Page 1 of 4
First year, meaning first year after starting the guitar.

I've been playing for almost 2 months now and I see very little development.
I figured out how to play Layla, Sunshine of Your Love, Stairway to Heaven, and Bad Love, but not their solos.
But I noticed that I couldn't play the basic rhythm guitar.
I can play powerchords, but not normal chords.

I still can't change subconciously between a C, G, and F.
And I really need to work on that.
I'm planning to take lessons after my AP Exams are finished in May.
Any advice would be great.

How good did you become after 1st year?
I got really good at open chords and power chords. I played lots of green day songs. Then I was taught some basic scales and started improvise. Then i started learning more difficult song (Mr. Brownstone + solo etc.) which took me ages. Now i seem to have slowed to a near halt in terms of improving. Somedays i feel as if my playing is amazing but other days my hands seem clumsy and stuff. But yeah, the first year my learning curve way extremely steep.
Andron: My advice would be to quit playing when you feel like you're sucking, and then try again an hour later.....I have this often, but then the second time I try it, I'm better then ever.
Anywaysm I'm not even halfway my first year, so I've got nothing to add.
I've been playing for five weeks and I can play about 15 songs from the Misfits, Nirvana, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Cradle of Filth and The Doors. I really don't see how you could struggle at guitar at early levels, all you've gotta do is practice for up to 4 hours and a day and you'll be fine.

I'm actually writing my own songs alongside my bassist now, aswell - Not to rub it in, like! I just don't get what could be so hard about chords?
Gear;
- B.C. Rich Warbeast Bloodbound
- B.C. Rich NT Zombie 5-String Bass
- BOSS GT-10 Multi Effects TANK!
...In other words, I'm taking a giant dump on fender owners who use pods.
Quote by decayingdave
I've been playing for five weeks and I can play about 15 songs from the Misfits, Nirvana, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Cradle of Filth and The Doors. I really don't see how you could struggle at guitar at early levels, all you've gotta do is practice for up to 4 hours and a day and you'll be fine.

I'm actually writing my own songs alongside my bassist now, aswell - Not to rub it in, like! I just don't get what could be so hard about chords?

Oh, that's right, all of us have the time to do that...

Serioulsy, I try to practice at most a 45 minutes because I have to study for my AP tests, my SATs, do my homework, and practice my japanese.
Quote by radomu

I figured out how to play Layla, Sunshine of Your Love, Stairway to Heaven, and Bad Love, but not their solos.

I've only been playing since september, and I think my learning curve is pretty much vertical at the moment - but I've got a great teacher.

From experience over the past few months:

If you're struggling with something, isolate it. So if you are struggling to change smoothly between a C, G, and F, practice changing between C & G, slowly, til it starts to feel natural. Then speed up slightly. When you're happy with that try G & F, then F & C, then start to put them together.

If you can't play rhythm, mute your strings with your fretting hand and just strum random rhythms til you're bored. Then add sound. Lets you practice your strumming to your hearts content without it sounding painful. By the time you add sound you should be more comfortable, and it will sound a lot better.

Before you try and play solos, learn some scales and get comfortable with them - like pentatonic minor for stairway, and major scales. The guitar is great for scales - you only have to learn each type once, then you just move it up and down the fretboard for different keys When you're comfortable with scales try playing something like the stairway solo - but start off really slowly, and break it down into little chunks so you only try and learn a phrase at a time. eventually you'll speed up naturally, and be able to string all the phrases together.

Getting a decent teacher makes a huge difference - but make sure you get a good one, and that they know what your aims are and can help you reach them.

Quote by radomu

hang in there bro - you'll get better I promise. I completely sucked early when I played and now I can do some slower solos and play with some attitude and accuracy....

Lessons are a good way to be critqued on your technique and possibly pick up things faster. The more you play the better you will get...just have to practice practice practice

i know it can be frustrating but you will see improvement
gear
[="======================"]
ESP-LTD EX400 (black)
ESP-LTD Truckster (primer)
ESP-LTD MX130 (black)
Boss MT-2
Crate GX-60c [stock chorus/reverb]
Quote by zhilla
I've only been playing since september, and I think my learning curve is pretty much vertical at the moment - but I've got a great teacher.

From experience over the past few months:

If you're struggling with something, isolate it. So if you are struggling to change smoothly between a C, G, and F, practice changing between C & G, slowly, til it starts to feel natural. Then speed up slightly. When you're happy with that try G & F, then F & C, then start to put them together.

If you can't play rhythm, mute your strings with your fretting hand and just strum random rhythms til you're bored. Then add sound. Lets you practice your strumming to your hearts content without it sounding painful. By the time you add sound you should be more comfortable, and it will sound a lot better.

Before you try and play solos, learn some scales and get comfortable with them - like pentatonic minor for stairway, and major scales. The guitar is great for scales - you only have to learn each type once, then you just move it up and down the fretboard for different keys When you're comfortable with scales try playing something like the stairway solo - but start off really slowly, and break it down into little chunks so you only try and learn a phrase at a time. eventually you'll speed up naturally, and be able to string all the phrases together.

Getting a decent teacher makes a huge difference - but make sure you get a good one, and that they know what your aims are and can help you reach them.

Thank you, great advices there.
I guess I would have to stop bragging about my future self and start playing the minor pentatonic.
People keep saying I MUST know it all over the fretboard to be a real rock guitarist, not a punk.

I think I fell into the trap of "play fast".
Idiotic to think that I never thought of playing slower...

Thanks anyways.
my first year was really slow, but i was 4 years old. lessons help a lot!
Quote by decayingdave

When you say "playing songs" - how good can you play them exactly? Do you have any samples?
Quote by jymellis
my first year was really slow, but i was 4 years old. lessons help a lot!

snap, you were four?
Quote by Howard2k
When you say "playing songs" - how good can you play them exactly? Do you have any samples?

My thoughts precisely...
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Quote by radomu

You won't see a lot of improvement after just 2 months, that's nothing...and the worth thing you can do is start yourself off worrying about what you may or may not be able to play x amount of time down the line, there's no point. Just concentrate on learning one step at a time and eventually you'll get to wherever it is you want to be, but it's a waste of time and effort worrying about what you don't know. Just focus on what you DO know and what you can do to develop directly from there.

That means your immediate, short term goal is to sort out your chord changes, that's the thing you need to sort out most before worrying about learning new stuff. Likewise forget about powerchords for the time being, you don't need to worry about them - if you sort out your basic open and barre chords then you'll have already covered everything you'll ever need about powerchords.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 6, 2009,
At the one year mark, I knew my major and minor scales, was just starting to get better at Frusciante-esque chord changes, and I was familiar with beginner music theory (Chord structure, chord to scale relations, modes, etc), and I was able to play a few BFMV solos. I made the mistake of being a metal elitist, which really restricted me musically, but now I'm rather proficient in a variety of styles.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Froboarder
At the one year mark, I knew my major and minor scales, was just starting to get better at Frusciante-esque chord changes, and I was familiar with beginner music theory (Chord structure, chord to scale relations, modes, etc), and I was able to play a few BFMV solos. I made the mistake of being a metal elitist, which really restricted me musically, but now I'm rather proficient in a variety of styles.

That has been my primary concern.
I never wanted to start playing metal or punk which really restricts my musical style.
Marty Friedman left Megadeth because of that.

I've been playing British Rock and Classic Rock and when I get better I may move to Led Zeppelin.
Now I'm doing Eric Clapton.
I would have to do traditional blues eventually, probably his work with john mayall.
I've never taking guitar lessons.I just practice on my own.I've been playing for over 1 years now and i can do several things as sweep etc. I'm currently practising the solo section of Fermented Offal Discharge by Necrophagist.

I swear i'm telling the truth.
Some of them makes music.
Some of them makes it well.
But some of them makes music that god likes it.So god takes the musician to his place.

Rip Chuck Schuldiner
Im not gonna lie in my two years I slacked ALOT the first year I would only play like every other week.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Like has been said before just practice basic open chords and changing between them. To start with it will be quite hard especially chords like C , F and A Minor. Just keep practicing and you will get there in time. To start with keep the strumming going even when you accidently get a chord change wrong and practice the ones you find hardest.

You will then without realising it be able to play quite a few songs and the more different songs you play the better you will get as you learn new techniques like different strumming patterns.

It is hard for everyone to start with and always usefull to find someone else who can play the guitar to let you know how you are getting on. Don't worry about how good you are at the moment you only have to look at Youtube to see people who "think" they are amazing on the guitar.

Have fun
Last edited by darkhorizon at Feb 6, 2009,
In my first year I got open chords, major and minor barre chords, etc. Mainly just learned tabs of my fav songs, didn't get in to scales or improvising. Or theory. Yeah, pretty stupid. Self taught, obviously.

Now, at 1 yr 9 months, I love improvising with scales over progressions, etc. I'm still not where I want to be.. but learning theory sure bumped me up alot and took me from **** to.. not as stinky ****. I've written 11 songs since learning theory. Much more rewarding than playing tabs.

My advice: LESSONS. Structure plus good practice routines = gooood. Self teaching, wasting time, baaaad.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Quote by Link.JohnIrving
In my first year I got open chords, major and minor barre chords, etc. Mainly just learned tabs of my fav songs, didn't get in to scales or improvising. Or theory. Yeah, pretty stupid. Self taught, obviously.

Now, at 1 yr 9 months, I love improvising with scales over progressions, etc. I'm still not where I want to be.. but learning theory sure bumped me up alot and took me from **** to.. not as stinky ****. I've written 11 songs since learning theory. Much more rewarding than playing tabs.

My advice: LESSONS. Structure plus good practice routines = gooood. Self teaching, wasting time, baaaad.

Speak for yourself.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
I've just passed the year mark, and I'd say I've progressed quite nicely.

I've learnt a ton of songs (hardest ones are probably Master of Puppets, Phantom of the Opera, Under the Bridge and Snow (Hey Oh)). I pretty much know the notes on the top two strings without thinking. I can play open chords, barre chords, 5ths, 7ths, 9ths, 13ths. I can sweep, but not to an amazing ability, I can tap to a decent ability, I tremolo pick fine (although I recently realised my movement was from my arm not my wrist, so restarted the technique. Now I've found I'm anchoring, so I'm working on that), palm mute fine.

I reckon that this next year will probably be the year that I become more consistent, and make less mistakes, etc. I think instead of learning new techniques I'll probably fine-tune ones I already know, and learn theory a lot better (my scale knowledge is almost non-existent).

To the guy that was going on about being able to play the songs above after two months, perhaps you can, but I bet if you record yourself and watch it in a years time you'll think 'I was crap'. The same happened to me, and I'm sure it'll happen again as my ear develops more.
Just learn basic chords, and practice with your favorite songs. And instead of watching TV play your guitar.
Wouldn't it be great if pigs could fly?
I played a lot my first year, even two years (around 1.5 hours). Compared to other guitarists, that's not a lot. These past two years, I only get to play maybe 15 minutes a week, so I have to really focus on what I need to improve.

I was also in the same boat as Froboarder. When I began listening to thrash metal, I noticed there really wasn't much to it except for speed. So, I expanded my horizons and began listening to progressive, jazz, and classical music.
I really dont remember but I KNOW this: I SUCKED!! I didnt start to get decent until around 95 -98. I started in 89!
i started off not knowing anything about guitars besides the very basic chords from a couple lessons a few years prior. i remember discovering that if i played an open string and the seventh fret on next higher pitched string it had a nice meshing sound then kinda figured out the minor scale by listening to black sabbath and messing around on guitar. the first year was kinda like a cave man inventing the wheel for me, lots of trial and error
Quote by decayingdave

Hahahaha! You've been playing five months and you're on here acting like super computer chair forum guitarist? Look at your blog posts and review! You're acting as if you know everything when in reality it's obvious you're just some dumpy, arrogant wishful thinker with some recording software and a buddy who plays bass (maybe). You're one of the funniest fakes I've seen around here. This one post was funny, but your trail is just hilarious. I'm showing you to my husband. He'll crack up. LOL! I hope the original poster is able to get down to business and work out their weak areas with some good targeted practice. It's all just a matter of sitting down and doing it. Good luck!
Last edited by gtmom at Feb 6, 2009,
I've been playing for maybe a year and 3 months now, and about 4 months ago I started getting more serious and now I have a guitar teacher. In the months of learning with the guidance of a quite helpful guitar teacher who actually knows his stuff, I'm currently learning Boogie King by Eric Johnson among other songs. I can play a lot of open chords and barre chords and I'm starting to learn Jazz.

Just make sure you learn those notes on the guitar, I didn't learn those for a while and I'm having to always remember where they all are... I'm also working on memorizing all my scale patterns lol.
Quote by decayingdave
I've been playing for five weeks and I can play about 15 opening riffs from the Misfits, Nirvana, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Cradle of Filth and The Doors. I really don't see how you could struggle at guitar at early levels, all you've gotta do is practice for up to 4 hours and a day and you'll be fine.

I'm actually writing my own songs which consist of doodling around the area of a powerchord or 2. alongside my bassist now, aswell - Not to rub it in, like! I just don't get what could be so hard about powerchords (I'm not yet proficient in actual chords besides open ones)?

Fixed.
Quote by angus fan16
Some of this is to prepare myself for next year.
I want to join and replace the current guitarist for the school jazz band.
He SUCKS and could only play rhythm, no melody at all.
Plus during concerts you can hear the bass but not the guitar at all because the poor bastard is shy.
Haven't hit my one year mark yet, but it really is about practice in those early stages (hell, in any stage really). You need to get used to the chord shapes and switching between them; I believe you need to do something ~500 times before muscle memory kicks in and starts to handle it, that's what you're striving for.

Rhythm should eventually come with practice, or play behind a metronome which may help as well.

I've never had a teacher but I've been told I'm quite good for how long I've played. Theory really helps, I'm starting to pick it up and once you can apply it it really makes a significant difference.

Really though, you just need to put the time in to practice and it'll come to you, frustrating as it may be early on.
Taking lessons from a good guitarist with knowledge in music theory will help alot! trust me, it improved my playing 110%!
Quote by decayingdave

Yeah right. Videos or it didn't happen.

I've started in april 07, and I'm getting better every day. I can play Kissing the Shadows by Children of Bodom. I used to practise a LOT of rhythm guitar but decided to go on for lead.
Quote by LordPino
Yeah right. Videos or it didn't happen.

I've started in april 07, and I'm getting better every day. I can play Kissing the Shadows by Children of Bodom. I used to practise a LOT of rhythm guitar but decided to go on for lead.

Yeah man, I actually prefer lead way more.

Synyster Gates said (as a theory) people are adopted to lead or rhythm one way or another.
I'm definately a lead.
^
Synster Gates talks bollocks. There is no "rhythm" or "lead", it's all intertwined and you can't separate the two. They're just words to describe certain parts that are played, not defined roles. You CAN'T be a competent lead guitarist without being equally competent at rhythm, because to be a good lead guitarist you need to understand what you're playing over. Sometimes there's obvious chords, a lot of the time there's just fragments or implied chords and if you don't have the knowledge to allow you to recognise them underlying chord then you can't solo.

Quote by decayingdave

you are so full of crap it's unture - go troll somewhere else.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
you are so full of crap it's unture - go troll somewhere else.

Is his info accurate or is it full of bull****
Been playing for a year and 8 months, at the the first year mark I was just an alright rhythm player (not complicated things just basic stuff), i thought I was good at lead guitar but now looking back I KNOW I was pretty awful. Now, i'm trying to use my ears instead of tabs (incredibly hard to get used to) if I play a cover (not very often), i'm trying to write stuff on my own (nothing extraordinary just stuff i find noodling around, no full songs as of yet, just small solos or riff). Most importantly I've thankfully gotten over the whole 'shred' phase where I just wanted to play fast always (this made my first year hell, cos I failed miserably at playing fast obviously and nearly quit a few times).
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
My first year was pretty terrible. I wanted to play but I wasn't very dedicated to learning, and my job's hours made it hard to make time to practice.
Quote by RunawayKaren
My first year was pretty terrible. I wanted to play but I wasn't very dedicated to learning, and my job's hours made it hard to make time to practice.

That's my problem, I don't have the time...
Page 1 of 4