Someone please help me, i looked at my guitar today and noticed the bottom of my neck where it meets the back was cracked around it coming away from the body. What is going on.
lack of water in the wood

Edt:nevermind i just read what you said it's not because of humidity
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Last edited by about at Feb 6, 2009,
This is your accoustic? Without seeing the guitar & damage it's hard to say whether its a humidity issue or not. Do you leave the guitar out of it's case all the time? Are you in a dry climate? Do you own a guitar humidifier? This sounds pretty serious and will definitely need professional assessment and a pro may be able to stop the problem and recitfy.
Moving on.....
Humidity doesn't cause the neck to tear off and neither does the truss rod. Something else is up and you should get it fixed by a pro right away.

What type of guitar is it?
I agree with the pro advice as it was the same thing I said. I disagree though that (lack of) humidity won't cause major damage! It can destroy a guitar. Anything from split tops or backs to possibly even a neck block if it had a flaw in it to start with. Again when someone reports a problem no one can tell for sure what the problem is simply from a persons description. Even pics sometimes aren't enough whcih is why for something like this you need to go seek competent help. There's no way there's a quick fix for this.
Moving on.....
Quote by GC Shred Off
Humidity doesn't cause the neck to tear off and neither does the truss rod. Something else is up and you should get it fixed by a pro right away.

What type of guitar is it?

it is a washburn tahoe
Quote by KenG
I agree with the pro advice as it was the same thing I said. I disagree though that (lack of) humidity won't cause major damage! It can destroy a guitar. Anything from split tops or backs to possibly even a neck block if it had a flaw in it to start with. Again when someone reports a problem no one can tell for sure what the problem is simply from a persons description. Even pics sometimes aren't enough whcih is why for something like this you need to go seek competent help. There's no way there's a quick fix for this.

yea thats what i thought as well no fixin this....but it is such a beatiful and beautiful sounding guitar i just want another just like it but its not the first problem....the saddle or whatever also started coming up but i got it fixed TWICE!!!....i guess i need to break down and go for a different one(guitar)
ok now the seam around the bottom of the neck is coming unglued or something its got to be the truss rod....or is it?
Is there any chance it got wet? Someone spilled a beer inside an it sat there for a week? or sumthing .. sumthing.... It sounds like the wood is expanding... the reason I say this.. when you remove a neck, you require steam and mousture to loose the glue.... Since your glue is coming loose naturally, it almost sounds like there has been too much moisture. Do you live by a large body of water?

This would be pretty rare however, and likely one of the other scenario's mentioned is true... but thought I'd throw it out there.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
i paid $380 then paid $100 to glue the saddle back down...washburn tahoe d36sdl....
I'd just go for a new guitar. It'll cost about as much as you paid for the guitar to get the neck fixed....

But in the future, since you live next to a good sized lake, you need to DE humidify your guitar. What happened to the neck and bridge isn't a fluke thing. The humid air around you caused the glue to loosen, and the tension of the strings has caused your guitar to literally start folding in on itself from the major pressure points. Of course, this is all assuming that it is humid where you live as well, but I know that I've never been to a lake that didn't have humid air around it.

Dehumidifying the air where your guitar will be stored and primarily played at will prevent this from happening in the future. It sucks that this happened, but at least now you know, right?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
could you maybe glue it back yourself? hehe...

and yeah, check the humidity level where you store it..

is it like a closet? your room on a stand, or do you have some kinda case?
Quote by jrock05
yea actually, right next to a pretty good size lake

Before you buy new, or repair, you should really spend 20 - 30 bucks to get a humidity gauge. Radio Shack, Circuit city, Sears..... etc etc... ..

At least you'd know what your dealing with. There's all kinds of threads on the proper humidity level. I never really took it seriously for a lot of years until someone gave me a meter as a gift and I found that my house was sitting at 25% humidity during the winter. When I was growing up and we lived in southern Ontario near the great lakes, the humidity in summer was sometimes 75% which is at the opposite end of the scale, but does just as much damage.

Now that I control the humidity in my house, (43 - 47% at any give time), my guitars far easier to tune and keep their tune far better, and as an added bonus, I no longer suffer from a dry itchy nose and a snore much less.

At the price you paid for that guitar, I'm doubting low humidity did much because it's likely to have laminated wood although I don't know that model. If you're near a lake, it's possible the glue was softened by high humidity. I had a friend you used to leave his out after campfires and the morning dew got to his. In Ontario, we ran de-humidifiers from Spring to Fall.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES