Page 1 of 3
Alright, this is going to be my first build, ever. Here's what I know, and I'm going to need some help from you guys.

I'll build it in a Gibson Firebird shape. Pretty sweet looking shape. Reverse headstock, for the lulz.
SSS configuration, in a VooDoo style, so the pickup angling will be switched. I really want the tone of this, so that's why I'm doing it. Can't decide on a pickguard or not. With pickgaurd will make the routing easier, but I'm not sure if I like the look of it or not. I also need good single coil pickups. Help appreciated.
Solid lacewood body. Expensive, but I feel like I need it. I love the look, and the tone and weight is exactly what I want. Either clear gloss finish or stained red. Feedback appreciated.
I'm trying to get a TremKing bridge, cause I don't want to route out all the tremolo cavity, and Tremking looks pretty solid.
22 Fret on a maple neck. 25.5" length jumbo frets.
Either gold hardware if I go for a clear finish, Chrome if I go red. Grover 18:1 locking tuners.
Since its SSS configuration, I'm probably going to do a Master volume two tone pot thingy. Probably 250K pots.

If there is anything I missed that I should have added, its because I don't know I need it, so if you could let me know that would be awesome.

What do you think?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Last edited by Baby Joel at Apr 7, 2009,
I think it will be bad to the ass!

Don't know much about building, but it sounds like a winner.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
Yep, I can easily order the wood and some parts right now. Luckily I don't have to pay for powertools or any of that, because I have a friend who lives no less than 5 minutes away, and there is a construction/maintenance person that has an endless supply of tools. I can use his.
it's all coming back

Do you want me to get you a price on a Tremking?

I have one here and have an arrangement with the manufacturer.

If you are building the body, then you need a TK2. What colour?
Isn't the TK2 with the built in single coil slant? I can't do that because I doing the VooDoo style, so the bridge pickup instead of being angled towards the high e, is mirrored and angled towards the low E. I'm thinking of actually getting the TK3 because it requires less to almost no routing.

The colour depends on the colour of the guitar. If I go clear gloss over the body, then gold. If I do a red stain, then chrome. I'm still a bit undecided.

But I would certainly love any discounts/deals that you have. And since you're here in England, that means I don't have to buy overseas.
it's all coming back

Quote by Baby Joel
Isn't the TK2 with the built in single coil slant? I can't do that because I doing the VooDoo style, so the bridge pickup instead of being angled towards the high e, is mirrored and angled towards the low E. I'm thinking of actually getting the TK3 because it requires less to almost no routing.

The colour depends on the colour of the guitar. If I go clear gloss over the body, then gold. If I do a red stain, then chrome. I'm still a bit undecided.

But I would certainly love any discounts/deals that you have. And since you're here in England, that means I don't have to buy overseas.

Sorry yeah, you want TK3. I thought they did the Tele bridge last (hence TK3) but they didn't!

TK3 still requires routing, but the unit is smaller because it doesn't have to fit in an existing Trem Rout.

You still need the spring retainers etc and access on the opposite side of the body.

But they are the most sh!t hot bridge ever. Have you ever seen one? Where did you hear about them?

Price wise, if you buy direct, it will cost you at least £120 plus and Import Duty etc.
Last edited by Skeet UK at Feb 6, 2009,
It does require routing? That's all right then. I was getting a little confused as to how they managed to get a tremolo with no routing or springs. :P

I have not seen one yet. I saw a thread back in the Electric Guitar forum asking if anyone had seen/used one. I hadn't heard of it, so I checked it out. I watched all the videos on youtube, and I was incredibly impressed. Once I saw it, I knew I wanted one.
it's all coming back

Quote by Baby Joel
It does require routing? That's all right then. I was getting a little confused as to how they managed to get a tremolo with no routing or springs. :P

I have not seen one yet. I saw a thread back in the Electric Guitar forum asking if anyone had seen/used one. I hadn't heard of it, so I checked it out. I watched all the videos on youtube, and I was incredibly impressed. Once I saw it, I knew I wanted one.

I have been singing their praises on here since I got mine.
And for good reason as well. :P
So, question guys. Clear gloss, or red stain?
Clear gloss will look like this: http://www.harryj.net/lacewood.jpg
Read stain will look like this, but darker and on lacewood: http://www.lauderdaleguitars.com/sitebuilder/images/hannahs_guitar_4-400x600.jpg

Also, I can't decide. Five-way pickup selector, or individual on-off switches?
it's all coming back

red because natural is gettign to be very overdone now imo and 5 way just because it looks cleaner and i don't know any people who've used the 3 switch layout and said it's that much better or that they use the 2 new pickup options that much if at all
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Red stain for sure. Can't wait to see this one done.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Where are you getting your Lacewood dude? And in what format (bookmatched etc?)

And I say Blue...or Blue and red.

And I also say, use candies, not stain.
There's some place in the states that send out just about all lumber in any size. Unfortunately its in the rough. But I'll deal with that later. I think the shipping will be most the cost. Since its lacewood solid body, its just going to be one big lacewood pattern.

Already have a blue, so I guess I'll do red.

What's candies? (I feel like a fool asking this)
it's all coming back

Quote by Baby Joel
There's some place in the states that send out just about all lumber in any size. Unfortunately its in the rough. But I'll deal with that later. I think the shipping will be most the cost. Since its lacewood solid body, its just going to be one big lacewood pattern.

Already have a blue, so I guess I'll do red.

What's candies? (I feel like a fool asking this)

That red guitar you posted, looks like it was done with candies, rather than stain.

Have you seen Ormsby's guitars? He uses candies (so I understand).

I do a bit of custom paint.

Candies, are a type of translucent, coloured lacquer.

You can make your own candies, by tinting clear lacquer.

You need spray equipment.

Usually, they are applied over a basecoat (such as silver) to enhance their look, deep, glossy finish.

Then you apply clear coat over that.
I thought it looked like stain (Perhaps I meant dye? Perhaps those are the same? Perhaps I just don't know anything?)
His guitars are fantastic.
Kent is a bit far away...but if I didn't think I could do it, would you mind? I feel like you're offering it, so I'm not quite sure how to respond.
Ooh, I don't have spray equipement, nor do I know how/where to get some and prices or anything. Is it expensive?
And it still retains the natural look of the guitar? Like, the lacewood pattern would still show, just as a quilt top or flame top would?
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to need a lot more, so be ready.
it's all coming back

Quote by Baby Joel
I thought it looked like stain (Perhaps I meant dye? Perhaps those are the same? Perhaps I just don't know anything?)
His guitars are fantastic.
Kent is a bit far away...but if I didn't think I could do it, would you mind? I feel like you're offering it, so I'm not quite sure how to respond.
Ooh, I don't have spray equipement, nor do I know how/where to get some and prices or anything. Is it expensive?
And it still retains the natural look of the guitar? Like, the lacewood pattern would still show, just as a quilt top or flame top would?
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to need a lot more, so be ready.

I wasn't offering as such. And I am only 35 miles from South London and you could always use postage.

I couldn't do it for free and I have things on at the moment, but nearer the time maybe yes.

Yes it would still show through. Stain the lacewood black first, then rub it down, this highlights the grain. Then hit it with candies.

EDIT: Just looked at the site, the red one is done with red stain, then lacquer.
Last edited by Skeet UK at Feb 6, 2009,
Street UK: Ah, well. Of course I would pay, that goes without saying. I may check the lacquer stuff out, experiment with spare wood before I try anything to see how it looks. Thanks for the suggestions!
Guitarcam123: 500k pots? To be honest, I have no idea. I heard that they were better, and they sound better to someone who has no idea what they are (In other words, me). Body will be normal.
it's all coming back

Quote by Baby Joel
Street UK: Ah, well. Of course I would pay, that goes without saying. I may check the lacquer stuff out, experiment with spare wood before I try anything to see how it looks. Thanks for the suggestions!
Guitarcam123: 500k pots? To be honest, I have no idea. I heard that they were better, and they sound better to someone who has no idea what they are (In other words, me). Body will be normal.

Its SKEET UK

Not Street UK
^

TS:
Quote by Stewmac
250K vs. 500K
Generally, 500K-ohm pots are used with humbuckers and 250Ks are used with single-coil pickups. 25K pots are used for active systems.

You can use any value you like, but a 250K will give a slightly warmer tone than a 500K pot. The 250K pot bleeds off (attenuates) some of the high frequencies to ground. A 1 Meg-ohm pot will attenuate even less than a 500K pot, so if you want to hear your guitar "wide open" you may want to try one.

Skeet UK: My bad.
guitarcam123: Wow. That clears up a lot. Thanks. I guess I'll go with 250K then!
it's all coming back

wow sounds like a nice build...

But in the spirit of UG i have to say MoAR PicZ!!1!
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
In reply, I have to say:
n7ed m0ar m0|\|3yz!!1!!!one!11!11!!!
But I will be ordering the wood soon, and start planing it.
Which brings me to another question, what is wood in the rough, and how do I plane it? I feel like such an idiot.
The problem is, the place that I'm ordering the wood from only sells it in the rough. I'm assuming this means as it says, and not smooth, but I'm not quite sure.
it's all coming back

from my understanding it means that It isn't planed flat. That's how the mahogany was on my tele build and of course my planer/ joiner was a quarter of an inch too small... So i did it with a hand planer and it didn't take all that long. But if i were you i would practice planing first because i tried to plane against the grain and it didn't turn out too well.

I'm sure you know this but make sure that this wood is kiln dried or it says that its between 6-8 percent moisture to avoid warping.
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
Yep, I'm still trying to contact the place about the woods dryness. Thanks on the plane info by the way.

If I cannot get a good piece of lacewood, I'm just going to get a soft maple with lacewood veneer.

EDIT: Just found something about the site I'm looking at (http://www.eisenbran.com by the way), and the wood is measured in the rough, but planed before shipping. So that's a plus one. I'm calling them right now in fact to find out about drying and if they do it or not.
Also, if anyone has information/experiences with this site, I'd be glad to hear it.
it's all coming back

Last edited by Baby Joel at Feb 6, 2009,
usually a lumber supply company only sells fully dried wood (between 6 and 8%) I will be very surprised if these guys are any different
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
It happened to me today actually I went looking for a piece of lumber for my second project and i almost bought a piece of alder when in the very fine print it said that the wood is green... but you are right that most reputable lumber dealers do only sell dry wood
Quote by Dr. House
So I contacted the wood dealership, and the wood is measured in the rough, but sold planed (I think I already told you that). I'm still waiting for a response on the wood dryness, if it is dried or not, but I'm pretty sure it will be dried. Also, I can't get one solid piece, I have to get two blanks 7" wide each, then just glue them together, but no biggie.
So here's a list of everything I'm planning on getting. I know I'm forgetting stuff, so please tell me. What I'm writing down is everything I'm getting, and I'm not leaving out some assumed things like screws and stuff, so if I don't have it down TELL ME! thx

TremKing TK3, tremolo unit.
Three 250K pots, one volume two tone.
1/4" input jack, coming out the side LP style
One 5-way switch
One square gold jackplate
One gold neck plate (For bolt on neck)
Two gold strap locks with two black felt washer things
1 Gold concentric pot for master volume
2 gold pots for tone
1 Paddle head neck, rosewood fingerboard.
1 graphite nut, pre-slotted
3 black single-coil pick-up rings
6 Grover 18:1 Gold locking tuners
Bareknuckle Slow Hand set pickups

Questions I have:
1: I don't know how much wires I'll need, or what type. Help pl0x?
2: Again, I don't know what size screws or anything I'll need. Do I need any ferrules, bushings, or anything for anything?
3: Anything else I missed?

Thanks much for reading, and for the help (Provided you give it).
And I've decided I'm doing red stain body with gold hardware.

EDIT: I'm planning on getting a lacewood veneer for the headstock and stain that red, so it all matches. Thoughts?
it's all coming back

Last edited by Baby Joel at Feb 8, 2009,
Sounds sexy. I would prefer chrome hardware, but you can't really go wrong either way.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I thought chrome hardware at first as well, but then I realized that gold is just so epic.
Quick question, if I do the top dyed red (Which I am), what colour should I do the back/sides? Also, should I put black binding on, and how hard is it doing that?

Ordering the wood either today or tomorrow.
it's all coming back

Quote by Baby Joel
Questions I have:
1: I don't know how much wires I'll need, or what type. Help pl0x?
2: Again, I don't know what size screws or anything I'll need. Do I need any ferrules, bushings, or anything for anything?
3: Anything else I missed?

1: 22AWG im sure it is and you'll be good to get a fair bit maybe 2 metres
2: What are the screws for?
3: I dunno...

With the other stuff, i think you should paint the back and sides black and do the hardware black. I think you should stain it black sand it down, stain it black again then sand it down, now repeat but with red stain
It will look awesomeness
1: Thanks for the info, I'll get some of those. Are they shielded/coated, or do I have to do that myself?
2: I don't know, any thing for tuners, pickups, anything. Most the stuff comes with screws though, so I'm hoping nothing.
3: What about capacitors? Do I need those for pots or anything?

That's the stain method I'm planning on doing. But black hardware? That might look a bit too br00talz, and this is a Firebird after all. I think gold hardware gives a vintage feel better. But once the wood comes, I'll stain it and sand it, and then look and see if black or gold looks better.
Oh, and one more thing. Binding? Yay or nay? If yay, how hard is it to do?

Sorry for my n00biness.
it's all coming back

Binding is kinda difficult, you can buy a thing on stewmac which fits on your router for binding, what you gotta do is route a channel around the outside of the body and then glue the binding in and let it set with tape holding it on.

The wire should be fine the way it is when you buy it

You may as well do black hardware, i don't think gold will fit in with the paint job

You will need one capacitor for the tone pots, im not sure which one though
That binding thing isn't...too bad. I might try it if I think it looks better.
One capacitor for each or one in total?
it's all coming back

And I just link it between the two pots, or what?
I really need to learn more about how guitars work. XD
it's all coming back

Just looked at the wiring diagram of the pickups I'm using, and I figured it out. I need a .05 mdf capacitor. That's what that little circle thing way. XD
Thanks for the help!
it's all coming back

if you're ordering from stewmac, you can just order one of their wiring kits. They're cheaper than buying it all separate.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Page 1 of 3