Hello again fellow intelligent and some not so intelligent folk.
Today I bring about the beginning of a new discussion here on our beloved UG - Euthanasia.

For those of you who don't know what it means, basically it's the deliberate, peaceful killing of someone usually terminally ill to end their suffering. Usually done by a lethal injection.

So,
What do you think of it?
I mean I know it's illegal here in the UK but what about other countries?

I personally think that if there are no hopes of curing someone, and if they're suffering everyday to an extent where it's having a huge negative impact on everyone, they should be offered the option of Euthanasia UNLESS the suffering individual says otherwise.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
I think you should be granted permission to do whatever you want to yourself.
im for both voluntary and involuntary euthanasia, although i dont think much to the sanctity of life lol, i can feel a long debate coming on here
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by JackalUK

What if someone as well as being terminally ill has a severe brain damage or another illnesses disabling them from communicate with humans?
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Before a debate starts:

amidoinitrite?
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
i feel that if the quality of life of the person in question is much lower than what it would be without the affliction upon them eg. MS and with no hope of a cure being found, that it is an acceptable thing to do aslong as it is all above ground and has gone throught the proper processes
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
I believe that if someone wants to end their life, then they should have every right to do it. Personally I couldn't see myself ever considering it because I see suicide as pointless, though maybe in an extreme cirumstance, such as being in constant pain and paralysed, I guess it would probably seem a lot more appealing.

However there are always problems with this issue, like people manipulating the ill in order to get their will or something
Quote by JackalUK

This statement pretty much ends the thread.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
I say people should have a choice, it's down to the suffering person or there family whether or not it goes ahead. The Christian attitude towards this really annoys me because there is no reason you should inflict your fact deprived ideas on people who quite clearly don't care.
Quote by crazykid3000
I believe that if someone wants to end their life, then they should have every right to do it. Personally I couldn't see myself ever considering it because I see suicide as pointless, though maybe in an extreme cirumstance, such as being in constant pain and paralysed, I guess it would probably seem a lot more appealing.

However there are always problems with this issue, like people manipulating the ill in order to get their will or something

Leaked! future metallica album
Black then white are all I see,
in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be.
I think it should be upto the person in question, however when it comes to a person who cant comminucate then i do think that imediate family should have the decision, but i think it should go through a proper legal procedure where every thing is checked over, i.e. if a person has MS and they had a large wealth which was to be given to the family after they died and the whole family agreed upon ending that persons life, in a case like that i think it should go through the legal system, like everyone testify as to why they want to make the decision they made etc etc.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
I believe you should earn death, you shouldn't be allowed to just die whenever you want.
Quote by nebiru
This statement pretty much ends the thread.

It doesnt
what about involuntary euthanasia when the person has no way of communicating but is still in alot of pain

Quote by Pageles
I believe you should earn death, you shouldn't be allowed to just die whenever you want.

lol, explain
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Last edited by xander307 at Feb 6, 2009,
If the person wants to be euthanized, then it's okay. Otherwise it's murder, whether you think the person should live or not.
Quote by JackalUK
Tie string around their hands and use them as a puppet

That is possibly the best use of a human being I have ever heard.
+1 to you.

But seriously, I think that if a person has brain damage that disallows them from communicating with humans, that it should be up to the family whether or not this is an option. If the person has brain damage to that extent, it's likely that all conscious thought is damaged too, as they could use the whole, "Blink once for yes, twice for no" idea to see if the person has any opposition, which I definately wouldn't.

Plus, the family has to pay for the medical bills after the person dies. And, speaking as someone who has to pay medical bills within a few years for someone who's not going to be around, I'd bet my dad would have chosen this over me being in 200,000 dollars of instant debt on event of his death.
Quote by KevVin

and when that cheeky slut Nurse Joy tells me "We hope to see you again" like, she hopes my pokemon all faint again?
Not. Cool.

Found this amusing:
Quote by Aidy Damage
Oh God... it's back.
Against involuntary euthanasia. Only for voluntary euthanasia in the most extreme circumstances like TS described.
Quote by Pageles

I have 20,000 life points. Have i earned death?
It's gonna be a blue day
Firstly, didnt Bishek make a thread about euthanasia a couple of months back?

Secondly, I do oppose against euthanasia as every life is considered sacred but I also believe in free will. God asks us to do whatever we want and in a case of someone who's terminally ill, he/she can choose whether he/she wants to die or not. It's totally his choice and whatever he wants to do so.
Quote by dan ramP
RSOB and Gavs must have a great relationship to be able to sleep around so much
Quote by RSOB Bass
Yeah, it's pretty flexible. Like gavz.

Likes to play thread games, also!

*[/dead]*
I think in some cases, it should be aloud. My aunt had a stroke and had a blood clought (sp?) and it destroyed her brain so she was just a mindless body. Even if we had taken her off her machines she still would have died.
Sail upon the open skies
I think voluntary euthansia is OK. If someone can't decide for himself, for whatever reason. Let the closest faily members decide, they know him/her best. And the doctor should make the final decision, it's his neck he's sticking out.
I believe it's legal in the Netherlands too, as long as the patient wants it and 2 doctors agree, but there's a lot of discussion about it.
████████████
████████████
████████████

RNLAF

I Like Planes
Quote by Pageles

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

I'm all for voluntary euthanasia. Its seems the fair thing to me. If someone's suffering from day to day and there's no way it is ever going to stop, and they have had enough of it, then they should have the choice to end it.
Who are the Government to decide who should have to suffer like that?
Quote by xander307
It doesnt
what about involuntary euthanasia when the person has no way of communicating but is still in alot of pain

lol, explain

Well first off death is a touchy subject and if someone is terminal ill (dying anyway) why spend money to kill them when mother nature is doing it for them. It is increasingly difficult for someone to measure how much pain someone who cannot communicate is in. therefore it shouldn't be left to others to decide when someone dies. Each person should earn death as in wait their time. Perhaps johnny with cancer who cannot be saved wants to kill him self on monday however cant do it himself, then the next day he doesnt feel like dying , however someone euthanized(sp?) him monday night.

If someone is sick and dying dont let them kill themselves. Thats what i believe. Also if you are facing an illness you seem more courageous if you faced it to the end. No one person should have the rights to decide whether someone dies or lives. UNLESS in someones will it says if i am dying and i need a machine to keep me alive (ie someone of old age and hes on a machine to keep him alive and the family wants to pull the plug) you can pull the plug.
Quote by gavz_verdikt

Secondly, I do oppose against euthanasia as every life is considered sacred but I also believe in free will. God asks us to do whatever we want and in a case of someone who's terminally ill, he/she can choose whether he/she wants to die or not. It's totally his choice and whatever he wants to do so.

That's a bit of a contradiction isn't it?
Who are we to judge when we are not the ones living the lives of the terminally ill? I think they should have the choice.
We did a huuuuge topic on Euthanasia in RE last term. It was quite interesting, and we basically looked at Christian views, Egoist views and Utilitarianist views on the subject.

I, personally, believe that if someone if suffering greatly from a terminal illness, and their quality of life is severely affected, they should have the right to say "Ok, its enough". It seems cruel to prolong a life that is in suffering.

As one of the other users above me said, if the person is mentally impaired i think it should be up to both the doctors and family to decide what would be in the person's best interests. It's all very well saying it shows compassion and will to die naturally, but surely that isn't right?

Its a bit of a dodgy subject to be honest.
I'll run in the rain till Im breathless
When Im breathless I'll run till I drop
The thoughts of a fools kind of careless
Im just a fool waiting on the wrong block.
Quote by GeeGar
We did a huuuuge topic on Euthanasia in RE last term. It was quite interesting, and we basically looked at Christian views, Egoist views and Utilitarianist views on the subject.

You did Utilitarianism in RE? All we got told was the sanctity of life was a fact and Muslim views on the same subject. They didn't seem to want to tell us anything that might oppose theism. It really sucked.
Quote by gavz_verdikt
Firstly, didnt Bishek make a thread about euthanasia a couple of months back?

I mean no disrespect to your opinion, but in countries such as the US where separation of church and state are fundamental to the foundation of the nation, god should be left out.

Honestly I can't believe people would say that it should up to a relative. They could easily be doing what's best for themselves, not who is ill.

I believe that if Euthanasia were to be legal that is should be carried out much like a DNR ( do not recisitate order). Where some one makes the decision before the situation occurs.
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
If the person has the ability to say yes/no to it then I'm fine with it. Tbh if I was in so much pain and unable to do anything I wouldnt wanna be a veggie aka "soul" trapped in my body. I'd rather have somebody kill me then.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...