Hi, So now ive sold my amps and am thinking what to get. As i found in the open day all rooms and practice rooms have PA systems and bigger amplifiers if needed all I need is a small amp for practicing in these rooms. Budget up to £400. Needs to be versitle and work with my main guitar, fender strat. Mainly alot of modern rock is my personal taste kinda like biffy clyro sound but needs to play blues and jazz as required for my degree.

Please recommend. Thinking about -

Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Blackstar HT-5
Fender Blues Junior
Orange AD-5
Hughes and Kettner Ed. 25th Anniversary Tube
Last edited by JamesGale at Apr 12, 2009,
For room practice, I would go with a little solid state or hybrid modeler.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
engl looks good, shall check it out. Not sure bout cornford, not heard too much about them so therefore wouldn't spend that amount of money on it unless i heard some seriously good reviews. I really would want a valve, and this amp would be used mainly practice but also at gigs (mic up) and recording simple demos.
Mate conford are not be frowned upon They are some of the best amps around. The cornford is a great combo and although 6 watts will be great for bedroom levels i doubt its gonna fill a medium venue.

Go for the screamer! Check out 2nd hand ones on ebay, they go for around £420/500

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in4z9Rk3pQM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4sF7ZK4W1A&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrHmgjcrsJs&feature=related

Hope that helps
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Feb 6, 2009,
Quote by JamesGale
engl looks good, shall check it out. Not sure bout cornford, not heard too much about them so therefore wouldn't spend that amount of money on it unless i heard some seriously good reviews. I really would want a valve, and this amp would be used mainly practice but also at gigs (mic up) and recording simple demos.

Joe Satriani and Joe Perry both use Cornfords for recording, if I'm not mistaken. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
ok ok but is this cornford a good one or just a cheaper version of an awesome high end amps
any other recommendations except the Cornford and Engl, want to explore my options as possible I'm not doubting Cornford has good tone I was just not as familiar with them as I am with Engl and other amp manufacturers.

Please recommend more dudes
Keep it. Just purchase a 1X12 combo, seriously there's not much size difference froom a head/cab than a combo
Man, you certainly lack for patience.

Hughes & Kettner Statesman
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade
Laney LC30 (haven't played, but heard good things about)

The Cornford is probably your best bet.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Get one of the Line 6 Spider series(3 is recomended). They are very easy to use nd all of them have headhone/lineout jacks and u can plug in pedals to spider 3 and u can put a cd player/mp3 player into it.
Quote by timbit2006
Get one of the Line 6 Spider series(3 is recomended). They are very easy to use nd all of them have headhone/lineout jacks and u can plug in pedals to spider 3 and u can put a cd player/mp3 player into it.

what the f*ck is wrong with you?
you must not even know what a cornford is.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
what the f*ck is wrong with you?
you must not even know what a cornford is.

+1
haha sorry that im impatient guys, and haha to the line 6 option. I think i will pass.
checked out the cornford, and it sounds amazing on there sound samples, quite proggy reminds me of like earlyish dream theater. Anyways for like practicing with a band it wouldnt be loud enough would it? Only being 6 watts?
Last edited by JamesGale at Feb 9, 2009,
Uh...6 tube watts is more than enough for practice. You could mic that and take it to the stage if you wanted.

and stop double posting. use the edit button.

Don't judge me.
Quote by JamesGale
checked out the cornford, and it sounds amazing on there sound samples, quite proggy reminds me of like earlyish dream theater. Anyways for like practicing it wouldnt be loud enough would it? Only being 6 watts?

If I've played shows with my 15w MG, you should be fine with the Cornford. Just put it somewhere at ear level (i.e. on a table or something) and it'll work out.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
+1 on the Cornford Harlequin
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Mitchell?
Vox Night Train.

They dont look like what im looking for plus I want a combo
Certainly in a different price range, but I have the Blackheart Little Giant and I would recommend it. It benefits greatly from a quick tube switch. The only thing that I don't like is that there is no master/gain, so I can't get it to break up at low volumes unless I use a pedal. If you are practicing with a band, that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, 5W does not sound like much but it was much louder than I expected, so I don't think that you will have a hard time keeping up with the band.
used (possibly new i dont know about the currency conversion) vox ac15
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Epiphone Blues Custom 30
Blackstar HT-5
Used Vox AC15
Laney VC15
Laney LC15
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Randall RG50TC
Used Peavey Classic 30
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The Vox AC15 doesn't have enough gain to play modern rock. The Night Train though...
any other things i should try, ill try a vox ac15 and see whether it caters for my tastes.
The H&K 20th Anny Edition Tube is easily the most versatile amp on the list. Will do everything from Modern Metal to SRV type cleans. I had one but moved on to a Soldano. The H&K had better cleans than the Soldano by..... a LOT.

For what you want to do, I think it's a no brainer if you can score a Tube H&K in budget.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.