I just went and bought a 1/4 to 1/8 to plug into my guitar into my pc. It works fine as a clean tone, no static or anything, but when i hit the start button on "guitar fx box 2.7" I get all static and noise.

I've tried messing around with all the inputs/outputs so thats not the problem and i don't think my sound card is lacking, bought a pretty decent PC a couple months back. If it helps, i'm running realtek HD inputs and outputs.

Was reading the help menu and it says something about the monitor causing interference and to see if turning it off helps and that didn't work. Also mentioned if my sound card is in the slot directly beside my video card, that may cause interference and to move my sound card a slot over.

Any other ideas on how to get rid of static?

Thanks in advance.
Quote by waynerz99
I just went and bought a 1/4 to 1/8 to plug into my guitar into my pc. It works fine as a clean tone, no static or anything, but when i hit the start button on "guitar fx box 2.7" I get all static and noise.

I've tried messing around with all the inputs/outputs so thats not the problem and i don't think my sound card is lacking, bought a pretty decent PC a couple months back. If it helps, i'm running realtek HD inputs and outputs.

Was reading the help menu and it says something about the monitor causing interference and to see if turning it off helps and that didn't work. Also mentioned if my sound card is in the slot directly beside my video card, that may cause interference and to move my sound card a slot over.

Any other ideas on how to get rid of static?

Thanks in advance.

That is actually one of the worst sound cards you can get at the moment. Probably the cause of the noise.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
The PC itself will kick out a lot interfeerance (sp), single coils are the worst for picking it up, hubuckers are designed to try and eliminate exactly this problem.

sheilding the guitar, and a screened cable will help, but probably one of the best ideas is to try and get as far away from the PC as you can.

you may also find twisting to face in a different direction may help, so at 90 degrees to the PC rather than facing it!!

move about, see what happens!!
You need to download a program called ASIO4ALL. Its a latency problem your having. You can run the input of your guitar into the pc no problem. But if your wanting to run your guitar singnal through a program on the pc, such as a pedal or amp emulator, then your guitar signal must be converted to digital. The sound card you have is not capable of doing it correctly by itself. Get ASIO4ALL, and learn how to set it up.
Quote by waynerz99
Thanks so much matt. I'm going to attempt this and post back.

I just looked on the guitar fx box site and version 2.7 does accept ASIO drivers. Thats definatley your problem. You'll probably need to go into your Guitar FX box options and change the sound device from the realtek to ASIO. Then you'll need to configure the ASIO. You should be able to find all the info you need on Google.
Yeah i knew i recognized ASIO from somewhere, i have it set to that input and output but i'm still getting strange static noises that keep changing from high to low. Currently reading through the instructions / troubleshooting to mute the static.
Also i tried leemurs idea of moving away from the pc. If i'm 5 feet away or my guitar is touching my pc, it doesn't increase/decrease the static at all.
When I first installed Amplitube I had similar problems. All kinds of horrible racket coming from my PC. Once I got ASIO straightened out though it stopped. Took me about 2 days to get it dialed in perfect. Some sound cards are easier to work with than others. I bought a new sound card not so long ago that takes care of this problem. It has ASIO type software integrated into the card. You can also get a cheap interface, that will solve this problem.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Feb 6, 2009,
Oh well!! that seemed to eliminate a lot of the problems when i used my strat with my PC, i live and learn!!