hello everybody!

i have been playing for 2 years and i have learn some things ( not as much as i should have learned
)but right now im trying to improve my solo skills...
i was thinking about choosing a scale to memorize it and later work on improvisation...
but my problem is that i just cant decide about what scale i should choose -.-...
can anyone give me some tips to help me choosing scale?

pentatonic dude, most used and easiest to remember

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
pentatonic is probably the easiest to do, and you can add the "blues note" to make the blues scale if you like that sort of thing. it's good for rock and stuff too.
Pentatonic and the Blues Scale.

Good places to start.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Start with a major scale and build from there. Pentatonic is just a major scale with a few notes left out and a Minor scale would not be hard to learn from there.
Jesus loves you.
Damn. Was beaten to it.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I need somebody HELP! not just anybody HELP! i jest need someone HELP
When I was younger so much younger than today. I never needed anybody's help in anyway....

Learn how to use the box method for blues impro. Its super easy to memorize and it can be easily placed anywhere in any key
Quote by Tyler Durden
pentatonic dude, most used and easiest to remember

in fact i have already tried the pentatonic but...i dont know something tells me that isnt the type of scale that im looking for...i know that with it one can do very cool solos (as well with the others xD)...i have looked to the exotic scales too but it sounds a kind odd...

sorry if something is not well written...my english is a bit rusty
once youve mastered the pentatonic minor scale, go onto learn modes. learn aeolian and dorian modes and try and mix up the pentatonic scale with notes from these - just mix them up - slash does this and sounds pretty good.
Quote by wardyh
once youve mastered the pentatonic minor scale, go onto learn modes. learn aeolian and dorian modes and try and mix up the pentatonic scale with notes from these - just mix them up - slash does this and sounds pretty good.

hmm i like your suggestion ...but the last thing that i want is turn my style into a "slash style clone"...wouldnt that make my playing style very similiar to slash?in fact im a slash fan and i love his technique...my three primary influences are slash,zakk wylde and buckethead...i would like use these styles to build up my own style but trying to avoid being much similar to one of them....
excuse me if something isnt well written but im trying to express myself as clearly as possible....
Quote by MrRod
hmm i like your suggestion ...but the last thing that i want is turn my style into a "slash style clone"...wouldnt that make my playing style very similiar to slash?in fact im a slash fan and i love his technique...my three primary influences are slash,zakk wylde and buckethead...i would like use these styles to build up my own style but trying to avoid being much similar to one of them....
excuse me if something isnt well written but im trying to express myself as clearly as possible....

None of those people play anything alike. Buckethead is god. Slash wants to look cool. and zakk wylde drinks alot of beer.
If you wanted to combine them you would have a beer keg in your bucket with i bendy straw going through your mask. And wear shiny shoes.
Quote by MrRod

yeah i hear you. but most of the 'great' guitarists are influenced by blues so thats also a way to go if you want to progress yourself in the same vain as them. but you wont sound exactly the same, you always have your own technique but the modes would help massively anyway, and you would soon develop your own style naturally
Quote by wardyh
yeah i hear you. but most of the 'great' guitarists are influenced by blues so thats also a way to go if you want to progress yourself in the same vain as them. but you wont sound exactly the same, you always have your own technique but the modes would help massively anyway, and you would soon develop your own style naturally

hmm ok...so maybe the blues scale is the best scale to start right?about the modes...what mode/modes do you sugest?

thanks for the help dude
Quote by MrRod
hmm ok...so maybe the blues scale is the best scale to start right?about the modes...what mode/modes do you sugest?

thanks for the help dude

i'd learn all of them. there are 7. just start from ionian (which is actually Cmajor). once you know that learn the dorian - this is the second mode and this begins on the second step of the ionian scale. the third mode is phrygian and this starts on the third note of the ionian.

it sounds complicated!
but for example this is a 2 octave c major scale - CDEFGABCDEFGABC
within this scale you can find all 7 modes - C Ionian, D Dorian, E Phrygian, F Lydian, G Mixolydian, A Aeolian, or B Locrian mode all in the key of C Major.

once you get all that down, your sorted man. modes help to understand the composition of chords and scales and help create melodies, and improvisation
Quote by wardyh
i'd learn all of them. there are 7. just start from ionian (which is actually Cmajor). once you know that learn the dorian - this is the second mode and this begins on the second step of the ionian scale. the third mode is phrygian and this starts on the third note of the ionian.

it sounds complicated!
but for example this is a 2 octave c major scale - CDEFGABCDEFGABC
within this scale you can find all 7 modes - C Ionian, D Dorian, E Phrygian, F Lydian, G Mixolydian, A Aeolian, or B Locrian mode all in the key of C Major.

once you get all that down, your sorted man. modes help to understand the composition of chords and scales and help create melodies, and improvisation

hmm yes im understanding it...ok i will follow your advice and learn the modes as fast as i can...

again i thank you for the help