hello, when I use the "a minor pentatonic" scale (5th fret) on my standard tuning guitar and then move it to my half a step down guitar, do I use the same pattern and same location as I did with the standard tuning guitar? The notes have changed when transferring to a differently tuned guitar, but I see Slash use the same pattern in the same place with scales meant for standard tuning.
Learn the NOTES the scale contains and look to see if they move when you change tuning.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Example - if your other guitar was tuned a semi-tone lower, then you would have to play the same pattern but one fret up the neck, in this case at the 6th fret, in order for the notes to have the same pitch.

But Steven is right, scales should be learnt as a intervals - much more flexible than playing in boxes.
If you're going to transpose it into the half-step down tuning, you would just move the whole shape up to the 6th fret. If you're trying ti stay in the key of your current guitar/tuning (which is what most people, including Slash, do) then just keep it where it is.

EDIT: But yes, actually learn the scale rather than JUST the shapes. That'll help you out more in the long run.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Feb 6, 2009,
thank you, I am now learning the intervals, I want to be able to improvise.

what I wanted to get at is that Slash, who has his guitar on 1/2 a step down tuning plays a G chord (3,2,0,0,0,1), but with his tuning, is that a G chord? Are the notes wrong, because the chord will then be Gb (yes that will be the new root note but. you know what I mean).
Quote by Nitro89
thank you, I am now learning the intervals, I want to be able to improvise.

what I wanted to get at is that Slash, who has his guitar on 1/2 a step down tuning plays a G chord (3,2,0,0,0,1), but with his tuning, is that a G chord? Are the notes wrong, because the chord will then be Gb (yes that will be the new root note but. you know what I mean).

It's the same fingering, but it's not a G. It's a Gb as you know. The only similarity between the two is the fingering. Nothing else.