alright it turns out i need a new guitar i threw my other one out the window. accident. so i have 300 dollars to work with please give me some ideas because all i know about guitar is how to play. my last one was a gift. i dont know whats a good gutiar or not so i need some ideas please.
[IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm67/tacomantaco/suicidetree-1.jpg[/IMG]
Wait how do you throw a guitar out a window on accident?

Anyway I cant suggest anything until you give us music style and what amp you have
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by mysuicidaltree
alright it turns out i need a new guitar i threw my other one out the window. accident. so i have 300 dollars to work with please give me some ideas because all i know about guitar is how to play. my last one was a gift. i dont know whats a good gutiar or not so i need some ideas please.

How does that even happen!?

Anyway,what styles of music do you play,what amp do you use,and what are your preferences for a guitars features and specs.Believe it or not,just saying "good guitar" doesn't give us much to go on.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

You THREW your guitar out the window on ACCIDENT? Sorry I'm just picturing this:

*hurls guitar through the window with full force*
"Oh ****! Oops!"

Haha, anyway, you have to give more info man. What kind of sound you want, what kind of music you play...$300 won't get you much if you're buying new man...
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by Rheo420
my guess is he was practicing some of janick gers stage techniques

Ironically I just turned on one of their live dvd's with janick.

Anyway TS we need to know what kind of music you like playing and what kind of amp you have to make some good recommendations.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Wait how do you throw a guitar out a window on accident?

Anyway I cant suggest anything until you give us music style and what amp you have

i like metal/rock and i always play on my friends amp i dont have my own lol. im saving tho :S i think he has a 15 watt epiphone?
[IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm67/tacomantaco/suicidetree-1.jpg[/IMG]
Quote by Lethal Dosage

Ironically I just turned on one of their live dvd's with janick.

Anyway TS we need to know what kind of music you like playing and what kind of amp you have to make some good recommendations.

i like playing metal/rock and i play on a 15 watt epiphone amp
Quote by Spoony_Bard
You THREW your guitar out the window on ACCIDENT? Sorry I'm just picturing this:

*hurls guitar through the window with full force*
"Oh ****! Oops!"

Haha, anyway, you have to give more info man. What kind of sound you want, what kind of music you play...$300 won't get you much if you're buying new man...

i play metal/rock what kind of sound i want? good sound? hah
Quote by mysuicidaltree

Ok now that we have the absolute basics,what features do you want in the guitar? We need pickup type,configuration,bridge style,neck style,and so on.

Edit: There's also no need to answer the same question three times,it just clogs up the thread with useless posts.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut

How does that even happen!?

Anyway,what styles of music do you play,what amp do you use,and what are your preferences for a guitars features and specs.Believe it or not,just saying "good guitar" doesn't give us much to go on.

as i said with other quotes metal/rock i play on a 15 watt epiphone amp but im getting a new one. i really like ibanez guitars. second place is ESP and third has to be fender.

uhh i guess i like 3 coil pickups? i dont really know anything about that stuff but im guesing one pickup isnt as good as 3.
Quote by mysuicidaltree

Alright let me look here.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RE2EX1-Electric-Guitar?sku=519783

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG3EXQM1-Quilted-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=519784

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

These ibanez guitars actually arent bad for the money. The RG series is basically made for rock and metal so you cant go wrong there. Trust me I own one

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kramer-Striker-FR422SM-Electric-Guitar?sku=515339

Maybe a Kramer? Ive heard mixed reviews about the new ones though.

Check those out theres a few more but those are my suggestions.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by mysuicidaltree
as i said with other quotes metal/rock i play on a 15 watt epiphone amp but im getting a new one. i really like ibanez guitars. second place is ESP and third has to be fender.

uhh i guess i like 3 coil pickups? i dont really know anything about that stuff but im guesing one pickup isnt as good as 3.

Wow,you weren't lying when you said you don't know **** about guitars,this is going to be a rough road haha.Uhm.....what kind of bridge do you want? Trem? Fixed? Double locking? Also,when you say 3 coil pickups do you mean 3 single coil pickups?

Quote by Pr0gNut
Ok now that we have the absolute basics,what features do you want in the guitar? We need pickup type,configuration,bridge style,neck style,and so on.

Edit: There's also no need to answer the same question three times,it just clogs up the thread with useless posts.

sorry :S
uh as i saidi dont know alot but ill try my best. pickup type? um..zakk wylde? i heard those are good iguess. configuration...whatever that means. bridge style.... shark tooth. neck style i dont care. and so on....the colors i like most are see thru red and see thru blue
Quote by mysuicidaltree
uh as i saidi dont know alot but ill try my best. pickup type? um..zakk wylde? i heard those are good iguess. configuration...whatever that means. bridge style.... shark tooth. neck style i dont care. and so on....the colors i like most are see thru red and see thru blue

Look at my post above theres 3 pretty nice fixed bridge RG models in your range, ive actually played them they are good for the money.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Pr0gNut
Wow,you weren't lying when you said you don't know **** about guitars,this is going to be a rough road haha.Uhm.....what kind of bridge do you want? Trem? Fixed? Double locking? Also,when you say 3 coil pickups do you mean 3 single coil pickups?

yeah i ment 3 single coil pickups. and to tell you the truth i dont know what the heck you mean about what kind of bridge.. rosewood? tremelo? if you mean a whammy bar then yeah. fixed? dunno.. double locking dunno...
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Look at my post above theres 3 pretty nice fixed bridge RG models in your range, ive actually played them they are good for the money.

i like the kramer
Quote by mysuicidaltree
yeah i ment 3 single coil pickups. and to tell you the truth i dont know what the heck you mean about what kind of bridge.. rosewood? tremelo? if you mean a whammy bar then yeah. fixed? dunno.. double locking dunno...

Since you dont know a whole lot about guitars yet I dont recommend a floyd at this point Id recommend you get a fixed bridge cause they are alot easier to maintain and use.

Basically bridges break down like this:

Fixed Bridge: No Whammy Bar whatsoever

Vintage Bridge: They use this one on strats it doesnt lock but does give you some whammy ability. Youd want to invest in some locking tuners with this bridge.

Floyd Rose/Double Locking Bridge: Hardest to maintain but gives you can do pretty much any whammy trick with it. Plus it locks so you RARELY have to tune it, I make minor adjustments to mine when I play every day but thats cause I try in vain to keep it in perfect tune.

Hes just talking about the woods used to make both the fretboard and the body, there are minor differences in tone depending on which wood it is. Alder is generally really light and has more of a bright tone while something like mahogany has a darker warmer type tone to it. Basswood (like my RG is made of) is in the middle.

EDIT: I couldnt tell you whether the kramer is good or not Ive never played it. Im the ibanez guy around here
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Lethal Dosage at Feb 6, 2009,
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Since you dont know a whole lot about guitars yet I dont recommend a floyd at this point Id recommend you get a fixed bridge cause they are alot easier to maintain and use.

Basically bridges break down like this:

Fixed Bridge: No Whammy Bar whatsoever

Vintage Bridge: They use this one on strats it doesnt lock but does give you some whammy ability. Youd want to invest in some locking tuners with this bridge.

Floyd Rose/Double Locking Bridge: Hardest to maintain but gives you can do pretty much any whammy trick with it. Plus it locks so you RARELY have to tune it, I make minor adjustments to mine when I play every day but thats cause I try in vain to keep it in perfect tune.

Hes just talking about the woods used to make both the fretboard and the body, there are minor differences in tone depending on which wood it is. Alder is generally really light and has more of a bright tone while something like mahogany has a darker warmer type tone to it. Basswood (like my RG is made of) is in the middle.

EDIT: I couldnt tell you whether the kramer is good or not Ive never played it. Im the ibanez guy around here

so i shouldent get the kramer? and what the heck is floyd? iv heard it but never understood.. oh and how is a floyd rose hard to maintain?
Last edited by mysuicidaltree at Feb 6, 2009,
Quote by mysuicidaltree

I think we need to give you a crash course in guitar anatomy before we suggest anything

Zakk wylde uses active pickups through a high end tube amp,so that's out of the question.At your price range and with the amp you're using, passive pickups would be your best bet,they sound better through solid state amps and don't need a battery like actives do.

Configuration,meaning pickup configuration,is the set of pickups on a guitar and how they are spaced.For example, a guitar with three single coil pickups would be an SSS configuration guitar,S in this case meaning single coil.A guitar with two humbucking pickups would be referred to as an HH config. guitar.Since you play metal I'm guessing a guitar with 2 humbuckers or an HSH config. guitar would be your best bet.

Now we come to a problem,when I said bridge style you said shark tooth,which means you are confusing the bridge with the inlays on the fretboard.The bridge is what anchors the strings at the body end of the guitar.I'm going to say fixed bridge because a trem style bridge is completely out of the question with your current guitar knowledge.

All this has me believing that the Epiphone EM-2 EX model is the best guitar for you.It has a fixed bridge and is see through blue,with a very comfortable neck profile.It has two humbuckers that can be switched been high output active mode,and a lower output passive mode that doesn't require batteries.It has modern blade style inlays and a price tag of exactly 300 USD.

Here's a picture of it:

Quote by mysuicidaltree
so i shouldent get the kramer? and what the heck is floyd? iv heard it but never understood..

Im not saying you shouldnt Im just saying you should get another opinion from someone else on it cause ive never played it. Im usually the ibanez guy like I said thats where most of my knowledge is.

Lets see how do I explain floyd without showing someone...

Well basically have you ever played a strat?

Its basically like your normal whammy bar system that you find on strats and cheaper guitars. It just has more range to it and I think it gives you alot more versatility and range then a strat style bridge. It locks your tuning too and once its locked you usually dont have to tune it for a while (unless your floyd is crappy). There's a learning curve involved though if you want a floyd guitar but once you get it down its REALLY easy and I like it more than a fixed bridge guitar.

EDIT: Above me he got it perfect as far as explaining the anatomy goes, I was about to do the same
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Lethal Dosage at Feb 6, 2009,
The easiest is go to a store and try all guitars in your price range and buy the one most apealing to you. From all guitars, in my opinion, Ibanez make the best guitars in the low to mid price range. They sound and play like guitars twice their price.
Quote by WantzChas
The easiest is go to a store and try all guitars in your price range and buy the one most apealing to you. From all guitars, in my opinion, Ibanez make the best guitars in the low to mid price range. They sound and play like guitars twice their price.

Agreed I love my RG it cost me $300 but it plays like something that costs twice as much.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Agreed I love my RG it cost me $300 but it plays like something that costs twice as much.

I forgot that Ibanez recently did a price drop on a couple fixed bridge RG models.The RG321 and the RG3EXQM1 would be good options as well.My vote still goes for the Epi EM-2 series,just because it has those duel active/passive pups and some higher quality hardware.The 400 dollar model has an original floyd on it for gods sake.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I forgot that Ibanez recently did a price drop on a couple fixed bridge RG models.The RG321 and the RG3EXQM1 would be good options as well.My vote still goes for the Epi EM-2 series,just because it has those duel active/passive pups and some higher quality hardware.The 400 dollar model has an original floyd on it for gods sake.

I agree it looks like an amazing guitar. Ive always been an ibanez fan as you can tell so I always recommend them

The quilted maple one looks cool Ive played it its nice for the price I almost bought one locally here a couple months ago. Plus the looks are a big plus.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
I agree it looks like an amazing guitar. Ive always been an ibanez fan as you can tell so I always recommend them

The quilted maple one looks cool Ive played it its nice for the price I almost bought one locally here a couple months ago. Plus the looks are a big plus.

The Prophecy series plays a lot like Ibanez models IMO,they both have fast and thin satin finished necks and great fret access.I owned the RG3ex1 for 2 years,it's a great guitar for the money.I was going to upgrade the pups but I sold it off to fund the purchase of my Jackson.If the shop I sold it to still has it I may just buy it back,since it's probably only 200 bucks or so now and it'd make a great mod guitar.