does anybody know where drop d tuning originated?? its been buggin me for a while now
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Some guy probably dropped his guitar on the ground, it tuned to a drop D and then he played it and was like "Heeey...!"
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Some guy probably dropped his guitar on the ground, it tuned to a drop D and then he played it and was like "Heeey...!"

Then he got in his Jeep and was like "Brah!"
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by Kensai

LMAO!!!!!!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
i think it's become obvious now
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
It probably originated from a young impatient metal head attacking his tuning pegs to br00talify them up, then he came accross Drop-D and stabbed a pigeon in celebration.
I recall seeing somewhere it originated a few hundred years ago...
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Maybe the first person to use it just wanted to play one finger power chords, then other people thought that it was a cool and useful tuning.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
I think it's easy for someone to figure out the D tuning, the powerchord is a simple shape, but if you downtune the root note to 1 full step you can make it even simpler and play the power chord with one finger.

It makes you brootalz.
Bach wanted to play some hardxcore because he was soooooooo hxc! He was so tr00 and br00tal.
Standard tuning (western) was derived from a couple hundred years worth of trial and error in the guitar world. As far as dropped D, thats pretty simple: once upon a time there was metal head who actually studied theory...
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Quote by LordPino
Bach wanted to play some hardxcore because he was soooooooo hxc! He was so tr00 and br00tal.

Everyone knows it was Vivaldi n00b!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Well, since its a simple way of using an alternating bass while playing other stuff higher up the neck, apparently. It's been around for a long time though. Federic Torroba used it a lot, if I remember correctly.
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
you are a real guitarist when you are not ashamed about masturbating to musicians friend magazine.
You're all wrong...

The Drop D tuning was develop by Samuel Drop in 1846. It's true. Look it up.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Simsimius
Everyone knows it was Vivaldi n00b!

f*ck you! handel ftw!

THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Everyone knows it was Odysseus, lol.
Odysseus was one of the main Achaean leaders in the Trojan War. The others were "godlike" Achilles, Agamemnon "lord of men", Menelaus, Nestor, Telamonian Ajax and Ajax the Lesser, Diomedes and Teucer the master archer.

When the Achaean ships reached the beach of Troy, no one would jump ashore, since there was an oracle that the first Achaean to jump on Trojan soil would die. Odysseus tossed his shield on the shore and jumped on his shield. He was followed by Protesilaus, who jumped on Trojan soil and later became the first to die.

Odysseus never forgave Palamedes for unmasking his madness ruse, leading him to frame him as a traitor. At one point, Odysseus convinced a Trojan captive to write a letter pretending to be from Palamedes. A sum of gold was mentioned to have been sent as a reward for Palamedes's treachery. Odysseus then killed the prisoner and hid the gold in Palamedes's tent. He ensured that the letter was found and acquired by Agamemnon, and also gave hints directing the Argives to the gold. This was evidence enough for the Greeks and they had Palamedes stoned to death. Other sources say that Odysseus and Diomedes goaded Palamedes into descending a wall with the prospect of treasure being at the bottom. When Palamedes reached the bottom, the two proceeded to bury him with stones, killing him.

Odysseus was one of the most influential Greek champions during the Trojan War. Along with Nestor and Idomeneus he was one of the most trusted counsellors and advisers. He always championed the Achaean cause, especially when the king was in question, as in one instance when Thersites spoke against him. When Agamemnon, to test the morale of the Achaeans, announced his intentions to depart Troy, Odysseus restored order to the Greek camp. Later on in the Iliad, after many of the heroes had left the battlefield due to injuries (including Odysseus and Agamemnon), Odysseus once again persuaded Agamemnon not to withdraw. Along with two other envoys, he was chosen in the failed embassy to try to persuade Achilles to return to combat.
He then played guitar in Drop D tuning.
Drop D for guitar has been around for at least 200 years. They appear in other instruments even earlier, and Bach (17th century) has a few Drop D stuff. Led Zeppelin probably started the one finger power-chord, in the song Bron-Y-Aur Stomp from their third album. (I swear it's not from Wikipedia)
Last edited by jimmyled at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by gizmodious
Standard tuning (western) was derived from a couple hundred years worth of trial and error in the guitar world. As far as dropped D, thats pretty simple: once upon a time there was metal head who actually studied theory...

you don't have to read theory to figure out drop D

Favorite solos:

Comfortably Numb
Since I've Been Loving you
Wicked World
Mr. Crowley
Welcome To BucketheadLand
Perfect Crime
Lazy
Nightrain
The Lemon Song
Quote by lutfish
Everyone knows it was Odysseus, lol.
Odysseus was one of the main Achaean leaders in the Trojan War. The others were "godlike" Achilles, Agamemnon "lord of men", Menelaus, Nestor, Telamonian Ajax and Ajax the Lesser, Diomedes and Teucer the master archer.

When the Achaean ships reached the beach of Troy, no one would jump ashore, since there was an oracle that the first Achaean to jump on Trojan soil would die. Odysseus tossed his shield on the shore and jumped on his shield. He was followed by Protesilaus, who jumped on Trojan soil and later became the first to die.

Odysseus never forgave Palamedes for unmasking his madness ruse, leading him to frame him as a traitor. At one point, Odysseus convinced a Trojan captive to write a letter pretending to be from Palamedes. A sum of gold was mentioned to have been sent as a reward for Palamedes's treachery. Odysseus then killed the prisoner and hid the gold in Palamedes's tent. He ensured that the letter was found and acquired by Agamemnon, and also gave hints directing the Argives to the gold. This was evidence enough for the Greeks and they had Palamedes stoned to death. Other sources say that Odysseus and Diomedes goaded Palamedes into descending a wall with the prospect of treasure being at the bottom. When Palamedes reached the bottom, the two proceeded to bury him with stones, killing him.

Odysseus was one of the most influential Greek champions during the Trojan War. Along with Nestor and Idomeneus he was one of the most trusted counsellors and advisers. He always championed the Achaean cause, especially when the king was in question, as in one instance when Thersites spoke against him. When Agamemnon, to test the morale of the Achaeans, announced his intentions to depart Troy, Odysseus restored order to the Greek camp. Later on in the Iliad, after many of the heroes had left the battlefield due to injuries (including Odysseus and Agamemnon), Odysseus once again persuaded Agamemnon not to withdraw. Along with two other envoys, he was chosen in the failed embassy to try to persuade Achilles to return to combat.
He then played guitar in Drop D tuning.

Wtf? Do you just really love Homer and thought you would write an essay about Odysseus in an unrelated thread, even though no one's going to read it?
Drink wine and screw"

C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

Quote by maninthebox24
Wtf? Do you just really love Homer and thought you would write an essay about Odysseus in an unrelated thread, even though no one's going to read it?

It's called ctrl+c/ctrl+v.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Like most musical concepts, its origins would be all but impossible to trace.

And as soon as you do, you will find some other camp who has equally compelling evidence for another theory.

Therefore, WHO GIVES A ****!!!

(see what four years of college will get ya?)
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

i thought the Odysseus essay was pretty badass

THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
It's a technique that far far predates metal. Early slide guitarists figured out that in order to make proper use of a slider, which only makes a good sound if the strings are tuned to a chord (usually major). The most easy key to tune down to was obviously D, as 2 of the strings are already in the right place and there is no potentially string snapping up tuning involved.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
You're all wrong...

The Drop D tuning was develop by Samuel Drop in 1846. It's true. Look it up.

Wow really?!

Hey! Wait a minute!
somebody got bored of 4ths?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Though used extensively in heavy metal and hard rock, Drop D tunings can be traced to earlier folk musicians. It allows power chords (also known as barre fifth chords) to be played with a single finger on the lowest three strings. It is also used extensively in classical guitar music and transcriptions since it allows open strings to sound the tonic and dominant as part of the bassline in the keys of D and D minor. Some guitarists choose to use a capo on the second fret with this tuning so that they can retain the ease of playing power chords without the darker sound created by the D tuning.
Quote by dm1925
texas ftw!
we're saving the world, one zombie at a time

Quote by ThePastRecedes
Yo Bob Dylan, I'm really happy for you an I'm gonna let you finish, but Jimi Hendrix had one of the best versions of All Along the Watchtower of all time!
Quote by MedicreDemon
It's called ctrl+c/ctrl+v.

I was kidding. And I'm too lazy to see if that's from Wikipedia, but my guess is that it is.
Drink wine and screw"

C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"