Hi guys,

I have come to ask your help cos I'm just sick of the utter **** tone I get from my stock Epiphone pickups in my Epiphone Les Paul Custom, 2008 model made in China.

They're so drab and lifeless distorted, and on both pickups, though particularly the bridge pickups, whenever I turn both pots for the pickup up to 10, I get horrible screechy noise, which is I'm guessing **** microphonics. So then that leaves me with a choice of either a really dead sound that you simply cant hear when I'm playing with a band, or a screechy feedback.

The cleans aren't too bad when I have the volume at bedroom levels, but as soon as I turn it up to a band practice level, the ****ness really shines through, it's just a really hollow thin tone even if I have bass and mids up on my amp.

I'm playing through a Roland Cube 60, and yes I know that people here say that since it's a modelling amp I won't hear any major change, I played my friend's Fender Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster (HSS) through the amp, and the difference was night and day, the cleans were really nice, and the distortion was nice up until I played metal, but I wouldn't really expect a Tele with a single coil in the bridge to give me brutal tones. :P

So I'm looking for new pickups now, but I've never dabbled in pickups before, so I'm looking for something that can

1. Give me enough gain for handling Opeth and Tool like distortion.
2. Give me a good clean tone
3. Be able to do more vintagey sounds, sort of classic rock style, think The Clash, Led Zeppelin.

I hope that's not too tall an order. :P
But please, I don't want any posts telling me I need to get a new amp first, I actually haven't played my guitar in a few days because I hate the tone.
Last edited by MrSheen at Feb 6, 2009,
Seymour Duncan SH-2n SH-4 JB
should be what your looking for
Pissing people off since 1987

ESP/LTD MH 401 Stop tail
ESP/LTD MH 401 Floyd Rose
IBANEZ AM93 TKS
Rivera KnuckleHead Reverb
ISP Decimator
MXR KFK-1 10 Band EQ
Ah yeah, I've been recommended them by some other people, I forgot to mention that I have no job so I'm not trying to spend too much, around 140 euro would be my maximum to spend.
JB/Jazz combo will serve you well

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by MrSheen
Hi guys,

I have come to ask your help cos I'm just sick of the utter **** tone I get from my stock Epiphone pickups in my Epiphone Les Paul Custom, 2008 model made in China.

They're so drab and lifeless distorted, and on both pickups, though particularly the bridge pickups, whenever I turn both pots for the pickup up to 10, I get horrible screechy noise, which is I'm guessing **** microphonics. So then that leaves me with a choice of either a really dead sound that you simply cant hear when I'm playing with a band, or a screechy feedback.

The cleans aren't too bad when I have the volume at bedroom levels, but as soon as I turn it up to a band practice level, the ****ness really shines through, it's just a really hollow thin tone even if I have bass and mids up on my amp.

I'm playing through a Roland Cube 60, and yes I know that people here say that since it's a modelling amp I won't hear any major change, I played my friend's Fender Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster (HSS) through the amp, and the difference was night and day, the cleans were really nice, and the distortion was nice up until I played metal, but I wouldn't really expect a Tele with a single coil in the bridge to give me brutal tones. :P

So I'm looking for new pickups now, but I've never dabbled in pickups before, so I'm looking for something that can

1. Give me enough gain for handling Opeth and Tool like distortion.
2. Give me a good clean tone
3. Be able to do more vintagey sounds, sort of like John Frusciante's overdrive on the Blood Sugar Sex Magik album.

I hope that's not too tall an order. :P
But please, I don't want any posts telling me I need to get a new amp first, I actually haven't played my guitar in a few days because I hate the tone.

That has nothing to do with the pickups.

Second, you're going to have a tough time getting John Frusciante strat tones out of a les paul. Period.
Well when I tried the amp with my friend's Tele, the cleans were much much better, same EQ settings. I'm not sure what else this could have been, as the guitar was straight into the amp, no pedals.

And yeah I suppose I shouldn't have used a Strat player to describe the tone I want but I just meant more of a vintagey maybe classic rock sound, I should have been more clear, I'll go back and edit it now.
china has excruciatingly bad quality control, for the most part. you might consider going through the wiring. its probably utter sh*t
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Yeah I've also noticed a slight hum underneath my sound, and the bridge pickup has also made several attempts to jump free from my guitar.
the hum is more than likely the ground being soldered horribly.... for that matter im sure every joint in that guitar is soldered by a 6 year old asian boy. re do them all, if you feel you can do it better.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
That's the thing too, I have no soldering iron and no soldering experience.

Is it hard to solder if you've never done it before? And much does all the equipment cost?
practice on spare cables
the soldering stuff is 20usd, at very very most. watch a tutorial on how to solder. easy.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
What exactly do I need to buy? I have an older guitar that's got some messed up wiring, I could practice on it.
Soldering iron, solder (lead solder is easier to use, just make sure you wash your hands and don't eat any of it) and some flux (not totally necessary considering solder has flux in it already) and a wet sponge or steel wool scrub pad to keep the tip clean.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
JB/Jazz is awesome, but like others have said, get the wiring kit (or re-wire it yourself.) This made all the difference for my buddy's Epi LP.