I've been playing guitar for many years now, and now, I wanna start bass.
I'm not very familiar with the best bass companies and stuff, so I need your help.

I'm looking for a 5-string bass, under 1000$, any suggestions?

PS., I was looking at Fender and ESP, are they good?
with my limited knowledge, i would look at ibanez and schecter
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
what are you playing? what do you wanna play?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I've got an ESP C304 that I love to death. I prefer it to many 'higher end' basses I've played from other companies. It's below the 1k mark for price as well.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I bought my ESP B-305 for 480 dollars used, you can buy the newer 400 series models for under 1k new.

I am a very big fan of the ESP models, their active EQ allows for a wide range of sounds, so you're really not as limited as a lot of people would like you to think.
Quote by the humanity
what are you playing? what do you wanna play?

I play a wide variation of music...
from red hot chili peppers to metallica, but mostly rock/metal
if you play metal and hard rock only, ESP isn't a bad choice.

Fender fits everywhere though.

I would say Fender Jazz.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by RevolutionRock
I play a wide variation of music...
from red hot chili peppers to metallica, but mostly rock/metal

I'd get one of the ESP F series, like this: http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_F4E%20LTD%204%20String%20Bass%20Natural%20Ebony_-1_10052_10002_-49959008_cmCategorySA182949 or maybe the 5 string model. The 5 has pretty solid string spacing as opposed to the older versions, so slapping is easier for when you wanna learn how to start playing that. Fender standards are good if you like classic style instruments in sound, look, and feel, but honestly I think they're horribly limited with their sounds because of their single tone knob. I'm a tone *****, and for the life of me have yet to get the sound I want out of a bass that doesn't have a 3 band EQ. If you don't like fiddling with the EQ knobs and fine tuning your sound on your instrument then get a fender.
lots of tone freaks use Fender, just passive tone freaks.

also, I'm an active tone freak and also a hard rocker, and I'd still go with the Fender. many active soapbars are boringly sterile after a while.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

To you.

I can't stand the tone out of a completely passive system. The single tone knob on standard Fender's is so limiting to me, because while you get a range of sounds from 1 end to the other, that's all you're left with, and other than adjusting the individual volume knobs on the J, there's really no way to adjust your tone after you're done with the tone knob.
Quote by sloasdaylight
To you.

I can't stand the tone out of a completely passive system. The single tone knob on standard Fender's is so limiting to me, because while you get a range of sounds from 1 end to the other, that's all you're left with, and other than adjusting the individual volume knobs on the J, there's really no way to adjust your tone after you're done with the tone knob.

the separate pickup volumes may help adjust said tone.

just because it lacks further tone adjustment doesn't mean it can't sound different, the jazz goes anywhere from a snappy growl to a bumpy reggae thump. in some ways, a jazz is more versatile- in between 2 songs you can crank the tone knob to add some extra bam to your sound. this is still possible with a 3 band EQ, but it takes longer.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by sloasdaylight
It takes about 5 seconds to adjust your tone knobs when you know what you're doing, if that.

if your part is the intro, you have maybe 1 second or the performance has an uncomfortable pause, unless your singer gives you a break between songs by talking to the audience. I may add they usually aren't doing that every time.

of course, this can be fixed by EQ pedals or boosts, but still. that's 100 bucks extra.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I have never once seen a performance where the band stopped playing one song and then started playing another song 1 second or less later, and I've been to probably 100 different concerts in just about every genre, from metal to hard rock to blues to jazz to basically anything that has electrified instruments. This is of course excluding songs that are strung together by holding a sustained note or chord, which in any case still provides enough time to alter your tone if you know what you're going for.

Besides which, if you're ****ing with your tone knobs between songs you should already know where you're going, and seeing as how its a knob which you can move with less than a flick of the wrist it shouldn't take long.

I mean honestly, to advocate a single tone knob instead of a multiband EQ because it takes longer is really grasping at straws.
Last edited by sloasdaylight at Feb 6, 2009,
Hmmmm, 5 string, under $1000?
Fender's always a solid bet, Ibanez makes some mean 5 strings, and Trabens 5 is pretty good too. Not a big fan of ESP basses (although i love their guitars), but hey, if it feels good to you go for it. Try them all out first!
You can score a used Warwick for under a grand.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by mountaindew88
You can score a used Warwick for under a grand.

Wish I'd find a Thumb 4 bolt on for under a thousand used.....
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by sloasdaylight
I have never once seen a performance where the band stopped playing one song and then started playing another song 1 second or less later, and I've been to probably 100 different concerts in just about every genre, from metal to hard rock to blues to jazz to basically anything that has electrified instruments. This is of course excluding songs that are strung together by holding a sustained note or chord, which in any case still provides enough time to alter your tone if you know what you're going for.

Besides which, if you're ****ing with your tone knobs between songs you should already know where you're going, and seeing as how its a knob which you can move with less than a flick of the wrist it shouldn't take long.

I mean honestly, to advocate a single tone knob instead of a multiband EQ because it takes longer is really grasping at straws.

to advocate a 3 band EQ because a j-bass lacks enough knobs is grasping at straws.

I play at my church we have 3 song blocks where they will just bleed into each other. I sometimes have to tap with one hand so I can turn knobs with the other.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

you can get a very nice 5-string spector for less than 1000. covers just about everything with the active emgs
to advocate a 3 band EQ because a j-bass lacks enough knobs is grasping at straws.

hurp dur durp.

When you have 1 tone knob you sweep along basically a preset spectrum and range of tones. When you've got a 3 band eq you can match every tone available with a standard tone knob, and also add or detract from that tone at individual places within the sound itself. Tell me how this is a detracting factor when considering a bass. Honestly, I'm curious.

That's great about your church and what you play there and how you play it. That's a rather unusual method of playing when you chain 3 songs together 1 riff to another without any pause, and I'm glad it works for you and your band, but most bands don't play like that, at least from what I've seen.
Quote by sloasdaylight
hurp dur durp.

When you have 1 tone knob you sweep along basically a preset spectrum and range of tones. When you've got a 3 band eq you can match every tone available with a standard tone knob, and also add or detract from that tone at individual places within the sound itself. Tell me how this is a detracting factor when considering a bass. Honestly, I'm curious.

That's great about your church and what you play there and how you play it. That's a rather unusual method of playing when you chain 3 songs together 1 riff to another without any pause, and I'm glad it works for you and your band, but most bands don't play like that, at least from what I've seen.

If you were smart, you wouldn't try to beat Humanity at anything.

Fender Jazz 24. I almost bought one. It's within BOTH of your standards. It's active, and a jazz bass, and very nice sounding.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Yea, clearly I'm having this argument just to have it, and not because I think he's taking a prejudiced view on a make of very good basses that he doesn't like because they "only sound good when you're playing metal or hard rock, and for everything else sound like drew carey farting in a can", paraphrasing his own words. The Jazz bass is a solid bass, and if the OP has $1000 dollars to spend on his first bass, I think the cash would be better spent on a bass that can be completely customizable tonally, where I think the J has significant, in my opinion, tonal black holes.
Quote by sloasdaylight
hurp dur durp.

the tones possible from that single tone knob will fit in more places than the ones possible from the ESP.

whether or not I like it, the j-bass is just more versatile. should there be another tone knob or two? sure, I guess. as you say, there are black holes. but I believe the spectrum covered by the passive j-bass just fits a lot more places, and I have no doubt the others agree with me.

I'm very sorry you took offense at my joke. I really say stuff like that all the time, and most people don't care, my guitarist told me yesterday to turn the blend back, it makes me sound like someone butt****ing a ll ama. I shrugged it off, and did as I was told.

the fact you have that memorized astounds me. don't take it personally.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I didn't take it personally once I figured out you talk like that all the time. The only reason I've still remembered it is because looking back on it its a rather memorable statement.

I'm sure others agree with your statement. As I'm sure others will agree with mine that an active 3 band EQ and 2 volume pots allow for a better sound blending than a single tone knob and 2 volume pots. You seem to be confusing why I am not on board with the Jazz bass as the best all around bass, and it has really nothing to do with the number of pots, but rather with their function. I mean yes, technically it does, but not because I think a bass looks awesome with 5 or 6 knobs and a switch, but because that's what it needs in my opinion. You obviously disagree, and that's fine, but don't pass off your opinion as fact, like you seem all to willing to do all the damned time.
If it was a fact that a single tone knob was all any bass needed for any genre then there wouldn't be 3 band EQs anywhere, the fact that there are means that enough bass players and enough luthiers/electronics designers thought the same.

the tones possible from that single tone knob will fit in more places than the ones possible from the ESP.

I doubt it. You have no way to prove this, and you are stating an opinion as fact. It's not, get over your own opinion.
an EQ allows you to get a more exact version of a sound in a certain range. a passive tone is inherently weaker in that regard. but, because passive came first, it is what is connected tonewise with older forms of modern music, and the people who play them in newer forms, emulating their heroes from such older genres. a jazz bass can play that sound, as it was introduced in the weaning period of rock, making it's sound therefore the sound to have, along with the P-bass sound. those 2 basses, though not the only basses from that period, were the most revered tones. the later tones, such as your ESP and the Warwick tone, though not as versatile, and even some sounds made in the same periods, like the Ric tone and the Dano tone, can't acheive the same wide versatility because everything was started sounding like that, with the exception of the double bass. that, because of it's tone, fits much better for earlier jazz sounds and earlier country.

that is why the jazz is so versatile.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Hang on, lemme make sure I'm getting this straight, since it took me about 5 minutes of solid reading to try and get what you were saying, and I wanna make sure I'm getting it right before I respond.

You're saying that because the J and the P basses were the originals, everything else was made to sound like them, and that makes them more versatile? Am I getting the gist of your statement right?
Quote by sloasdaylight
Hang on, lemme make sure I'm getting this straight, since it took me about 5 minutes of solid reading to try and get what you were saying, and I wanna make sure I'm getting it right before I respond.

You're saying that because the J and the P basses were the originals, everything else was made to sound like them, and that makes them more versatile? Am I getting the gist of your statement right?

hmm. no. well, partly.

what I'm saying is that because they were the originals, most tones in modern music and older music, being based off of those basses, sound good with that kind of tone.

many companies make their living trying not to sound like them, for example, NS Designs. It pigeonholes companies to a distinct sound by doing so, but it makes them very unique and uncopiable.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Ok that makes more sense, I just disagree entirely with your original thesis that anything other than hard rock and metal will sound like trash coming through an ESP simply because they're not one of the originals.
Quote by sloasdaylight
Ok that makes more sense, I just disagree entirely with your original thesis that anything other than hard rock and metal will sound like trash coming through an ESP simply because they're not one of the originals.

no.

it sounds bad more because it's pickups sound bad.

that is opinion. I stand by my opinion.

EDIT: but, now, we are somewhat on the same page. let us place overused emoticons as a sign our epic battle has ended in parley.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Last edited by the humanity at Feb 6, 2009,
I'm glad you stand by your opinion, I wouldn't respect anything you said if you didn't. Again, we disagree, but at least now I understand why you push the J so hard.
Quote by sloasdaylight
I'm glad you stand by your opinion, I wouldn't respect anything you said if you didn't. Again, we disagree, but at least now I understand why you push the J so hard.

the overused emoticon...

it is not posted...

Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

21 of 30 were argument...

well, TS will be very informed on versatility.

you're welcome TS.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I would go for a bass with more tonal options. If all else fails, sell it and get another- it'll be more expensive if it has active Pups and extra knobs (as it were :p)

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright