Well i changed the strings on my Les Paul last night after my bass E snapped on Monday at band practice....I didn't have any strings to replace it at the time so the guy at the rehersal studios gave me a 9 gauge one to use for the remaining 20 of my practice, which was then promptly taken off when I got home an hour later.

I ordered strings on the Monday night (11 gauge ernie ball power strings or whatever) and strung the guitar as normal, one string at a time as reccommended in the Les Paul handbook that comes with the guitar.

Now when I'm playing and i bend the one of the top 3 strings (EBG) it ends up going out of tune and subsequently knocks the its partners out of tune, but never the bottom 2 for some reason.

I have pulled the strings up and away from the fretbaord to get rid of any slack....but thats been two days now and still no improvement.

I really hope i havent f**ked the neck.

Anyway, just wondering if someone could help me

Thanks in advance

Jonathan Toye
Orinally Posted by HorridxHopes

This is the smartest question ever posted in the pit. I commend you.

I asked about theory of reality and this is what someone said to me!
May be you just didn't stretch them enough - I'd do a bunch of 2 tone bends and retune a few times, til it seems stable. I very much doubt you've damaged your neck.
Quote by zhilla
May be you just didn't stretch them enough - I'd do a bunch of 2 tone bends and retune a few times, til it seems stable. I very much doubt you've damaged your neck.

+1

New strings need to stretch. Make sure that you are correctly wrapping it around the post too.
Major stretching is key - I stringed my Warbeast two weeks ago, and that was the first guitar I ever stringed. I had a challenge on my hands because I had bought 12-56 gauge Ernie Ball strings which were absolutely huge, but after loads of pretty intensive stretches, my strings were staying in tune after only one day. Now, I can treat my strings as harsh as I like in a song and they don't go out of tune.
Gear;
- B.C. Rich Warbeast Bloodbound
- B.C. Rich NT Zombie 5-String Bass
- BOSS GT-10 Multi Effects TANK!
...In other words, I'm taking a giant dump on fender owners who use pods.
+1

stretch the strings - literally just grab them and yank them off the fretboard a few times, retune and keep doing it until they stop going flat.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com