I just got some new (stronger) tremolo springs which enables me to tune to standard without having to block my LFR. However, i've just re-realised how awful it is at returning to pitch after use.

eg. I knock the bar upwards, the strings go nearly a semitone sharp. same happens when I push it down.

Is there any quick, cheap way of improving this, short of buying a proper FR?

I've thought about oiling it a bit, would that help?
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
best solution = ofr

quick solution would be to set it up as perfect as possible....could make a difference
Use really stern springs/greatly tighten the current springs, check the locking nut and the bridge saddles for flash or excess bits of metal where strings my be binding, get locking tuners if you haven't already (even with a locking nut, these can help with some cheaper setups), get a proper setup, use lighter gauge strings, consider partially blocking your trem so it at least doesn't raise up.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
It is all set up properly, the bridge is completely level etc. I'm using 0.010 strings, which should be about right.

would replacing the pivot post things be a good idea? it would be nice if i could find some titanium ones.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

No ideas anyone?

Is there a company that makes Floyd Rose parts from titanium?
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

Quote by FischmungaXTR
No ideas anyone?

If your looking at parts youd ideally want steel thats what they make the OFR out of if I remember correctly. For the sustain block you would want brass I believe.

It might be your knife edges try lubing them up. If that doesnt work they may need sharpening.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by FischmungaXTR
No ideas anyone?

titanium? no man...titanium is quite flexible so it wont really be the best metal for guitar parts
I have heard that th he Hipshot tremsetter, Esp arming adjuster or the Goldo Blackbox tremolo stabilizers work really well. I haven't tried any, but if i get a guitar with a tremolo (Probably quite soon =)) then I am definitely going to try one of them.
http://joe.emenaker.com/TremStabilizers/

Reviews are at the bottom
Last edited by Spudderz at Feb 8, 2009,
put a dab of chapstic on the knife edges where they contact the pivot posts. do a few dives and pulls to work it in there. it whould help quite a bit. if not then you MIGHT need to sharpen your knife edges. what guitar is it?
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
I've tried using silicon oil, which didn't make much difference.
I reckon it's the knife edge that's gone blunt, it appears to be made of some sort of copper?? (orange-brown in colour)

I can't find anywhere that sells the main tremolo plate that the knife edge is a part of. Help!!
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

Quote by FischmungaXTR
I've tried using silicon oil, which didn't make much difference.
I reckon it's the knife edge that's gone blunt, it appears to be made of some sort of copper?? (orange-brown in colour)

I can't find anywhere that sells the main tremolo plate that the knife edge is a part of. Help!!

You can try sharpening the knife edges and see if that helps you I was recommended to try it once but the problem I had wasnt enough of an issue to take the whole trem out and reset it.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
You can try sharpening the knife edges and see if that helps you I was recommended to try it once but the problem I had wasnt enough of an issue to take the whole trem out and reset it.

Ok, i'm going to try that.

I'm looking for somewhere that does custom machining so I can get a new base plate made. Can anyone recommend?
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

Quote by FischmungaXTR

I'm looking for somewhere that does custom machining so I can get a new base plate made. Can anyone recommend?

Wouldn't it be easier to get a new OFR? It will also increase the value of your guitar. Well worth it IMO.
Last edited by Tempoe at Feb 8, 2009,
Quote by FischmungaXTR

Even if you found a place that did it, it'd be pricier than just buying a new trem.
Hmm I'm not really sure what to do then. I want to keep my £160 guitar for gigging (its got too many dents in it to be worth selling) but it seems I must spend £190 on a tremolo. Also, I might be getting a 2nd hand 2003 LTD KH-202 soon for about £100, a nice guitar but it also has this problem with the tremolo. I'm just wondering if fitting an OFR or even a Gotoh would actually increase the guitar's value by that much?

The market must be getting flooded with guitars that are several years old and came fitted with cheap LFRs!
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

dude dont...just save up and buy a 500-600 dollar guitar a bit later...you wont regret it trust me
But these guitars are (well were) $500-$600?!?!
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

Why don't you try a trem stabilizer? They're supposed to work really well, and are pretty cheap.
I probably will get one when i get the chance, thanks for the link. The Goldo Blackbox one is the only one I can see for sale anywhere though.
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

you just put new springs in?

did you stretch the new springs?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by f22master

A very interesting resource!

After reading that, it seems that, even with an OFR, i can't expect 100% accurate return to pitch. I guess I'm going to have to do some ear training!

I'm probably going to try that thing about filing the knife edges too.
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

Quote by FischmungaXTR
A very interesting resource!

After reading that, it seems that, even with an OFR, i can't expect 100% accurate return to pitch. I guess I'm going to have to do some ear training!

I'm probably going to try that thing about filing the knife edges too.

Yep thats very true. Once you start bending with it its gonna go out of tune VERY SLIGHTLY nothing noticeable by ear if it is noticeable by ear then it has a problem. I was worried about mine doing that but my tech said that it was only going out like 1/100th of a cent or something like that.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Yep thats very true. Once you start bending with it its gonna go out of tune VERY SLIGHTLY nothing noticeable by ear if it is noticeable by ear then it has a problem. I was worried about mine doing that but my tech said that it was only going out like 1/100th of a cent or something like that.

Wow, that is good. Currently my trem returns about 40 cents sharp or 20 cents flat, depending on the direction it is used in.
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

Quote by FischmungaXTR
Wow, that is good. Currently my trem returns about 40 cents sharp or 20 cents flat, depending on the direction it is used in.

Damn dude yeah try sharpening the knife edges because when you use the trem or do any bends it leans on those so they may be getting dull.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
yeah id say the knfe edges are you problem.

and i L O V E ibanez rules. everytime i need to know how to do something (dealing with floating trems) i go there first. ive read most every page and all of it is HIGHLY informative. read around on there. it gives some very good info.

The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
I'm filing the knife edges now, turns out the (wilkinson) LFR is actually made of pretty tough steel, it's just covered with terne, which is why the knife edges have gone blunt.

Its making my files go blunt
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

Help! the material is too tough to file!!!

I've managed to get one side fairly sharp, but the other side is just not moving!
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab