i'm watching Metal: A headbangers Journey right now and apparentley "dark, heavy, classical music" influenced metal. Does anyone have good dark classical composers to listen to in order to increase my metal composing,writing etc??
Quote by dead-fish
^My god.

98% of teenagers have had or have been around alcohol, sig this if you like begals
Classical music might have influenced some metal, but I think you should just write your own stuff and listen to ALL classical music if you want to get that"style". Then learn them on guitar, study them, and apply the knowledge you get to your own songs.
doesn't the movie specifically mention Wagner as the main influence, with the double standing bass (requires 2 people to play). other than that listen to any of the people commonly referenced to when people talk about classical music. most bands won't reach that far out there when it comes to influence by classical music, as most of them don't look to classical music as a reference they just subconciously do it becuase the first heavy bands were influenced by that music and it funneled down to each following generation.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Children of bodom is quite heavy influensed by classical music
You like it
Nothing wrong with abit of Ludwig-Van...

Seriously though, I don't think that Metal would have been solely influenced by heavy dark classical music, but there's no doubt going to be some crossover in places.
Gear;
- B.C. Rich Warbeast Bloodbound
- B.C. Rich NT Zombie 5-String Bass
- BOSS GT-10 Multi Effects TANK!
...In other words, I'm taking a giant dump on fender owners who use pods.
Some of the best classical composers to listen to I think are Vivaldi for his metamorphosis, Pagnini, Saleri, and Mozart are some of my favorites. They should help get those classical juices goin.
Honestly, metal and classical music doesn't really have any special relationship. There are a few bands out there which steal a few motifs here and there, but metal music as a whole is predominantly rhythm driven(much like any other rock derivative) and is not interested in the forms utilized by the great composers, or even the use of tonality/atonality or counterpoint as they saw it. To be quite frank with you, I've only ever viewed this whole ordeal as a way in which metalheads are working to socially legitimize their musical preference.

The only composer and band that I can think of that share any kind of musical bond would be Bartok and Meshuggah as they treat rhythm and it's function in a similar manner.
Children of bodom is quite heavy influensed by classical music
Call me Batman.
once again me and erc disagree but we've had this disagreement before. i see metal as being considerably influenced by classical music and blues. he sees classical music as having to stick to the strict guidelines of different aspects classical music. i consider a lot of metal to be classically influenced as it has a very classical type sound to it, just often run through a lot of distortion.
i'd say listen to it all..
and of course metal is influenced my Classical.. isnt most western tonal music??

it doesn't have to be dark for you to benefit from it..
if you hear something you like wether its "dark" or "heavy" or "light" or "happy" you can still use it in your composing..
maybe you'd want something to sound "darker".. well change some intervals, lower the thrid, maybe lower the fifth.. maybe rise the 5th and lower the second..
maybe you want it to sound more "happy".. rise the third, the 4.. idk experiment

play it how you want to
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
I don't think of a lot of metal as "dark", I find it more dramatic and intense, almost theatrical in its approach. I think a lot of that can be found in the baroque period of Classical music.
I agree with erc on this one. The similarity, when there is one, is mostly manifest in appropriated melodies and cliches. There is considerably more to the music they pick from.

Influence is a sticky word because in meaning it fits well, although some might argue the subtle hair-splits of influence, appropriation, theft, and other terms.

What there is, though, is a bitterness in fans of Western music from all eras (or for that matter, of the music of other cultures, particularly Indian Classical, which often gets the same treatment) at those who pilfer a resemblance to this-and-that-great-composer. That's not the trouble. The trouble lies in them having the audacity to use this "influence" to claim, vocal, conscious, unsubtle or none of the three, a superiority over those who do not.

Draw from as many wells as possible in your own work, it'll be better for it. Of course, a contradiction notable, there always is: It is said, probably true, that Miles Davis refused to listen to the music of his contemporaries, presumably to avoid tainting his own voice and preserve himself as the imitated and not the imitator.