Hey guys, this is my first post here. I've had my guitar for about a year now, but I just started getting serious about it almost 2 months ago. One thing that has been confusing me is the different types of scale patters that there are. My original understanding was that you could take the major scale and move it all around the neck and it would be the same pattern. However, when I go to my scale book or to some online sites, there are different patterns for the major scale all around the neck. Pretty much I'm just really confused about this and want to know so i don't waste my practice time learning stuff that doesn't matter.

Thanks for the help in advance.
ok, u can move the major scale in different positions but it then becomes a different scale.
its no longer a major scale. its now a mode. look in the lessons for the theory lesson
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Well, the major scale is just a series of notes. Since there's only 12 notes in music and over 130 frets on the guitar, obviously the notes repeat themselves. There are multiple "shapes" of the major scale. Play these two A major scale shapes:

E--------------------------------------------------------
B----------------------------------7-9-10-------------
G--------------------------6-7-9-----------------------
D------------------6-7-9-------------------------------
A----------5-7-9---------------------------------------
E--5-7-9-----------------------------------------------

E-----------------------------------2-4-5--------------
B---------------------------2-3-5----------------------
G-------------------1-2-4------------------------------
D--------------2-4-------------------------------------
A-----2-4-5--------------------------------------------
E--5----------------------------------------------------

Notice how they sound exactly the same? That's because the notes repeat multiple times on the fretboard, so there's multiple ways to play a series of notes depending on when you move to the next string. The reason you see different shapes for different keys is because one website may use one shape for teaching purposes and another website uses a different shape. If you look up A major on one website and C major on the other, it's easy to get confused.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Last edited by philipp122 at Feb 6, 2009,
Quote by Sakattack75
ok, u can move the major scale in different positions but it then becomes a different scale.
its no longer a major scale. its now a mode. look in the lessons for the theory lesson

Also, this is wrong. If you move the A major scale up two frets, it becomes the B major scale. if you started on a different note of the A major scale, but kept within the B major scale, it would be a mode.

TS, don't begin to worry about modes yet. You probably won't even use them for a long time.

EDIT: Stupid typo, sorry
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Last edited by philipp122 at Feb 6, 2009,
Quote by philipp122
Also, this is wrong. If you move the A major scale up two frets, it becomes the C major scale. if you started on a different note of the A major scale, but kept within the A major scale, it would be a mode.

TS, don't begin to worry about modes yet. You probably won't even use them for a long time.

You mean three frets. You would get a C major scale if you move the A major scale up three frets.

TS, I would recommend learning the notes of the fretboard and how to construct scales. Then you can figure out the notes of a scale yourself.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
Quote by maninthebox24
You mean three frets. You would get a C major scale if you move the A major scale up three frets.

TS, I would recommend learning the notes of the fretboard and how to construct scales. Then you can figure out the notes of a scale yourself.

No, I actually meant B major lol :P. Sorry, typo.
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Learn the notes on the fretboard and learn what a scale actually is, then you can use patterns to help you locate the scale easier.
Quote by philipp122
No, I actually meant B major lol :P. Sorry, typo.

No worries, I figured that you just made a typo, since you're posts were actually accurate, unlike the first replier's post.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
Just wanted to say thanks for the help. I'm currently making my way through the massive beginners music theory lesson...its really big.

And it should help that next semester I'm taking music theory, I guess that way I can get a head start
Yeah, a head start is always nice . Just take it slow.

I'm glad to see that you're taking the time to learn theory. Start with the very basics. Learn what the major scale actually is. It is simply a set of intervals, and it is pretty much the basis for all music. However, that simple set of intervals is used for many things. For example, you use it to construct chords, and the scale you use determines what key you are in. A set key has its own set of notes and chords based on its relative major scale. You use the chords to write progressions and the notes of the scale to write solos or harmonies. So you can see how it's all connected.

Once you learn about chord construction and how it is related to the major scale and the key you are in, it will make perfect sense. unfortunately, the Internet is filled with information of questionable creditability. I recommend The Crusades, an article on this website, to help you learn theory. Good luck, and hav fun with it .
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401