Hey guys,

With my tracks now i want to achieve a more professional sound. I always think to myself when im listening "Would i ever hear this on a radio or from a band?" and the answer is definatly No lol. I have no problem recording and layering different parts and panning guitars etc, but when it comes to AFTER all that i have no clue of how to achieve that flowing professional sounding mix.

Here is a sample i just made, i have recorded all my parts and adjusted them to how i think they should be. Listening to it though, i really really need help lol

http://h1.ripway.com/dcn2509/Sample.mp3

Any tips appreciated!

Dave,
Last edited by Davester000 at Feb 6, 2009,
in terms of editing, its always a good idea to cut out anything thats not contributing, such as taking the floor tom channel, and chopping out all the parts that dont have the floor tom playing, gets rid of a lot of messy bleed and noise.

what gear are you using? be aware that the "professional" sound comes from getting a good source sound. pro studios will have really nice amps, a drum kit thats kept in good condition and a pile of sweet mics. its all about the source. a pod (for example) will never really give the super-pro-shiny-uber-sound of a real mesa dual rectifier through an Engl cab in a nice room with a Neumann U87 in front of it.

the sample you posted isn't too bad, though the guitars are pretty tinny and harsh, probably way too much gain and treble. can you give us a better idea of the setup for this??
Quote by doommaker
read the links in my sig

what TheDriller is suggesting about the floor tom is called gating (if you dont delete the parts)

I feel its better to delete the parts manually rather than rely on a gate firing correctly. it only takes a few minutes to clean up all the tom tracks and it makes a huge difference.
Do it right the first time so!
the thing with gates is setting up the timeing and all that, then you have it mis-firing on loud ride cymbals, closing too fast in some places, etc...
best to cut the BS and just chop it out. ultimately its one less thing to worry about.