So a couple of weeks ago, I was working at a place where the owner was remodelling and I had him smash up a hardwood exterior door, so I could have the long side.

It seems to be mahogany.

Allowing for planing and so on, I reckon I have a use able bit of wood 5 1/2 feet long, 2.5 inches wide and 1.5 inches thick.

Is this wide/thick enough fro most necks?

Thought I could do a neck through with but with a top, so only visible from one side hence doesn't need to be as thick, or a set neck etc.

I assume it will be wide enough, given that it will be regular scale lengths 24-25.5 ish?

What do we think?
i just measured my neck and yes, it is thick enough for most electric guitar necks

but just barely at the joint
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Feb 6, 2009,
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
i just measured my neck and yes, it is thick enough for most electric guitar necks

but just barely at the joint

Most bolt ons are only 19mm or so thick, at teh body join, then there is 6-7mm of fret board to add.

Cool. So I should be able to make a neck from that then, cool.
I don't think it is wide enough for a neck......2.5in is 50mm and most necks are 55mm at the 22nd fret....you might be able to add binding to get it wide enough
Quote by sytharnia1560
I don't think it is wide enough for a neck......2.5in is 50mm and most necks are 55mm at the 22nd fret....you might be able to add binding to get it wide enough

Go do your Maths homework again dude.

63.5mm
plus adding binding isn't going to extend it, you have to take wood away to add binding PLUS this is the neck not the fretboard
You can always turn it on its side and use it as lams

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
You can always turn it on its side and use it as lams

Good idea

Purpleheart here I come!
Quote by sytharnia1560
you might be able to add binding to get it wide enough
lol, and just have some random binding sticking out or what?

3/4 size guitars, for the little ones!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."