Page 1 of 2
im thinking of downloading one but dont know if they are safe to use?
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
No, they are against the law and over 99 percent of people get caught eventually or get viruses.
Can I see a source for people getting caught? They're not all against the law, some distributors release things through torrents.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Just remember to use a condom.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Torrents, or the ones I have seen, are usually littered with viruses. I'd watch out if I was you.
My Gear:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guitars:
Gibson Explorer, Worn Cherry-

Amps:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 - 1 x 12 Combo, 100 watts, Hybrid

Effects:
Blues Driver Keeley Modded
No, if you turn your back on them they'll take you to court for sexual harassment, then while your being questioned will sell all of your valuables for heroin money
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Torrents and P2P are not against the law (at least not here in Canada).

What IS against the law is downloading copyrighted material.

Also, the bittorrent clients themselves (the program that you download) is perfectly safe, just look it up and get it from the makers site. (Check out utorrent)

As for the downloads, some contain viruses, but by the nature of P2P, a bad download will soon be abandoned, and since you're going to be looking for the torrent with the highest number of seeds/leeches, you're not likely to find any with viruses. In any case, you can just read through the comments a little to see if it's a virus or not.

Also, depending on what you get into downloading, you may notice that there are different groups who regularly release things, and you should pretty quickly learn which ones are reliable and which aren't (they like to bash on each other in their readmes... kinda funny).
first of all torrents are 100 percent legal and very effective. obviously if you share copyrighted material thats a different story. there are 2 ways i generally tell if a torrent has a virus. first of all if its a very small file or it doesnt have a lot of seeds then you know its bad. there are also some programs that will scan the torrents for viruses before you download them. I have been using torrents for a very long time and not once have i gotten a virus.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Quote by bendystraw
No, they are against the law and over 99 percent of people get caught eventually or get viruses.

Bull**** and bull****. The people that get caught are usually the ones that seed huuge amounts of data. Only the tiny minority of people get caught. And no, very few torrents contain trojans or viruses, torrents are ALOT safer than straight up P2P (Limewire etc).
Last edited by maggot9779 at Feb 6, 2009,
Quote by maggot9779
Bull**** and bull****. The people that get caught are usually the ones that seed huuge amounts of data. Only the tiny minority of people get caught. And no, very few torents contain trojans or viruses, torrents are ALOT safer than straight up P2P (Limewire etc).

Fix your sarcasm detector.
Quote by bendystraw
Fix your sarcasm detector.

That was sarcasm? God damn it, you could have used this smiley " ". This universally means you are being sarcastic.

man up and pay for your stuff faggot
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
Quote by maggot9779
That was sarcasm? God damn it, you could have used this smiley " ". This universally means you are being sarcastic.

Well what i was saying was so universally dumb that I figured everyone could tell. I guess it was just a lack of judgment for a second.
Quote by maggot9779
Bull**** and bull****. The people that get caught are usually the ones that seed huuge amounts of data. Only the tiny minority of people get caught. And no, very few torrents contain trojans or viruses, torrents are ALOT safer than straight up P2P (Limewire etc)... Until one day they start phoning you in the middle of the night, demanding to speak to Harold and even though you tell them Harold isn't there, the calls continue. Untill one day you realise torrents are actually just computer files and cannot use a phone or speak, which leaves you with the question, who the **** is Harold? A question that will plague you until the end of your days.

Fixed
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by bendystraw
Well what i was saying was so universally dumb that I figured everyone could tell. I guess it was just a lack of judgment for a second.

Meh, you never know in this place. We get dumb posts all the time
If you download from the right places..

And not public trackers (yes that includes Demonoid)

Quote by bendystraw

Where did you get your figures from?
If you even have to ask that question you might want to get some help from your friends who know what they're doing before you go out and try it yourself.
Quote by deathforyouth
Torrents, or the ones I have seen, are usually littered with viruses. I'd watch out if I was you.

Do you go on VirusTorrents.com?

I've been torrenting since junior year of high school without a single virus. Just be smart and don't download anything fake.

Quote by pwnerer
Unless you're totally PC-retarded (like the TS seems to be), torrents is one of the best and easiest way of downloading...

You must be English-retarded then, right? "torrents is one of...? LOL

But you are right.
Last edited by Joe-White at Feb 6, 2009,
Torrents are perfectly safe, very easy, and expose you to about a .00000001% chance of receiving legal retribution. The only reason to not do torrents is if you get all moral and decide you don't want to steal stuff, like some kinda fagot.
We're only strays.
Quote by pwnerer
Unless you're totally PC-retarded (like the TS seems to be), torrents is one of the best and easiest way of downloading...

I hear people raving about torrents, but i dont seem to be able to download them very well, as a test, me and my friend both downloaded the same torrent, his took 10 minutes to download (it was an album) and mine stopped at like 3weeks or something stupid, so i cut off the download
Same here.. been using for years with no viruses. Just look to see if a lot of people have the file already, and also if there's a bunch of positive comments on it.. I mean c'mon, obviously not everyone was stupid enough to download it if it was a virus.
"When sh*t becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."
Quote by IbanezLol
If you download from the right places..

And not public trackers (yes that includes Demonoid)

Demonoid is fine, it just has a lot of leechers who don't seed, like most other trackers. Private trackers are nice, but aren't for everyone. Sometimes the ratio's arent super accurate if you're behind a router or firewall.
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
man up and pay for your stuff faggot

man up and outgrow your childish tendencies like name calling.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Quote by nightwalker903
im thinking of downloading one but dont know if they are safe to use?

Generally, if you get a popular torrent off thepiratebay, that has not been flagged and with quite a few seeds and leechers, it will be safe.

There are more than half the number of viruses/trojians than on limewire.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
Quote by allislost
man up and outgrow your childish tendencies like name calling.

haha yeah because the way i act in the pit accurately reflects what i'm like in real life get a grip.
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
Quote by Joe-White
Demonoid is fine, it just has a lot of leechers who don't seed, like most other trackers. Private trackers are nice, but aren't for everyone. Sometimes the ratio's arent super accurate if you're behind a router or firewall.

It's not so much the availability of files, it's who else may be a member of those public sites (MPAA, RIAA anyone?)
Quote by IbanezLol
It's not so much the availability of files, it's who else may be a member of those public sites (MPAA, RIAA anyone?)

There are programs that will remedy that.

Lookup PeerGuardian.
Torrents are fine. I've never once had a problem. But yeah, if you can avoid ones with fewer seeds, I would. Also, if you're downloading music, for example, uncheck any extra files (i.e. pictures, text documents, anything other than the mp3 files). That'll make you less likely to get a virus, and will save disk space.
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
haha yeah because the way i act in the pit accurately reflects what i'm like in real life get a grip.

Well you even call yourself "UG's Retard" so I wouldn't be too sure about that.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by deathforyouth

Don't download cracked games, then
I used torrents for ages on my old pc - no problems.

Slightly related, anyone know of a torrent client that works on macs? I tried the mac version of uTorrent, but every download stays at 0% for hours same with various other clients
Do or do not, there is no try. - Albus Dumbledore
Page 1 of 2