Page 1 of 2
Peavey Valve king 100wt tube head

OR

Peavey Xxl 100wt SS head [not tube, typo]

which is better? or do both suck?

Musical style: hardrock mostly. sometimes clean. sometimes metal.

Price/Budget: both heads are 350$. max budget is 550-600.
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

Last edited by koalabacon at Feb 6, 2009,
I'm, assuming the XXL is related to the XXX, so that one
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
that doesnt do me much good
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

The XXL is solid state, but I can't offer an opinion on it.

The VK will do hard rock nicely, but needs a boost and EQ pedal to do metal well. Has pretty nice cleans for what you pay for.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The XXL is solid state, but I can't offer an opinion on it.

The VK will do hard rock nicely, but needs a boost and EQ pedal to do metal well. Has pretty nice cleans for what you pay for.

soooo the VK has less options on it and itd need a bigger eq and possibly a pedal to play nicely on higher gain settings?
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

That's a tough call...is there any reason why it has to be one of the two?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
That's a tough call...is there any reason why it has to be one of the two?

because ill only need one?

that and i want whats best for my money.
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by koalabacon
soooo the VK has less options on it and itd need a bigger eq and possibly a pedal to play nicely on higher gain settings?

Well, it's certainly capable of metal on its own (although it may want a smidgen more gain for your tastes, assuming we're talking about modern metal here) and it doesn't need a "bigger" EQ - the thing about an eq pedal is that you can cut and boost certain frequencies, which you don't usually get with an amp's EQ. Usually with an amp you can only cut frequencies (with 10 being the maximum of a certain range of frequencies that an amp can put out)

Plus, you get to cut and boost individual frequencies with an equalizer pedal (i.e. 125 Hz, 250 Hz, 500 Hz, 1k, 2k, and so on) allowing you much more control over your tone. Check out the Valveking thread for more information.

The overdrive pedal will add just a touch more gain, while tightening up your sound nicely. With most amps, an overdrive pedal is nice to have.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
Well, it's certainly capable of metal on its own (although it may want a smidgen more gain for your tastes, assuming we're talking about modern metal here) and it doesn't need a "bigger" EQ - the thing about an eq pedal is that you can cut and boost certain frequencies, which you don't usually get with an amp's EQ. Usually with an amp you can only cut frequencies (with 10 being the maximum of a certain range of frequencies that an amp can put out)

Plus, you get to cut and boost individual frequencies with an equalizer pedal (i.e. 125 Hz, 250 Hz, 500 Hz, 1k, 2k, and so on) allowing you much more control over your tone. Check out the Valveking thread for more information.

The overdrive pedal will add just a touch more gain, while tightening up your sound nicely. With most amps, an overdrive pedal is nice to have.

what do you suggest? VK or XXL?
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Tough one. VK will def need an OD pedal imo. Classic rock will probably sound better on VK as will Blues and other styles. Never played and XXL. Ping IbanezPsycho he had a VK and an Ultra, which is similar to the XXL. Tube amps imo are easier to diagnose and fix problems but you also have to maintain and buy new tubes every couple of years.

Out of curiousity, what cab do you have/plan to have? Do you have to have a stack or would a combo work as well? Check craigslist too.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Feb 6, 2009,
what cabinet do you have?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
idk the cab. its a yamaha and its nice as hell. [my dad barrowed it from his job] for whatever reason the model number isnt anywhere visible on it.

i dont want a combo. simply because i dont wanna replace it later in the future for something bigger.

however i do plan to get a new cab for it sometime in the future, something like a marshall JCM 900 or something close that can handle a fair amount of gain and still keep its cleans.
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

A valveking is gonna be alot nicer tone then the XXL. The XXL is a nice budget SS amp but doesnt give you the warmth that a tube amp will.

And out of those two you might want to pick something different all together. Peavey Ultra's are in your budget and can handle anything you throw at them. Also you can get a used Triple on that budget as well. And there s Bugera's, Peavey classic's and a whole slu of others...
+1 to used peavey ultra/XXX
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
The XXL will give you a more modern metal tone. The VK gets close to it, but gain gets muddy compared to the XXL. I have owned an XXL before, and for a SS amp, you can't really get much better. The Valveking cleans will be better though, much better in my opinion.

It matters what you would rather have, a pretty brutal distortion, or a decent distortion with a good clean.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by koalabacon
idk the cab. its a yamaha and its nice as hell. [my dad barrowed it from his job] for whatever reason the model number isnt anywhere visible on it.

i dont want a combo. simply because i dont wanna replace it later in the future for something bigger.

however i do plan to get a new cab for it sometime in the future, something like a marshall JCM 900 or something close that can handle a fair amount of gain and still keep its cleans.

Can you explain the bold parts a little better?
I hate Valvekings, they sound sterile

The XXL is solid state which is probably not good but i really don't know anything about it.
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera is, actually, releasing a JCM 900 clone sometime this year for right around your budget, although they're known to have some reliability problems with their Peavey clones. Perhaps you might want to check it out?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by tomguitarworshi
I hate Valvekings, they sound sterile

The XXL is solid state which is probably not good but i really don't know anything about it.
I VK through good speakers (which his cab apparently has) when properly EQ'd doesn't sound even remotely sterile, imo.

Also, don't bash an amp simply because it's SS...there are plenty of good SS amps out there.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Can you explain the bold parts a little better?

what more needs to be explained? maybe you need to read the entire thread?
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by Raijouta
Bugera is, actually, releasing a JCM 900 clone sometime this year for right around your budget, although they're known to have some reliability problems with their Peavey clones. Perhaps you might want to check it out?

releasing? how long will it take for them to actually release it?
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by koalabacon

I heard Q2 2009, but we'll see.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by koalabacon

No, see the thing I was asking is if it had to be one of those amps, not if you were willing to buy both. There are many better options in that range.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
No, see the thing I was asking is if it had to be one of those amps, not if you were willing to buy both. There are many better options in that range.

like what? 350 isnt alot of money. VKs from what ive read are pretty good

if you can name me an amp with little effects but has amazing tone, then please do. because i have pedals equillizers, you name it.
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by koalabacon
what more needs to be explained? maybe you need to read the entire thread?

That's OK. I don't need to read your crappy thread again. I was just trying to help.

Quote by koalabacon

You said you don't want a combo because you may want something bigger later. What? More Speakers? More watts? Big tall schtack? I was just asking what your definition of bigger was.

You then said you planned to get a new cab. Like a JCM 900. Sorry I got confused. Good bye.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
That's OK. I don't need to read your crappy thread again. I was just trying to help.

You said you don't want a combo because you may want something bigger later. What? More Speakers? More watts? Big tall schtack? I was just asking what your definition of bigger was.

You then said you planned to get a new cab. Like a JCM 900. Sorry I got confused. Good bye.

i think i made it pretty clear.

i DONT want a combo, simply because combos arent usually big, and usually amp heads separately have better quality and more watts, plus their more flexible with the amount of ohms they can handle. and if i want i can pretty much hook it up to any set of speakers, as long as the watts and amount of ohms allow me to.

and i plan on getting a more suited cab for my head after i buy one, like a JCM 900.
NOT the head you moron the CAB.

if you dont have enough common sense to infer the simple things in this thread, just dont respond. Good bye.

and fix YOUR spelling. thats just inexcusable
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by koalabacon
already looked at both.

i dont really like windsors and laneys sound kinda muddy to me when i play them.

Laney's tend to be really bright and sharp. I don't really know what you're talking about, but from what I can see, it seems pretty clear that you're up on a big high horse and you think a bit too much of yourself. Don't double post.

Don't judge me.
Quote by koalabacon

i DONT want a combo, simply because combos arent usually big, and usually amp heads separately have better quality and more watts, plus their more flexible with the amount of ohms they can handle. and if i want i can pretty much hook it up to any set of speakers, as long as the watts and amount of ohms allow me to.

and i plan on getting a more suited cab for my head after i buy one, like a JCM 900.

if you dont have enough common sense to infer the simple things in this thread, just dont respond. Good bye.

and fix YOUR spelling. thats just inexcusable

you do realize that if your gonna be a big douchebag, we dont have to help you.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

Yeah, he is coming across as a bit of a douche.

You say you want the best for your money, get a combo instead.

You'll say that you already have a cab so it will be more expensive but if you're gonna get a "JCM cab" (i presume you're talking about a 1960 or something like that considering to my knowledge there is no Marshall cab called a JCM, they're just the heads) you'll end up spending a lot more.

Something tells me you're not trying to get the best bang for your buck, you're just trying to get that penis extension that we all long for.

Stop coming across as a douche, no-one here has to help you and if you're gonna be an idiot to everyone, no-one will!

EDIT: Combo's are big enough, hence most heads, also come in combo forms. Amp heads do have good qualities about them but for your price range the pro's for heads don't outweigh the cons. Correct me if i'm wrong but i think the Valveking is only 16 ohms, not more flexable than combo's
Last edited by Gwynnell at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

i explained to him everything he had questions about. if he had the right to call my thread crappy, i had the right to call him out on spelling and his own misunderstanding.
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by Gwynnell

EDIT: Combo's are big enough, hence most heads, also come in combo forms. Amp heads do have good qualities about them but for your price range the pro's for heads don't outweigh the cons. Correct me if i'm wrong but i think the Valveking is only 16 ohms, not more flexable than combo's
The VK head has a toggle for 4, 8, and 16 ohms.

The combos are all 16 ohms though.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Ferrets!
The VK head has a toggle for 4, 8, and 16 ohms.

The combos are all 16 ohms though.

Oh right, you learn something new everyday

Still, for that price range, combo will suit him a lot better.
Quote by koalabacon

Being a complete douche isn't a good way to get help.

Have you tried the new MG series 4 amps? You really should I think you would be surprised.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Gwynnell
Yeah, he is coming across as a bit of a douche.

You say you want the best for your money, get a combo instead.

You'll say that you already have a cab so it will be more expensive but if you're gonna get a "JCM cab" (i presume you're talking about a 1960 or something like that considering to my knowledge there is no Marshall cab called a JCM, they're just the heads) you'll end up spending a lot more.

Something tells me you're not trying to get the best bang for your buck, you're just trying to get that penis extension that we all long for.

Stop coming across as a douche, no-one here has to help you and if you're gonna be an idiot to everyone, no-one will!

im still looking at heads and i figure itd be a waste to let the giant speaker in my room go to waste seeing as its a good speaker and its been sitting there for 2 years now.

and as for that penis extension? yes it is true i want a big ****ing amp, but i already have a combo that suits me fine right now. i dont really want another just of better quality.

ill look into the VK about the whole ohms thing.

and ill only be a douche ill people talk to me like one. it pisses me off when people go into threads, question their posts then just call the thread crappy, offering no help what so ever.

EDIT: the combo doesnt exactly suit me fine, its just for practice really
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Last edited by koalabacon at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by gregs1020

Being a complete douche isn't a good way to get help.

Have you tried the new MG series 4 amps? You really should I think you would be surprised.

i have, but i think the line 6 spider lll's are better. they have the best tone for M3T4L.

once again. im only being a douche to the people who treat me like an idiot
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Page 1 of 2