Hi,
After watching all these amazing guitarists improvising and soloing, I begin to wonder if they know exactly what they are going to play before they play it (surely) and when they were first able to do this. I've been playing guitar for about 3 years and I know some scales so I know what will sound good when jamming in a key and I know what some intervals will sound like, but is there a point when you can imagine a riff or lick and instantly translate that onto the guitar and if so, how long does this take to develop? Cheers
no it's all about releasing the inner you.. if you feel like doing that, you do that, if you feel like that, you do that.. at least that's what i think.. it just comes out of you.
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
with time and general affinty with it.

i mean i just know what sounds good with other things, they probably do to - but in a more thero-ised way. (?:P)
Once you know enough theory to make it look like you never knew theory.
Hello
When you know enough to not have to think of what to play next.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Serjem
no it's all about releasing the inner you.. if you feel like doing that, you do that, if you feel like that, you do that.. at least that's what i think.. it just comes out of you.

That's guys dam'n right, in relation to that, I've been playing 5 weeks and I can pull off some awesome riffs on the spot, simply 'cus I feel like it. You can either go with your gut or you can learn music like a science, that up to you - I just know what works for me.
Gear;
- B.C. Rich Warbeast Bloodbound
- B.C. Rich NT Zombie 5-String Bass
- BOSS GT-10 Multi Effects TANK!
...In other words, I'm taking a giant dump on fender owners who use pods.
Yes you will develop this.

Everyone can develop this;

IT will develop just like words and you know what to say when to say it.

IF you played enough, you have a feeling or idea linked with all the notes ideas etc.

You have to keep practising though.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by TW_Rork
Hi,
After watching all these amazing guitarists improvising and soloing, I begin to wonder if they know exactly what they are going to play before they play it (surely) and when they were first able to do this. I've been playing guitar for about 3 years and I know some scales so I know what will sound good when jamming in a key and I know what some intervals will sound like, but is there a point when you can imagine a riff or lick and instantly translate that onto the guitar and if so, how long does this take to develop? Cheers

It's like learning a language. The more you speak it, the more fluent you become.

Don't worry about when.... It will happen when it happens.

just listen, learn, play, create and most importantly..... enjoy.
Quote by Serjem

Yeah. To a large extent it's about getting out of your own way.

There's more going on that simply hearing a melody in your head and then playing it.
Sometimes I get a melody and "head towards" it, sometimes I experiment and see what happens, sometimes it's just a feeling.

I wouldn't be real concerned about hearing exactly what you want to play come out first. It doesn't necessarily have to work that way.
i like to think of my soloing as a conversation except while i solo i go through a whole slue of emotions and feelings that i try to convey through my music. So in a conversation you don't plan out your sentence you just say what you mean that's kind of how i think of soloing.(heheh i stay lots of stupid stuffs)

it helps to not just understand specific scales but also how it sounds when you break key and do chromatic runs or just odd notes outside of the key. this can either be a way to sound really really crappy or it can change the feeling of something and make it really really cool.

keep in mind tho that genius comes to those who work for long long hours just waiting for the perfect accident to make things just right. so practice sloppy and practice smooth and practice legato and staccato and different rhythms and different keys and different scales and changing scales and just practice practice practice and never don't experiment when you practice. nu stuff is the best stuff in improv. nobody likes it when you make up the same solo over and over again:]

peace
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
squire strat- currently in process of getting custom finish!

gassing for warmoth build
Quote by decayingdave
That's guys dam'n right, in relation to that, I've been playing 5 weeks and I can pull off some awesome riffs on the spot, simply 'cus I feel like it. You can either go with your gut or you can learn music like a science, that up to you - I just know what works for me.

LOL! You are such a full of crap troll. Where are the videos?