15 54%
Kustom Deep End
2 7%
Fender Bassman
2 7%
OTHER - Please elaborate!
9 32%
Voters: 28.
Just so you know, I just bought myself a beautiful Ashdown MAG 600R. It should be in hopefully by next weekend.

Now I begin my quest of finding the right cab. I'm 95% sure I'm set on getting the classic 410 + 115 full stack, so unless you feel REALLY strongly otherwise, let's talk less about configuration and more about brand. The important thing here is that, though I love SWR and GK, I'm a pretty low-budget fellow. I won't even be able to buy any cabs for a good while, which will be torture while I have that beautiful MAG in my possession. So, we're talking about under $400 a cab here.

There's of course the option of just getting the full set - getting the Ashdown MAG 115 and 410. I don't think that would be a terrible idea - besides, don't companies usually make cabs to compliment their respective heads?

Then there's Kustom. Kustom has great deals and a good reputation. The only problem with them is that... I've never heard one in person. But that seems like less of a problem with cabs than it would with a head, by far. I'm looking at the Deep End series, and they look promising.

Then you have Fender Bassman. I've played extensively through a stack of Bassman cabs, with a GK 700RB (drool) running through them. I'm not sure how much of it was the head, but I've always been very impressed with that stack. Fender cabs are also usually pretty reliable, as far as I know. Another good option, though just a tad pricier than the other two.

Then there's Genz Benz. No, just kidding.

So, bass forumers, here is your charge: vote to tell me which brand cabs YOU think I should consider, and tell me why. I've included an "other" option, for obvious reasons - if you choose this option, please make sure you tell me which brand (duh), and just as importantly, why.

BEGIN!
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
go with the ashdown cabs. i'm gonna get the 1x15 and i already have the 4x10.
I play bass!
Can I negatively vote for the Kustom?
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
I really wish I'd bought a Hartke or GK instead of my Ashdown cab so I'd say buy either Hartke or GK.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I know Carvin's cabs aren't nearly as reveared as their heads, but it seems to me that they're still decent cabs for a low price, have you considered them? Plus I see them come up used fairly often on craigslist.

And they don't have a 1*15 last time I checked, but avatar speakers has 4*10 cabs for right around $400 I think, they get new blemished items pretty often too, so if you have a little time and keep your eye on it, you might get one for 30 or 50 less.

edit* are there any GK cabs other than backline and goldline for that cheap? Because I think both of those lines are pretty much garbage. (And it's not unjustified bias seeing as I'm playing through a backline cab right now )
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Feb 6, 2009,
Carvin has some sick 115's, and the 410's are very, very loud. I think you should at least look at them. They're $350 and under, I think, unless you get a neo.

As for the brands you listed, all but GK have a fairly warm tone to them from what I hear, but Kustom and Fender will have a more modern tone, while Ashdown will have more of a vintage "woof".
Nope, no sig here.
The Ashdowns dont have enough wattage for your amp.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
The Ashdowns dont have enough wattage for your amp.

450 W power handling for the 410 + 250 W power handling for the 115 = 700 W power handling for a 575 W head.

As for people mentioning Carvins, no I had not considered them, I might have to check them out in more detail.

As for GK, I'd have to catch it on eBay or Craigslist to get some that weren't too much and weren't Backline/Goldline. Those are pretty bad, you're right.

Now Mutant Corn, I was thinking about that earlier. I mean, I loved those Bassman cabs with a GK running through them - but GK and Ashdown make very different amplifiers. I've only ever heard MAG heads through MAG speakers, and yes, they were pretty "vintage" sounding - very "woof". How do you think the overall final tone would be if I ran Ashdown head through, say, Fender cabs?
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

No way man, i just got my 600R cant wait to play it through a cab. Im getting a peavey tvx 4x10. I dont know how theyll sound toghether but i hope its great. It says on the back of the head that it peaks at a 1000 watts man.

Im going to say a Hartke or peavey over the actual mag cabs. Or something with the adjustable tweeter.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by WhyLater
450 W power handling for the 410 + 250 W power handling for the 115 = 700 W power handling for a 575 W head.

My mistake, I htought the 410 was rated 250 as well
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I'm going to say Carvin. Most bang for your buck, exrtremely versatile and I think they have a 2 week return policy, full refund with no questions asked (or something along those lines). So even if you don't like 'em (ha!) you'll get your money back.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by ScottB.
My mistake, I htought the 410 was rated 250 as well

Yeah the 210 is 250W, which means you actually couldn't use it with the 600, which I think is retarded. But oh well, not that I planned on that anyway.

Quote by fatgoogle
No way man, i just got my 600R cant wait to play it through a cab. Im getting a peavey tvx 4x10. I dont know how theyll sound toghether but i hope its great. It says on the back of the head that it peaks at a 1000 watts man.
I'm glad I'm in good company then! Peaks at a kilowatt? That's impressive. Aside from just tone, I might want to get something that just has better power handling than the MAG speakers.

I'm getting a lot of Hartke and Carvin here. This quest will be even more treacherous than I once thought.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

For me anyway, the main reason i started looking at peavey, was that they are reliable can handle the wattage fine and have an adjustable tweeter. I dont really use tweeters but i like having the option too as my tone may change in time.

I have no idea about carvin, but hartke are lovely. If your straped for money you could get a behringer cab, and before you go no, ifmyou go play a couple you will find a good one, i swear some of them sound as good as any low range cab. Otherwise do look for something else, theres plenty a second hand market, so higher end cabs arent nessicarily out of the question.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I STRONGLY, STRONGLY, STRONGLY advise you narrowing your search to Carvin and Avatar, which surprisingly hasn't been mentioned. You're clearly on a budget and with those two companies you'll be getting so much better than an Ashdown, Kustom or Fender cab, for less money. I would really lean towards Avatar at this particular moment, just because they are all equipped with neo speakers which is a nice feature when you start talking about such large pieces of equipment. The Carvins have neo speaker options, but if memory serves they're a little bit more expensive.

Either way, Carvin and Avatar are your choices at this point, in my books.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I STRONGLY, STRONGLY, STRONGLY advise you narrowing your search to Carvin and Avatar, which surprisingly hasn't been mentioned. You're clearly on a budget and with those two companies you'll be getting so much better than an Ashdown, Kustom or Fender cab, for less money. I would really lean towards Avatar at this particular moment, just because they are all equipped with neo speakers which is a nice feature when you start talking about such large pieces of equipment. The Carvins have neo speaker options, but if memory serves they're a little bit more expensive.

Either way, Carvin and Avatar are your choices at this point, in my books.

Hey hey, I mentioned Avatar in the same post in which I suggest Carvin

Really wish that they sold a 1*15 though.
look at hartke's hydrive cabs, they sound fantastic, all the benefits of hartkes aluminium cones plus the benefits of paper cones, granted they aren't for everyone but they are definately worth a look
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
HyDrives are a bit bright for an Ashdown, don't you think?

For the 410, I agree that Carvin and Avatar are probably the best options right now, as they're both very cost effective. A Carvin BR410 is $350, and will be much louder than the Avatar, while the Avatar B410 is $430 and has neo speakers and corner protectors.

On the 115 side, Carvin wins over avatar by default. Ashdown's MAG, Kustom's Deep End, and Fender's Bassman 115 cabs are all rated at 250W, and you'll need each cab to hold a bare minimum of 300W. If you want to dish out a bit more, Ashdown's ABM 115 holds 300, and Kustom's G-series holds 450.

If you don't mind not having a matching set, Traynor has a 400W 115 cab that should work well with any of these. Basson also has a 300W ported 115, but I don't know much about it.
Nope, no sig here.
Avatar cabinets for sure. Perhaps a little more than you are willing to spend (haven't checked their prices in a while), but they deserve to be considered.

And you should very well go used if you can. Regardless of how much you hate Ampeg, they make a good 1x15 and you can probably find one for under $300 if you look around enough. Deals such as this are abound. PEAVEY is also a brand to be mentioned, in addition to Carvin and the others said before.

EDIT: How much damage are you willing to do to your back? Because most normal 4x10s approach 100 pounds and a 1x15 is usually at least 50. Tack on your head and thats a fairly hefty rig you have there. If weight is a concern than you may want to go neo.
Last edited by IndianRockStar at Feb 7, 2009,
Try to find and older used Trace Elliot cab. The 115s are nice, the cell. speakers will blow you away. They are nice.
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Trace Elliot GP7SM 200watt bass combo
Quote by IndianRockStar
Avatar cabinets for sure. Perhaps a little more than you are willing to spend (haven't checked their prices in a while), but they deserve to be considered.

And you should very well go used if you can. Regardless of how much you hate Ampeg, they make a good 1x15 and you can probably find one for under $300 if you look around enough. Deals such as this are abound. PEAVEY is also a brand to be mentioned, in addition to Carvin and the others said before.

EDIT: How much damage are you willing to do to your back? Because most normal 4x10s approach 100 pounds and a 1x15 is usually at least 50. Tack on your head and thats a fairly hefty rig you have there. If weight is a concern than you may want to go neo.

Oh, IRS... I don't really HATE Ampegs... I just kind of resent them. I acknowledge they are high quality cabs though. Mostly, I just don't like the SVT heads and the 8x10. I'm sure having a 4x10 and a 1x15 would be pretty cool in conjunction. But I'll still probably get something else.

Weight really isn't a problem. At least not for my person. I'm a big guy, and really don't mind lifting heavy speakers - I do it all the time at church, and whenever I would borrow my mentors stack for gigs. On the other hand, I have a small car - a Hyundai Accent hatchback. But I don't think the weight of the cabs would exceed the weight of four extra passengers. Size, however, IS a problem. That's just one reason I'm not considering a fridge.

And trust me, my fellow forumers - I'm definitely going used. Unless I find myself having a few more hundred dollars than I thought I would, then maybe a $300 brand new cab wouldn't be so bad. But yeah.

Jazzy's strongly strongly strongly suggesting both Carvin and Avatar. In retrospect, I have heard many good things about Carvin. Maybe I'll end up getting an Avatar 410 and a Carvin 115? Hmm...
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

In Firefox history, this page's title showed up as " The head has been bought! Now, which bra..."
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

^ lol

Oh hey, I'd forgotten about Peavey. They do make a good cab, if you can find them. I'm so used to them either being just out of someone's price range that I'd stopped mentioning them. They'll provide a pretty neutral sound...maybe a bit on the warm side. Also, if you're going used, Peavey can almost never be beat for what you'll pay. Check eBay, you'll see what I mean.

Also, I found It's from Kustom's upper line of cabs, and apparently is being discontinued on MF. Heck of a deal, IMO. Plus, a 410+215 rig would be pretty imposing onstage.
Nope, no sig here.
Ya i got my poeavey tvx 4x10 for 100 with postage.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Mutant Corn
^ lol

Oh hey, I'd forgotten about Peavey. They do make a good cab, if you can find them. I'm so used to them either being just out of someone's price range that I'd stopped mentioning them. They'll provide a pretty neutral sound...maybe a bit on the warm side. Also, if you're going used, Peavey can almost never be beat for what you'll pay. Check eBay, you'll see what I mean.

Also, I found It's from Kustom's upper line of cabs, and apparently is being discontinued on MF. Heck of a deal, IMO. Plus, a 410+215 rig would be pretty imposing onstage.

I definitely saw that, and was definitely considering it. My mentor said it would be pretty awesome to have, and yeah, he said with a 410. It's a hell of a deal, and would probably suit my needs quite nicely. The only problem is that I don't have the funds right now to buy anything else. Even though $250 is an amazing price for that, I just don't have $250. And since it's on clearance, I'm guessing I'll be too late when I do have the cash.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder