How much difference will I hear (through a phonic helix board 12, stock preamps).

Is it worth the £225?

Should I stump up the £360 for the NT55's?

Or go for something completely different?

£400 MAXIMUM.

I'm looking for nice drum overheads to use with the recorderman tecnique. I like smooooth and silky, over accurate (to a certain extent...).
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Never tried a Behringer mic, but I presume they're "ok". Used Rhodes before, sound fantastic and always value for money.

Don't forget to get a matched pair though.
Behringer are okay but i'd say that the Rhodes were better and yeah use a pair it would be a bad idea too use different mics.
I own a pair of NT5's, and the results are always fantastic. I can't speak for the 55's or the behringer, but the NT5's are great value for money, and I can't recommend them any more highly.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Well I have the behringer's. They work. Just.

I definitely need to look further into the NT5's then. Looks like a great deal!
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
NT5's are ok. Kind of harsh in my opinion. If I could choose again, I would get Shure SM81's or Cascade Fatheads.
Cant get cascade fatheads here.

81's cost a fortune. Over £300 each.

May aswell get a couple of neumann's by then..

SE4's?

I used some SE3's (some time ago mind you) to record a piano + some other orchestral instrument (cant for the life of me remember what it was) and they were ok. The mids seemed a bit muddy, but it was an awful room we recorded in so it could easily be put down to that.

NT1a's? Not exactly drum overheads but they could save me buying a vocal mic in the future

Actually, the SE2200A's I used a while ago where pretty nice. Sounded a bit old school, which I'm well into.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I own an sE2200A and it's a nice mic for vocals, but I wouldn't use it for drum overheards. Although the NT5's are admittedley a little bright, I find it brings out some clarity and sparkle in the cymbals.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?