I'm wondering if it would be more practical to play electric guitar with headphones in a dorm setting? I dorm at college, and i like to practice a lot, sometimes for several hours at a time... I don't have the amp that loud, but i still feel like i might be disrupting the other people i live with. Now the way i practice is that usually i play along to songs and/or guitar tabs on my laptop, so if i'm using headphones through my amp, how will i be able to hear the song/tab from my laptop that i'm trying to play along to? I do have a pair of headphones for my laptop, but i think it would be kind of awkward if i have one earpiece from my laptop in one ear and one earpiece from my amp in the other ear lol. I'm not in the position yet to be spending a lot of money on sound stuff but what would a basic pair of amp headphones cost? Also do you guys think practicing this way would be detrimental or beneficial to my playing or would it not really have any effect on it? Thanks in advance!
I find it mildly disturbing that a college student can find hours at a time to practice guitar.

Anyway, buy something that allows you to play through your comp. And a program like Amplitude (I think that's what it's called) or something.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 6, 2009,
Quote by al112987
I find it mildly disturbing that a college student can find hours at a time to practice guitar.

Anyway, buy something that allows you to play through your comp. And a program like Amplitude (I think that's what it's called) or something.

I make time. To me its as important as my academics... I still have second doubts sometimes as to what i really want to do lol.

Also, how much would a program like that cost?
Quote by VanMaidenFan88
I'm wondering if it would be more practical to play electric guitar with headphones in a dorm setting? I dorm at college, and i like to practice a lot, sometimes for several hours at a time... I don't have the amp that loud, but i still feel like i might be disrupting the other people i live with. Now the way i practice is that usually i play along to songs and/or guitar tabs on my laptop, so if i'm using headphones through my amp, how will i be able to hear the song/tab from my laptop that i'm trying to play along to? I do have a pair of headphones for my laptop, but i think it would be kind of awkward if i have one earpiece from my laptop in one ear and one earpiece from my amp in the other ear lol. I'm not in the position yet to be spending a lot of money on sound stuff but what would a basic pair of amp headphones cost? Also do you guys think practicing this way would be detrimental or beneficial to my playing or would it not really have any effect on it? Thanks in advance!

wait....what amp do you have?

and no, I agree, you wouldn't want to do that. There really is no such thing as amp headphones - any decent headphone will work providing you have a HEADPHONE jack on the amp. (I'm talking in simplistic terms). If this is a tube amp, then generally no - you would need a headphone tap like from tedweber.com. 2.) Otherwise, do as Andrew suggested and get software for your laptop and maybe a preamp (Pod Studio for example). 3.) Get a MultiFX pedal that has amp modelling and effects and headphone jack. 4.) Get an amp that has a headphone jack like a Vypyr or a Cube or something.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Feb 6, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
wait....what amp do you have?

and no, I agree, you wouldn't want to do that. There really is no such thing as amp headphones - any decent headphone will work providing you have a HEADPHONE jack on the amp. (I'm talking in simplistic terms). If this is a tube amp, then generally no - you would need a headphone tap like from tedweber.com. 2.) Otherwise, do as Andrew suggested and get software for your laptop and maybe a preamp (Pod Studio for example). 3.) Get a MultiFX pedal that has amp modelling and effects and headphone jack. 4.) Get an amp that has a headphone jack like a Vypyr or a Cube or something.

At school i have my cheap 15W Fender Bullet Amp... My good stuff is at home... Anyway i have a headphone input jack but the hole of too large for my laptop headphones to fit. I don't have much money to spend here all i want is something that can connect b/w my amp and my laptop so i can play along w/ songs & tabs.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Buy a 1/8" to 1/4" jack converter for $2.
Or go the software route and find something cheap.
No recording right?

Nope, no recording, at least not yet.

So the jack converter will solve the first issue, but how do i hear the song on my laptop at the same time? Don't i need another pair of headphones?
Last edited by VanMaidenFan88 at Feb 6, 2009,
if you get any multi-fx that has the ability to record through USB, chances are it can also do playback through USB, meaning if you set it up right, and you plug headphones into it, you'll hear your guitar AND the computer
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Yeah, nutinpwnsfender has a point.

But seriously, 2 headphones is not going to work. The only thing I can think of is to put headphones in amp and then slide one phone off ear so you can hear song on laptop.

If you are not super stuck on your amp you get something like what I have (Digitech RP250) used for maybe $100 that has a USB port. Connect that to laptop. Then connect it to amp like any other pedal. You could then hear yourself either on laptop or on amp. Seriously, get Audacity for free and use it as a learning tool by recording yourself.

I'm sure there are other ways to do what you want using expensive mixers and such.