Page 1 of 5
i just listened to it and thought...its so epic..and people everywhere know it...everybody on youtube tries to cover it..its just legendary

but why?

does anyone know? or can anyone help me understand why?

is it the intro? the middle part? the solo? the ending? the vocals? what is it?
Quote by jsbud11
Dude your leetness is maximum.
Seriously if you leave UG without becoming a mod, I will kill someone.
Quote by Devopast
This is turning into fap-to-amazingfretman's-love-a-thon
Quote by blynd_snyper
It's the satanic messages; they make you think it's legendary when really it isn't. Or something like that.

you mean the reverse playback thing?

are you saying the myth of it is what makes it legendary?
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
It builds in dynamic, until it reaches a climax, which is a extremely well phrased solo. The backwards-thing definately helped it's popularity as well, I think. The lyrics are very ambigious as well.
Last edited by wokketywok at Feb 6, 2009,
Quote by wokketywok
It builds in dynamic, until it reaches a climax, which is a extremely well phrased solo. The backwards-thing definately helped it's popularity as well. The lyrics are very ambigious as well.

so what your saying is its the perfect song?
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
Nothing does, it's just another song.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by amazing FretMan
i just listened to it and thought...its so epic..and people everywhere know it...everybody on youtube tries to cover it..its just legendary

but why?

It's all of it combined. I wouldn't say that it's the best song, but it's definitely up there (in my humble opinion).
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
It's no perfect song, geez. It's just greatly built. The structure, the lyrics and how it flows.

It's just a good song, and crap loads of people think the same about it.
I like to pick my nose and eat whatever comes out. Whatever comes out..
Quote by amazing FretMan
so what your saying is its the perfect song?

Well, kind of. It has all the stuff the ear likes in it. But the myths sorrounding it kinda sets the mood for epicness as well, you know?

The perfect song is obviously To Bid You Farewell by Opeth though.
im just trying to understand why YOU the reader thinks its a great song..look at it from a musicians point of view
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
Yeah, the song has a good buildup but I mean, I see no reason as to refer to it as epic and legendary. I really find to be sloppy and boring most of the time. Just my opinion.
My Gear:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guitars:
Gibson Explorer, Worn Cherry-

Amps:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 - 1 x 12 Combo, 100 watts, Hybrid

Effects:
Blues Driver Keeley Modded
It's boring as hell.
Zeppelin is the brand of coolness. If you claim that you listen to zeppelin, among certain groups you will be accepted as 'cool'. Stairway, being epic sounding and all is more easily accepted by the superficial mind among a few hits (Including The immigrant song and whatnot) and this is what adds alot to the widespread knowledge of it.

Also, if people just think ''Oh, zeppelin, i would like to find out more.'' and go on limewire and that would be the first song that would come up to download.
It's not legendary, it's just popular. Pop music has no idiosyncrasy, it only has an effective structure and simple lyrics, hence the reason why the slack jawed masses love it. Everyone knows that the worse your music is, the more money you make!
Gear;
- B.C. Rich Warbeast Bloodbound
- B.C. Rich NT Zombie 5-String Bass
- BOSS GT-10 Multi Effects TANK!
...In other words, I'm taking a giant dump on fender owners who use pods.

Kids!
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
i agree with it having the all time best solo but its not the best song ever. its not even my favorite Led Zeppelin song. but its still a good song nonetheless.
Quote by decayingdave
It's not legendary, it's just popular. Pop music has no idiosyncrasy, it only has an effective structure and simple lyrics, hence the reason why the slack jawed masses love it. Everyone knows that the worse your music is, the more money you make!

Exactly, it is the teenage kids who make it a staple of their clique to like Led Zeppelin, as well as other older bands. Frankly, it pisses me off, haha. Led Zeppelin kinda piss me off most of the time. And where I live, the popular kids only talk about the Beatles. I HATE THE BEATLES! But anyway, on topic, Stairway to Heaven is a good song to listen to at times for me, but it is nowhere near perfect in my opinion.
My Gear:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guitars:

Amps:

Effects:
Quote by skaterskagg1
i agree with it having the all time best solo but its not the best song ever. its not even my favorite Led Zeppelin song. but its still a good song nonetheless.

its not my fav song by zepp either..and led zeppelin is my favorite band (pink floyd is my number 1)

so yeah

i was just trying to figure it out
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
nothing
since i've been loving you > stairway
i don't like stairway tbh
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Quote by deathforyouth
Exactly, it is the teenage kids who make it a staple of their clique to like Led Zeppelin, as well as other older bands. Frankly, it pisses me off, haha. Led Zeppelin kinda piss me off most of the time. And where I live, the popular kids only talk about the Beatles. I HATE THE BEATLES! But anyway, on topic, Stairway to Heaven is a good song to listen to at times for me, but it is nowhere near perfect in my opinion.

Everybody around here hates Led Zeppelin and I like Led Zeppelin. It's not that I want to stand out or anything, in fact, I couldn't care less what the crap people thought of the music I listen to. I enjoy Zeppelin and that's why I listen to it.

And the Beatles are pretty meh, in my opinion. A lot of hit and miss.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
Quote by decayingdave

Wow your so diffrent and cool, I wish I could be like you!

I wouldnt say its epic or perfect, its just a damn cool song. The fact that it doesnt really mean anything means you can have your own interpretation of it.
Quote by Karvid
Everybody around here hates Led Zeppelin and I like Led Zeppelin. It's not that I want to stand out or anything, in fact, I couldn't care less what the crap people thought of the music I listen to. I enjoy Zeppelin and that's why I listen to it.

And the Beatles are pretty meh, in my opinion. A lot of hit and miss.

I really don't hate Led Zeppelin, the Beatles on the other hand...
But hell, man, you go ahead and like 'em. I was just voicing my opinion that STH isn't epic or legendary to me...that's all. I don't find you trying to be different by like them...it's what you enjoy.
My Gear:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guitars:

Amps:

Effects:
Quote by deathforyouth
I really don't hate Led Zeppelin, the Beatles on the other hand...
But hell, man, you go ahead and like 'em. I was just voicing my opinion that STH isn't epic or legendary to me...that's all. I don't find you trying to be different by like them...it's what you enjoy.

I wasn't addressing your opinion, I was addressing your point about some people liking Zeppelin to be "cool."
And if we're talking about epic, then Achilles Last Stand > Stairway to Heaven
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
Quote by amazing FretMan

but why?

i'd actually bet my mortgage that less than 1% of registered YouTube members try and cover it...
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by zimmzimmer
Maybe your Dads pissed because hes shooting blanks :P
I rarely listen to it. I think it's a nice song but they have much better songs to date.
I actually switched it on right as I entered the thread which is kind of cool.

I like zeppelin, but if I come across one of those kids that just uses them to become a "music cool kid" (you know those kids) then I ask them if they preferred In Through the Out Door or Houses of the Holy... ALWAYS picks them out and makes them look like idiots.

I really like Stairway, it's a well phrased, well balanced, well rounded song, good lyrics, good easy sounding arpeggios, well phrased solo, good outro, it's just a good song. Not my favorite zeppelin song, but it's still quite great. Also the first chord played on the twelve string is orgasmic.
Quote by deathforyouth

Who the hell cares what the popular kids like? And I have yet to meet a person who can offer me a rational explanation for hating the Beatles or Led Zeppelin.

If you really give their body of work a thorough listen most people will really discover their amazingness. All of their most popular and well known songs are **** compared to their truly amazing songs. And that applies to both bands.

To TS, Stairway is alright, but the Led have a few hundred songs that are far superior in my opinion. Anthing off of II for example and most songs off of I. Also, someone said it above me,

Since I've been Loving You> Stairway

I would also suggest listening to Fool in the Rain. ****ing amazing song.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Quote by wizards?
I like zeppelin, but if I come across one of those kids that just uses them to become a "music cool kid" (you know those kids) then I ask them if they preferred In Through the Out Door or Houses of the Holy... ALWAYS picks them out and makes them look like idiots.

oh wow, you sound like a pretentious douche. you don't have to have heard everything from a band to like them. it's better to like a big range of music than to be a fanboy. and how are led zeppelin popular exactly? they're a very old band that no one i know really actually likes.

i haven't heard in through the out door
Quote by Meths

Quote by sam b

Quote by Minkaro
It's not epic, and it's not legendary.

It's dire, boring, rubbish.

+ 1
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by skaterskagg1

No, FREEBIRD!
If life gives you oranges, say "f*ck oranges" and bail.

Hey You!
Quote by untalented
oh wow, you sound like a pretentious douche. you don't have to have heard everything from a band to like them. it's better to like a big range of music than to be a fanboy. and how are led zeppelin popular exactly? they're a very old band that no one i know really actually likes.

i haven't heard in through the out door

Are you saying its better to like the few popular hits from a lot of bands than to listen to the body of work of a few bands that you truly enjoy?

I ****ing love Led Zeppelin and I know quite a few people who do as well. I guess it depends on where you are at.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Quote by Minkaro
It's not epic, and it's not legendary.

It's dire, boring, rubbish.

This man shares my opinion.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by Seryaph
And I have yet to meet a person who can offer me a rational explanation for hating the Beatles or Led Zeppelin.

Uh, rational?
Why does someone need a reason? Not everybody likes the Beatles, or Led Zeppelin for that matter, and they shouldn't have to explain themselves to anybody.
Quote by valdean
What makes the Jonas Brothers so epic and legendary?

Nothing, that's why we don't make threads about them.
Actually, we don't discuss them at all. Shame on you!
████████████
████████████
████████████

RNLAF

I Like Planes
Quote by Seryaph
Are you saying its better to like the few popular hits from a lot of bands than to listen to the body of work of a few bands that you truly enjoy?

I ****ing love Led Zeppelin and I know quite a few people who do as well. I guess it depends on where you are at.

no, the popular songs are usually crap (which is what's been implied by the responses in this thread). to really like a band, you have to listen to their more intricate stuff. but to call someone out for having not heard everything from a band is ridiculous.
it's just good to have a variety of influences, especially if you are actually a musician.
Quote by Meths

Quote by sam b

I hate it

srsly
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
Page 1 of 5