I recently acquired an S540 or 540s (S-S-H pup configuration and Lo-Pro, Floyed Rose bridge) in addition to the SA160 I own and I absolutely love it. But sadly I know very little about the guitar. Just that it was produced in the Fuji-gen plant in '91.

Can anyone help me out a little? What did they retail for back in the day, what are they worth, what new S-series guitar is similar in terms of specs etc.

Thanks in advance
I have no idea what they retailed for,but they're wicked guitars,nice catch my friend.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

What drew me towards it was the acoustic sound, amazing. I'm not really doing the Van Halen/Satch like tremolo stuff so the Floyd is a mere cosmetic for me, adds a nice sound though. It has an inlay on the 21st fret that says "Custom Made" which also draws attention. I picked it up (hard case included) for $350 (if my foreign exchange conversion is correct).
Last edited by WantzChas at Feb 6, 2009,
what year, what trem does it have, average cost is 300-600 for non prestige, old to new
Quote by WantzChas
What drew me towards it was the acoustic sound, amazing. I'm not really doing the Van Halen/Satch like tremolo stuff so the Floyd is a mere cosmetic for me, adds a nice sound though. It has an inlay on the 21st fret that says "Custom Made" which also draws attention. I picked it up (hard case included) for $350 (if my foreign exchange conversion is correct).

I have an Ibanez 550R that also has the custom made inlay on the neck,I believe they only did that for specific guitars during that late 80's to early 90's,though I may be wrong.If it's the model I'm thinking of (kind of a green to black burst finish) I've seen them go used for up to 600 USD before.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by WantzChas
It's the blood red finish, it's a '91 model and has the Lo-Pro Floyd liscensed trem.

IBZ/USA pickups? If so,my 1990 Radius model has almost the exact same specs as that model.The body is slightly different thought,the radius is the guitar that became the Satch siggys so there's only that super thin contour on the top part of the body.Pics are on my profile if you wanna take a look at it.

IBZ USA C2 in the neck and middel, IBZ USA F2 in the bridge. I've never heard of the Radius model before, beautiful finish. It does have a Satch like look to it.
Quote by WantzChas
IBZ USA C2 in the neck and middel, IBZ USA F2 in the bridge. I've never heard of the Radius model before, beautiful finish. It does have a Satch like look to it.

I see.Those pups sound surprisingly good for stock Ibanez models.The Radius was made for only 3 years I believe,then when Satch went to Ibanez it was discontinued so it wouldn't compete with the sales of his sig model.Mine had it's parts made in Japan,but it was assembled in the USA in Pennsylvania,which struck me as kind of odd.

It's supposed to be the other way around, but the Japanese has been producing quality stuff. I'm not quite sure where mine was assembled, but I know it's Japanese made.