I have this physics project and we can do whatever we want for it. I'm thinking about making an amp, but I have no idea how to go about this. I don't need anything fancy by any means. I was thinking of a combo amp, single channel, maybe 5 watts and I'm undecided on whether or not it will be a tube amp. Could anyone link me to resources where I could find the information I would need to build an amp like this? Thank-you.
EDIT: I live up in Yellowknife, NT and this needs to be done by the 23rd so ordering isn't an option.
Last edited by Locked_Deadbolt at Feb 6, 2009,
if tube....

www.ax84.com

if transistor....look up the 'ruby' or 'little gem', or something like that.

both are good projects.

here: http://www.runoffgroove.com/ruby.html that is for the ruby amp.
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Feb 6, 2009,
Go get a P1 kit at AX84.com. If you're doing it for a physics project, they have a big writeup on the theory behind it...good stuff, should help you write or present or whatever...
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by DLrocket89
Go get a P1 kit at AX84.com. If you're doing it for a physics project, they have a big writeup on the theory behind it...good stuff, should help you write or present or whatever...

I should have added that I live all the way up in Yellowknife and I need to have this all done by the 23rd so ordering is not much of an option.
Sucky. Go solid state then, you can pick up all the stuff at a Rat Shack or something... too much "infrastrcture" for tube stuff.
Quote by kcdakrt

So the Ruby would be the way to go? I've also been doing some reading and I was wondering if I need a chassis and if the chassis has to be metal.
Quote by Locked_Deadbolt
So the Ruby would be the way to go? I've also been doing some reading and I was wondering if I need a chassis and if the chassis has to be metal.

You could probably breadboard a ruby. if you have a chassis, yeah, it should be metal.
Quote by kcdakrt

Quote by Locked_Deadbolt
Sorry if this sounds dumb, but what does breadboard mean?
And thank-you for your help.

No problem. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2734155

It's a way of connecting things so that you can build an electrical circuit w/o having to solder anything.
Quote by kcdakrt

Ahh, thanks a lot . Does breadboarding have any advantages or disadvantages over soldering? I'm only asking because I'll most likely be able to get to a soldering iron.