Would you play at a gig where you hated every song and weren't getting paid?

Page 1 of 2
Basically someone I know has asked me to play guitar at their 18th and I don't mind the person, but the set list is exactly the opposite of what I like to play. I'm into stuff like AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Aerosmith and the set list has songs like "Bang Bang" by Dirty Pretty Things and "Wonderwall" by Oasis. I'd just be going through the songs like a robot and it will be boring as hell.
Thats the music business. Unless you are Rush.

Life sucks. Unless you are Rush.
how about the energy etc. there, you forgot about that! and free drinks xd

Do it!!
Do it NOW!
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by JacobTheMe

Oh Mr Lifeson, I wish I could be you.

Quote by Neo Evil11
how about the energy etc. there, you forgot about that! and free drinks xd

Do it!!
Do it NOW!

Haha yeah, I've thought about all the free drinks and the fact that it's still a party before and after I play, that's tempting me a little.
If it were for being nice to a friend/someone I know, then yes. I wouldn't mind the songs, it's not like playing anything other than what I listen to hurts me or something. Sure, it could be kind of dull, but at least I'd be doing someone a favour.
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Just do it, every gig is an experience. I once did a battle of the bands with my old band and I hated all of our songs but the crowd loved us and we came in first so it was really worth it in the end.
Quote by Les Paul Ell
Basically someone I know has asked me to play guitar at their 18th and I don't mind the person, but the set list is exactly the opposite of what I like to play. I'm into stuff like AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Aerosmith and the set list has songs like "Bang Bang" by Dirty Pretty Things and "Wonderwall" by Oasis. I'd just be going through the songs like a robot and it will be boring as hell.

There are only 3 correct answers:
- say no
- say yes, but when it comes down to it, you simply don't show up
- say yes, and show up, but play Satan My Master by Bathory over and over again
If I was getting paid then yes. Since they're a friend, do it anyways.
Quote by loudog93
dude, a gig is a gig. not gonna lie selling out is part of the industry.

It's for free....

I'd say go for it, you might enjoy playing for people.
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
It has come to my recent attention that our good friend CoreysMonster is not permanently detained in the Fotb.

i would like to make an apology to the following people:

that is all.

I use Linux
Quote by Stentroll
If it were for being nice to a friend/someone I know, then yes. I wouldn't mind the songs, it's not like playing anything other than what I listen to hurts me or something. Sure, it could be kind of dull, but at least I'd be doing someone a favour.

My thoughts exactly
What I just said is a lie.
Well he's sort of a mate, in that we are in the same classes, but we never talk outside of lessons and never bump into each other outside of shcool.

I think I will probably do it. The rest of the band are pretty good so jamming with them might be fun and it's not like I haven't done gigs that I didn't want to before.
Are there any hot chicks?
Just do it man, you can ask favors of your friend after that.

Like borrowing his pony or something.
Quit moaning and just play it. It wont be boring when you're playing.

Unless you a grumpy ****...
I have done this, if you get free beer its good. Usually its fun to play even stuff you don't like for a crowd.
you can get some girls in the party...
and it will be kinda a gift ^^
Quote by Les Paul Ell
Well he's sort of a mate, in that we are in the same classes, but we never talk outside of lessons and never bump into each other outside of shcool.

I think I will probably do it. The rest of the band are pretty good so jamming with them might be fun and it's not like I haven't done gigs that I didn't want to before.

so why did you even bother with the question?
Quote by Eminored
Hentai. It's a completely different world that will rip your eye-sockets and and skull-screw you with its tentacles.
I did. It wasn't worth it, at all. We sounded ok, but it just wasn't fun and there were only about 30ish people there. The only good song we played was Hey You - Pink Floyd but it was really ****ty because the singer was a chick who couldn't really sing.

Plus I hated all the people I was playing with except one of them.

Overall, if I had gotten paid, it would've been worth it.
At the end of the day, playing music is supposed to be a fun activity. And playing at a mate's 18th party seems like an invitation to some fun and unprotected sex...

<_<

>_>

...ohh and I'm also turning 18 tomorrow...

...If anyone cares
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
Rofl, I felt like this everytime I was meant to perform for our school; 3-4 slow, old bull**** songs no one even wants to hear, as requested by the music teacher... It's equally as boring to me as our audience.

Btw... Do it anyway, no matter how bad you think the music sucks, they might like it and make them respect you more...I guess.
Quote by spider666
At the end of the day, playing music is supposed to be a fun activity. And playing at a mate's 18th party seems like an invitation to some fun and unprotected sex...

<_<

>_>

...ohh and I'm also turning 18 tomorrow...

...If anyone cares

Happy Birthday for tomorrow.

So basically what the pit has told me is to go to:

Play to an audience and just do a gig
Get free beer
Get free pussy

Well I can see one of those reasons weighing up a little more than the other two.
Quote by Les Paul Ell
Happy Birthday for tomorrow.

So basically what the pit has told me is to go to:

Play to an audience and just do a gig
Get free beer
Getfree pussy

Well I can see one of those reasons weighing up a little more than the other two.

That's just wrong ... at least leave a tip.
Oh please, everyones saying "a gig is a gig just do it bla bla bla"

Honestly dude, its not a gig, its an 18th birthday party. People will just be drunk and off in their own worlds talking to eachother and mixing it up, most people probably won't even realize your up there and will be too busy trying to hook up with other people and chilling with their friends. If you don't really want to do it.... simple, don't do it.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Last edited by trey-col89 at Feb 6, 2009,
Quote by JacobTheMe

Someone introduce this man to Fassa....
DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING
and
CAREFUL NOW

No man needs a holiday more than the man who has just had one.
Quote by JacobTheMe

It's not the music business, he's not even getting paid.

I probably wouldn't do it unless I was doing a very good friend a much appreciated favor.

Edit: Actually, you'd get exposure and there could be a guy in the audience who likes the same music as you and plays in a band that needs a new member. Go for it.
Last edited by Trefellin at Feb 6, 2009,
I'd play songs I like and not get paid.

I'd play songs I didn't like if I were getting paid.

But I wouldn't play songs I don't like and not get paid. That's pointless.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Last edited by Bertallica at Feb 6, 2009,
i figure if it is for someone you know you might as well do it. they will really appreciate it. plus you will probably have fun, assuming you like the people that are going to be there.
I would do it.
Playing in general is fun.
Regardless of what it is.
Quote by Rookie One
makes jizz shoot out of your don johnson
Quote by JacobTheMe

Haha, words of wisdom, my friend. I'm sigging it.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Page 1 of 2