Do you live under a rock

No, I'm just not interested in contemporary heavy metal that much or Prog rock.
DNAx
Omfg 0_o
20 IQ
Lamb Of God - The best band ever imo. Metal as it was meant to be.
In Flames - Great metal with beautiful clean peaces. And there live shows are amazing.
Black Label Society - Just love 'em. Great solo like playing.
Heaven Shall Burn - Just brutal.
Fear Factory - Great power in the music.
Gear:
Guitar - ESP/LTD AX-50 with dual EMG 81
Amps - Coxx CG-15 40watt / VOX AmPlug Metal
Pedal - Behringer Ultra Metal UM100
ragemachine
whatever it takes
10 IQ
This my top five atm but it changes all the time.

Rage Against The Machine - my favourite band by a heap fantastic vocals and lyrics writing, tom morello is a brilliantly inventive guitarist and timmy C's bass is compelling.
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Great band, i go through phases where they are all i listen to. First rock band i was ever into.
Nine Inch Nails - Fantastic espeically with teeth and year zero. Trent Reznor is a genius.
Mastodon - I love blood mountain an almost perfect prog metal album. Can't wait for crack the skye.
Rise Against - My favourite punk band by a heap.
radomu
400 IQ
Quote by DNAx
Lamb Of God - The best band ever imo. Metal as it was meant to be.
In Flames - Great metal with beautiful clean peaces. And there live shows are amazing.
Black Label Society - Just love 'em. Great solo like playing.
Heaven Shall Burn - Just brutal.
Fear Factory - Great power in the music.

Nick Catanese is pretty good, I agree
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Its still hair, you know.
Draken
waiting for the 6th world
120 IQ
Broken Social Scene - Proof that big bands don't always have wasted members
Pavement - Proof that Lofi works
Daft Punk - catchy as hell
Primus - Great Bass playing and crazy
Johnny Cash - He is the man in black
mikey son
mee
30 IQ
Quote by radomu
No, I'm just not interested in contemporary heavy metal that much or Prog rock.

Hmm, you would probably like them though, they are pretty interesting if you give em a chance.
Hagane1340
Drilling for oil in ANWR
10 IQ
Buckethead
mewithoutYou
Rammstein
Bright Eyes
System of a Down

It's hard to say my absolute favorites, those are just the first 5 I thought of that are high up there. The amount of variety in the music on my computer is ridiculous.
¤¤¤†¤¤¤

Quote by 'idioldude'

your a fucking retard i know how sinister is spelled but that is not how he spells his stage name it is synyster

Butthurt fanboys FTL
DownInAHole.
swag on my dick
1,490 IQ
Frank Zappa
King Crimson
Gentle Giant
Mr. Bungle
Estradasphere

Honorable mentions:
Camel
Yes
Born of Osiris
LOL
A Rolling Stone
254 IQ
Bob Dylan
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Old Crow Medicine Show
The Beatles

Close Runner Ups:
Joan Baez
Woody Guthrie
Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble
Pot
Kettle
Black
Shpongled
40 IQ
hard to pick only 5, only the first three here are definite

Pink Floyd
Grateful Dead
Umphrey's McGee
Streetlight Manifesto
Sound Tribe Sector 9
jimivancobain
Eats Babies
10 IQ
Nirvana
Soundgarden (close second)
Metallica
Alice in Chains
Black Sabbath

Honorable mentions:
Opeth: Just started listening to them and LOVE them.
Led Zeppelin: Used to be in my top five but have since fallen out, regaining some ground recently.
Jimi Hendrix: Who doesn't love Jimi? Hell, my username is from him.
Van Halen: Who doesn't love Van Halen? Hell, my username is from Eddy.
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
talia.
UG's Military Wimenz
80 IQ
Tool
Pearl Jam
A Perfect Circle
Chevelle
Green Day
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

seth's daddy
Pray for Obama/Psalm109:8
30 IQ
In no particular order:

King's X
The Beatles
The Police
Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix
There's my way and the wrong way.
radomu
400 IQ
Quote by seth's daddy
In no particular order:

King's X
The Beatles
The Police
Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix

nice taste of music
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Its still hair, you know.
flabber.gast
10 IQ
I hate doing top lists, it's hard and i always have to eliminate bands i love.
Luckily, somebody else already did it for me

Quote by DownInAHole.
Frank Zappa
King Crimson
Gentle Giant
Mr. Bungle
Estradasphere

Well except for Zappa... i'd probably put Can, Mingus, Deerhoof or Ween instead.
frusciante_5
86 IQ
Sigur Ros: No words.

RATM: Rap and rock as it should be done. Zack's anger is honest and brutal.

Nick Drake: I love his fingerstlye and warm voice. I find his songs are hard to play.

Radiohead: Took me a while to get into them but I then became hooked on OK Computer for weeks. Let Down goes down as one of the most beautiful songs ever for me.

John Frusciante: Got me interested in synth music and an all round brilliant vocalist and songwriter. I love the way he has adapted over time.
Ramblin'_Man
UG's Reggae fanatic
110 IQ
STS9
Atmosphere
Umphrey's McGee
Pepper
Allman Brothers Band
Jah Roots

Others (the top 5 changes constantly):
moe.
String Cheese Incident
Clear Conscience
Incubus
Derek Trucks band
Matisyahu
Felt (and anything with Slug)
NoNeedz
High Tide
Slightly Stoopid
continental
breakfast
30 IQ
Simon & Garfunkel
Pat Metheny Group
Between the Buried and Me
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Tool
Doppelgänger
imma ruin you сunt
10 IQ
I couldn't possibly do a top 5 all time list, so I'll do one for the past week or so.

1. Bill Evans Trio
2. Kyuss
3. Gorguts
4. SikTh
5. Slowdive
Last edited by Doppelgänger at Feb 11, 2009,